IGNORED

Who is to blame and what are our actual ambitions.

WestMidsRed

6 minutes ago, WhistleHappy said:

.... have we got enough building blocks to build a pillar or two?

If so, in your opinion, what should they be?

Correction on my part. For blocks I mean block in the singular. We have in place  a stadium fit for the Premier league.

What we need are personnel on and off the pitch who are fit to operate in that league.

31 minutes ago, Loon plage said:

Correction on my part. For blocks I mean block in the singular. We have in place  a stadium fit for the Premier league.

What we need are personnel on and off the pitch who are fit to operate in that league.

Loon, don't forget the Tardis so we can go back to 1976 and get those personnel cos we're having a bit of trouble with that one at the moment :laughcont:

Why is the question a 'Who' is to blame and not a 'What' is to blame - seems to me everybody wants to pin it on a somebody and not a something.

What about the worst run of longer term injuries we've ever had, worse than Arsenal and that's saying something - the knock on effect of then not being able to rest other players that are carrying injuries/niggles. I still feel that we copped injuries to key players at just the wrong time and that totally stalled our momentum.

1 hour ago, Redstart said:

Why is the question a 'Who' is to blame and not a 'What' is to blame - seems to me everybody wants to pin it on a somebody and not a something.

What about the worst run of longer term injuries we've ever had, worse than Arsenal and that's saying something - the knock on effect of then not being able to rest other players that are carrying injuries/niggles. I still feel that we copped injuries to key players at just the wrong time and that totally stalled our momentum.

What about we knew that long before January and didn't do anything about it?

13 hours ago, Redstart said:

I don't think we can blame injuries entirely but it definitely played a decent part.

MOST CHALLENGING SEASON FOR INJURIES - ALLEN

Head physio Steve Allen says the 2017/18 season has "probably been the most challenging" he has ever experienced in all of his three decades in football.

There have been ten operations to City's players this season, which has seen the likes of Callum O'Dowda (ankle), Milan Djuiric (groin), Eros Pisano (hamstring) and Jens Hegeler (knee) on the sidelines for months.

Pisano and Djuric have recently returned to the first team, while O'Dowda and Hegeler are edging closer to their respective returns.

Matty Taylor has also missed much of the season through injury and underwent surgery for a hernia last month.

Speaking exclusively to BCTV, Allen said: "I’ve been working in professional football for 32 years as a physio and this has been probably the most challenging season I have ever come across."

He described City's ten operations as "an awful lot", adding: "We’re now at the back end of things but it’s been very challenging, very hard work."

He continued: "The injuries have all been serious enough to warrant operations. At one stage at the end of October, start of November was difficult. Some of the lads had had operations and then Ivan Lucic was carried in.

"His knee had locked and he needed surgery too. He was in a bad way and I wasn’t far behind him!

"We would normally expect three or four in a season. We’ve had extremely bad luck. It can go like that sometimes."

I mean, we have to assume for example that it is well above the norm. Covered on here I know, but worth a reminder I think.

If it's above, maybe well above but certainly above the norm, which it appears to have been, I am hopeful we won't have a recurrence next season.

Blame..what blame,we have had an exciting season so far and still an outside opportunity for the play offs..I August we would have been over the moon if we thought we could get anywhere close to our achievements this season. Remain positive and look forward to more progress next season. 

23 hours ago, MarcusX said:

Then why did LJ mention Premier League and Europe not long after he took over?

Managers always say stuff like that to appease gullible fans, you didn’t think he was actually serious did you?

Having watched City since 1990 this has  been an ok season, not terrible, not great, but I can say this, I have witnessed many many worse seasons so on the whole I think although the collapse is disappointing to all, I hope lessons have actually been learned this time and we can push on again.

Yeh we were 2nd at Xmas but so what, we don’t have any right to go up, it went wrong, we won’t be the first or last team to stuff things up, Derby have chucked way more money at promotion over the last few years and always seem to blow it, no change of Manager, expensive January purchases or whatever will every guarantee promotion.

Onwards to more fun and games next season!

That’s the good thing on all these threads 

Whatever our shortcomings you can always use the fact that Derby are mak8ng even more of a mess of it than us

The good ole Bristol City Motto

Whatever happens we can always find  somebody worse than us at any given point  to trot out the point that ‘things could be worse’

On 15/04/2018 at 08:05, WestMidsRed said:

Just to clarify, this isn't a get LJ out thread or a knee-jerk reaction to our poor displays of late. It just got me thinking...

If it isn't Lee Johnson, then who is to blame? We were second placed in the league before Christmas, and that wasn't due to being lucky. I can't blame the cup run, that shouldn't be an excuse for our recent run but at the moment, we look like a mid table side maybe worse compared to how we were before Christmas. Where's it gone wrong? What can the club do to ensure we don't carry on like we are doing into next season. 

giphy.webp

23 hours ago, Tinmans Love Child said:

Managers always say stuff like that to appease gullible fans, you didn’t think he was actually serious did you?

Having watched City since 1990 this has  been an ok season, not terrible, not great, but I can say this, I have witnessed many many worse seasons so on the whole I think although the collapse is disappointing to all, I hope lessons have actually been learned this time and we can push on again.

Yeh we were 2nd at Xmas but so what, we don’t have any right to go up, it went wrong, we won’t be the first or last team to stuff things up, Derby have chucked way more money at promotion over the last few years and always seem to blow it, no change of Manager, expensive January purchases or whatever will every guarantee promotion.

Onwards to more fun and games next season!

Of course I didn't, that's not the point though. Someone replied and said it was the fans' fault for unrealistic expectations. I'm not sure how you can blame the fans if a new manager/head coach comes in and at the start of his first full season says he sees us in Europe in 5 years!

Archived