IGNORED

Torquay relegated

Lanterne Rouge

One of the finest atmospheres I’ve witnessed was a Plainmoor.  Torquay v York, last but one game of the 2001 season.  We were on cricket tour (which involved no cricket :whistle:) and went along.  Torquay probably needed to win to survive.  4500 packed in.  Great game, amazing atmosphere.  Fans running on the pitch but actually being helped back over the wall by stewards...mental!

Torquay won away at Barnet the following the weekend to stay up.

Shame they’re on a downward trend.

8 minutes ago, havanatopia said:

Fairly centrally located is Plainmoor... Prime real estate. They should have sold, moved and secured their future a decade ago.

Good luck to them in the lower echelons.

They don’t own it. The Council have the freehold. Not really in a prime real estate territory either. There has been talk of a move, but a bit like The Sags, unrealistic expectations of deals that can be brokered and seem to be hoping that someone will gift them a shiny new stadium. 

Real pity as crowds are decent, the hard core supporters are fanatical and the current ground is great. 

Was looking at their new league only promoted Hereford have any ‘history’, albeit in a reincarnated form. Northern League has a few more ex-league Clubs in it. Sad times. 

It's a shame to see them struggling. Hope they bounce back.

My main City-related memory of Torquay was a game in our 4th division days when I was about 10. Me and my dad always used to sit at the back of B block in the Dolman up until a game against Torquay when a few dozen of their fans were up there. We went and sat in the other end of the Dolman (F block) and that's where we stayed from then on until I started going into the East End with friends. From what I remember we thrashed them that day.

44 minutes ago, RedM said:

We had a couple on loan there didn’t we, Dowling and Lemonheigh-Evans. Wonder how they did, were they stars in a relegated side or didn’t shine?

There is some mention of them in the Loan Watch thread,  M. Dowling started very strongly and they were very happy with him, he then picked up an injury and seemed to lose form after he recovered, he had a talking to from Owers apparently.  Lemmonheigh-Evans has been playing and again has had good reports, scored a good goal in one game too. It's around 7 minutes in here.

https://youtu.be/aqGnRQ3U-Qc

• Admin
4 minutes ago, bris red said:

Wasnt that long ago they were in League one it feels like !

Yeah - can remember the Lita show that was in the fog, that isn't that long ago

They'll be in the league with Hereford next season, both former league sides going in the opposite direction footballing wise

They were relegated same year as the Sags but now close to oblivion as a club. Really sad, really enjoyed watching games down there. Hopefully in conference south (or whatever it is known as now) they will be a big fish and can bounce back. Long hard road back to league football though. 

• Admin
1 hour ago, Taunton_BCFC said:

Great day that was. Was mental as down on the bay pre watch it was sunny 

Remember a pre-season match being just as crazy. A crowd of us got group tickets on an early train out of Weston

We got to the Spoons on the front not long after it opened and bumped into a rather jolly Stephen Mulhern who was doing a summer show down there - this was in the days he was presenting with Holly Willoughby so you can imagine what the conversation was like, after many shots and a fry up he went back to his hotel, during this time more and more City fans were arriving.

Then at one point someone asked a local what time we'd need to book taxis to make the kick off, it was only then we realised the game was well into the second half !

Always a great day out down there

2 hours ago, nickolas said:

Wont ever forget the Leroy Lita hat-trick down there. Well, what ever i managed to see of it through the thick fog that is!:clapping:

"Can you tell us, Can you tell us, Can you tell us when we score" :D :D :D

Wonderful day that was. Still only 14 or 15 years ago.

2 hours ago, sephjnr said:

"Can you tell us, Can you tell us, Can you tell us when we score" :D :D :D

Wonderful day that was. Still only 14 or 15 years ago.

It doesn`t seem like that long somehow. Great memories though. As someone else posted, we ought to get a pre-season game arranged for down there - a good day out for us and raise a few quid for them.

10 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

It doesn`t seem like that long somehow. Great memories though. As someone else posted, we ought to get a pre-season game arranged for down there - a good day out for us and raise a few quid for them.

Sack off Algarve/La Manga and get down Dawlish Warren LJ!

Friendlies to be Torquay, Newton Abbot Spurs and Tiverton Town on the way back up the M5

Heard it here first mind

53 minutes ago, Rossi the Robin said:

My first game at AG v Torquay 1987 FA Cup 

We lost 1-0 and were terrible - still didn’t put me off though

Horrible game. I remember a group of maybe 100 supporters staying behind and shouting for Terry cooper's head. The beginning of the end for the great man.

Archived