IGNORED

When Mark Ashton told us: "we have a very exciting future ahead of us"

Jack Dawe

11 minutes ago, Jack Dawe said:

......back in January, 2017. And, to be fair, true to his word, he wasn't wrong. Last Sept - December was "very exciting." But, er, was that it, Mark? Is that "future" now behind us?

Well, to coin an Ashton phrase, "We're not chasing promotion." No, we're running in the opposite direction.

9 minutes ago, Curr Avon said:

Well, to coin an Ashton phrase, "We're not chasing promotion." No, we're running in the opposite direction.

I'd like to hear from him again soon on what he thinks success and failure looks like for the next 2 years, unless I've missed it. 

Truth is he wouldn’t please anyone. Shouldn’t have said anything about promotion in January no matter how you interpret it. I imagine the club are aiming for promotion in the near future. That could be anywhere from 2-5 years. That in itself will not make everyone happy but it is football and there are no guarantees. We are a medium sized fish that will do the best it can to punch above their weight. We fell short this time. Maybe we wont next time

1 hour ago, JoeAman08 said:

Truth is he wouldn’t please anyone. Shouldn’t have said anything about promotion in January no matter how you interpret it. I imagine the club are aiming for promotion in the near future. That could be anywhere from 2-5 years. That in itself will not make everyone happy but it is football and there are no guarantees. We are a medium sized fish that will do the best it can to punch above their weight. We fell short this time. Maybe we wont next time

Is this a picture of us ? 

IMG_0243.JPG

4 minutes ago, Hello Dave said:

He comes across as a smarmy, untrustworthy, type of wanker! Funny how he wants to do interviews and get his face out there, when we are doing well. But, as soon as we have a few bad results, he goes into hiding!

Er, the quote in the title from MA was from Jan 2017, Dave, when we losing week after week and looking certs for relegation (if you want to quickly "edit" your post there)

13 minutes ago, Hello Dave said:

He comes across as a smarmy, untrustworthy, type of wanker! Funny how he wants to do interviews and get his face out there, when we are doing well. But, as soon as we have a few bad results, he goes into hiding!

To be fair, and this isn't meant as a dig, the same could be said about LJ (and any other manager I guess) - always happy to talk about stuff when winning, but not when losing. Even with the post journalist last week asking about something he didn't like, the question was ignored rather than answered.

Can't remember the last Johnson article I've seen, whereas pre-christmas there was something somewhere, most weeks.

3 hours ago, Jack Dawe said:

......back in January, 2017. And, to be fair, true to his word, he wasn't wrong. Last Sept - December was "very exciting." But, er, was that it, Mark? Is that "future" now behind us?

At least he's stopped banging on about people looking over our fence now. Bloody voyeurs.

2 minutes ago, Taz said:

To be fair, and this isn't meant as a dig, the same could be said about LJ (and any other manager I guess) - always happy to talk about stuff when winning, but not when losing. Even with the post journalist last week asking about something he didn't like, the question was ignored rather than answered.

Can't remember the last Johnson article I've seen, whereas pre-christmas there was something somewhere, most weeks.

But LJ does come out in the press (wether he wants to or not) after every game. MA likes to give himself a pat on the back when things are going well, but doesn't seem to want to know, when it doesn't.

50 minutes ago, Hello Dave said:

Didn't 20pence try to get him on last year when it had gone tits up and couldn't get hold of him? Hes got previous for this...all over the shop circa league cup games, not seen or heard now !

5 hours ago, JoeAman08 said:

When you take the emotion and hysteria out of it that’s a pretty good summary. 

2 hours ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

Note how he didn't say "successful", just "exciting" ;)

And to be fair “exciting” is very subjective, I mean, some people find collecting bus tickets to be “exciting” whereas “successful” is all together much more quantifiable.

Still think some are deliberately misunderstanding the “not chasing promotion” quote, though..

2 hours ago, slartibartfast said:

Didn't 20pence try to get him on last year when it had gone tits up and couldn't get hold of him? Hes got previous for this...all over the shop circa league cup games, not seen or heard now !

He's at Bristol Maternity Hospital awaiting the birth of our 20 goal a season striker............................................................for the 2038/39 campaign.

12 hours ago, BRISTOL86 said:

When you take the emotion and hysteria out of it that’s a pretty good summary. 

I get the reactions though because it is football and emotions often ride high. Championship is also just a strange league. At least half the teams(probably 2/3 if we are being honest) have the same goal. Everyone is aiming for promotion. Very few get to this league with the sole aim of staying in it. 

2 hours ago, JoeAman08 said:

I get the reactions though because it is football and emotions often ride high. Championship is also just a strange league. At least half the teams(probably 2/3 if we are being honest) have the same goal. Everyone is aiming for promotion. Very few get to this league with the sole aim of staying in it. 

Absolutely. By my reckoning there are about 20 teams who genuinely have the ability within their squad for a top six finish. 

On 25/04/2018 at 13:16, JoeAman08 said:

This club will always fall short in this division, simply hasn’t got what it takes from top to bottom!

8 hours ago, KeepUpLino said:

This club will always fall short in this division, simply hasn’t got what it takes from top to bottom!

Possibly but personally I feel like the club is halfway through a rebuild/restructure. So I do think there are more exciting times ahead of us. Do we have the right people to take us further? It is a legitimate question and there is an argument to be had. 

Archived