IGNORED

LJ post match interview

Ivorguy

1 minute ago, GrahamC said:

Fair enough, but this simply means what he said was meaningless & untrue, doesn’t it?

I guess so. Even in this bizarre post-Christmas period I've enjoyed his interviews and rarely disagree with his analysis. What's missing, for the most part, is LJ's ability to change the team's game management either before or during a game. He's a good pundit, probably a good 1:1 coach but might not be ready to take this Bristol City team much further. Looking puzzled and disappointed in an interview is very honest but it doesn't give anyone confidence after an utterly baffling 5-5 draw.

My own take on the situation is that we have approx 15 players who can cut it at this level. They are a good bunch and they will play for each other. But, they all default to type far too easily. They are playing the game that they have always played and not taking notice or understanding fully how the coach wants them to play. At 4-2 up, they should have switched to more defensive styles and killed the game. But they all carried on in the way they started the game. The way they always play. But they were progressively more tired and caught out of position. That game mismanagement is where LJ has lost his promotion. He doesn't seem able to affect the mentality of the players when the game enters a different phase.

46 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

Essentially that.

Really what he said with the "we've tried everything" interview was that they've tried everything and can't seem to get a response from certain players. There are only really two ways to solve that. One would be to see if a different manager could get something out of those players, but clearly LJ isn't going to be the one pushing for that. So that only really leaves the option of moving those players on and bringing different ones in. 

I don't know for sure what is going on with dressing room influences but I honestly think, whatever mistakes were made by LJ yesterday and against Sunderland and Leeds, the manager cannot be single-handed responsible for that sort of collapse. Some of it has to come down to players' mentality. 

Of course, but the team a manager puts out on the field should be in his image.

While LJ has good points without doubt, unpredictability and being prone to collapse are also long standing traits of his management and unfortunately his team reflects that.

A strong and consistent manager would not preside over performances like we saw yesterday and all too often since Christmas.

12 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Of course, but the team a manager puts out on the field should be in his image.

While LJ has good points without doubt, unpredictability and being prone to collapse are also long standing traits of his management and unfortunately his team reflects that.

A strong and consistent manager would not preside over performances like we saw yesterday and all too often since Christmas.

A good team does not go on the horrific runs we have experienced two seasons running

A good manager does not preside over  a side that goes on the horrific runs we have experienced two seasons running

11 hours ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

You could  based on your level of confidence in our recruitment and our head coach

Ok I predict that if LJ stays then we’ll be around mid-table next season. 

If he goes then we’d struggle (based on previous experiences) because Lansdown won’t spend big on a big name manager any more than he will on big name players, so we would get another inexperienced person learning his trade and possibly go down. A bit irrelevant really because I can’t see LJ going - so mid-table is my prediction. 

4 hours ago, Xiled said:

To be fair, GO'N hasn't offered anything useful in the two seasons he's been with us. He's the right type of player but he isn't the answer for us in 2018.

I don't think LJ will ever sign the type of player he was talking about in his post-match interview. Firstly because (like GO'N) they are expensive injury ridden gambles with no resale value. And secondly, he will not want the challenge of managing someone who has played at a higher level, achieved more and could potentially take his job. I think we'll only ever see L1, Prem loans and overseas signings. I'm okay with that because some of them are gems but it's unlikely that we'll sign one who can control a game like yesterday.

The choice of Bailey Wright as captain was an insight into how short we are of genuine leaders.

Wright had been a successful captain at Preston, so it wasn't too outrageous a pick.

I'm probably in a minority on here as someone who rates BW,  but I can't deny he's lost confidence and lost form. 

17 hours ago, Red-Robbo said:

To be honest, I thought he was pretty spot on.  You can set the team up as you want but if some people aren't doing their job (hello Eros, hello Frank) we will still leak goals.

Even with Bob played in a less promising wider role, we were still playing some pretty good stuff up front. It was just every time they got in our box, they scored. 

Wolves style forward play, Bury style defence. 

I think he sounded as shell-shocked as the majority of us and realises major, major changes will have to be made this summer - and we are carrying a few who haven't got what it takes. First up though, he'll ave to address the pisspoor results our "scientific" recruitment policy is giving us.

Absolutely this! 

Lee put a team out to win the game, which they would have done, had it not been for idiotic defensive play. 

The sooner Pisano gets out of the team, we may have a chance of defending properly. 

He is an utter liability and doesn’t bring anything positive, whilst making the rest of our defenders nervous and needing to cover his inept positioning and yet people seem to like him. 

He is stealing a living at a team playing at this level and gets caught out in just about every game he plays. 

And yesterday was one of his better performances!! 

15 hours ago, Bedred31 said:

Fast forward to next February, I can't see him still being in charge. Why commit to another 8 months of trauma? Sorry, but notwithstanding Lee's undoubted qualities, the weaknesses are simply unsolvable. He's genuinely a good bloke who cares about the club. But it's not going to work. So if I were SL I'd be looking for a dignified way out.

West Brom, but only if he takes Ashton with him. :P

Archived