IGNORED

Pitch invasions football/rugby

AshtonPark

8 hours ago, Jarman said:

"What about the Exeter rugby gone game where arrests were made due to fighting in the ground? "

Really .... ???

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/rugby-union/2016/09/26/friday-night-crowd-fracas-at-bristol-is-latest-example-of-rugbys/

Friday night crowd fracas at Bristol is latest example of rugby's falling standards

4 minutes ago, AshtonPark said:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/rugby-union/2016/09/26/friday-night-crowd-fracas-at-bristol-is-latest-example-of-rugbys/

Friday night crowd fracas at Bristol is latest example of rugby's falling standards

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/news/bristol-news/watch-moment-bristol-rugby-banter-225889

Yes, there were arrests...

On 15/04/2018 at 13:50, Jarman said:

Rugby fans know how to behave ... that is why you see the crowd with beers and ciders in hand watching the game.  And no segregation ... and hardly a police officer in sight ... even for the Anglo Welsh derbies.  It is a whole different ball game so to speak ... If you said to rugby fans "loads of fans heading towards the away fans" it would make no sense ... both sets of fans are sat side by side ... Is there any other sport where these is crowd segregation, a ban on alcohol, the urge to attack rival supporters, etc.  And even in football it doesn't happen at the vast majority of non league games.  It is very sad ... 

The biggest myth is that Rugby fans are well behaved. 

Yes fans mix and there isn't much trouble, probably because it's never been part and parcel of the game.

Where as hooliganism has been part of football going back to the 70's. 

Numerous time I've been on trains coming back from away games and it's the rugby fans causing the trouble not the football lot.

I'ts to easy to point the finger at football fans who yes are often the ones causing the trouble, but Rugby fans are no saints.

I remember reading a article from a welsh police officer saying in his opinion, more issues occur and it's a tougher day when there's high profile Welsh rugby games at the Millennium than when Cardiff play. 

Once again can I point to German football.

3EE4A3F700000578-4375082-The_loyal-a-48_

Most grounds allow away fans to sit in the home stands, aside from the 'Home End'. Dortmund fans quite happy to sit amongst Schalke for the Ruhr Derby. Their allowed to drink in the stadia too. On top of that they produce atmospheres that are far superior to ours. 

All for a fraction of the price. 

Now there is a growing violence problem at German football, but no one gets 'smacked down the Dolman steps' for celebrating in the wrong end. Mostly hooligans going after each other.

On 14/04/2018 at 20:25, AshtonPark said:

Bristol rugby won promotion, fans were allowed on the pitch following the presentation of the trophy, all happy and civil.

Now when cotts won us the double, the trophy presentation was guarded massively my stewards around the pitch etc. How dare any fan want to join the players happiness etc.

Both these scenes were at Ashton gate, both using the same stewards, no doubt even some of the same fans.

Why the difference? 

On Friday I thought the behaviour of the stewards was poor.  Grown men tackling 12 /13 year kids is not acceptable even if said kid was running on the pitch.  

On 14/04/2018 at 20:25, AshtonPark said:

Bristol rugby won promotion, fans were allowed on the pitch following the presentation of the trophy, all happy and civil.

Now when cotts won us the double, the trophy presentation was guarded massively my stewards around the pitch etc. How dare any fan want to join the players happiness etc.

Both these scenes were at Ashton gate, both using the same stewards, no doubt even some of the same fans.

Why the difference? 

15 minutes ago, The Bard said:

On Friday I thought the behaviour of the stewards was poor.  Grown men tackling 12 /13 year kids is not acceptable even if said kid was running on the pitch.  

You see, these 2 posts- these highlight that on this, the club just can't win!

I mean, I criticise the club when I think it might be necessary, but with this it just encapsulates that on this issue, there will always be somebody unhappy.

8 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

Best not mention the inter university game at AG that resulted in all sorts of trouble.

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/news/bristol-news/watch-moment-bristol-rugby-banter-225889

About the Bristol-Exeter- and I may as well tag @AshtonPark and all.

You mean these arrests etc? (Though probably a lot lighter punishments than playing up at the football).

Inter university one...heard nothing on that, legally speaking. Seems like nothing in the press etc. Some of those tossers will be our future bosses etc, I would wager (into management types).

1 minute ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

You mean these arrests etc? (Though probably a lot lighter punishments than playing up at the football).

Inter university one...heard nothing on that, legally speaking.

It didn`t get to the courts IIRC - they left it to the Universities to deal with it and some were expelled as I understand but we were never told names and pictures/identities weren`t in the media.

A bit different had it been football fans doing the same I`d bet. Pictures of the culprits all over the front page with something like `SCUM!` as the banner headline would be my guess.

1 minute ago, Red Right Hand said:

It didn`t get to the courts IIRC - they left it to the Universities to deal with it and some were expelled as I understand but we were never told names and pictures/identities weren`t in the media.

A bit different had it been football fans doing the same I`d bet. Pictures of the culprits all over the front page with something like `SCUM!` as the banner headline would be my guess.

Yeah, no doubt- football fans would be hauled over the coals.

Bristol-Exeter? £250 fines to them and to the marine who started the whole thing by throwing the pint, pl;us £150 in costs according to the article.

1 minute ago, Red Right Hand said:

No banning orders then? Why am I not surprised.

Don't think rugby banning orders exist as such- that is football specific legislation- but whether the club banned them (and Exeter with the marine who threw the pint)- or indeed to simplify, both clubs banned all involved- anyone's guess.

7 hours ago, Cider-Head23 said:

The biggest myth is that Rugby fans are well behaved. 

Yes fans mix and there isn't much trouble, probably because it's never been part and parcel of the game.

Where as hooliganism has been part of football going back to the 70's. 

Numerous time I've been on trains coming back from away games and it's the rugby fans causing the trouble not the football lot.

I'ts to easy to point the finger at football fans who yes are often the ones causing the trouble, but Rugby fans are no saints.

I remember reading a article from a welsh police officer saying in his opinion, more issues occur and it's a tougher day when there's high profile Welsh rugby games at the Millennium than when Cardiff play. 

Well said.

Previously worked for a catering company at the Millenium Stadium as it was then known. Some of the worst behaviour I have ever seen from human beings, was at rugby, all drink related. And although it's not widely reported in the press (not sure why) rugby related violence does occur - I witnessed first hand fighting between French and Welsh supporters near Cardiff castle post game, along with big fights in Walkabout club between Wales and England and Wales v Australia. 

Archived