IGNORED

Wickes/Dreams Site

JasonM88

13 minutes ago, ZiderEyed said:

Hope you like lanky ****s in baggy clothes, and the deafening squeak of size 12 trainers on laminate

Ha ha.  

I love my basketball....the Flyers is a very good night out.  At least the Flyers made the play-offs, with 2 games to spare.

53 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Ha ha.  

I love my basketball....the Flyers is a very good night out.  At least the Flyers made the play-offs, with 2 games to spare.

Never made it to a game but definitely intend to at some point. 

Given the team are pretty successful, is it easy getting tickets?

7 minutes ago, 54-46 said:

Last home game of the regular season on Friday and then POs (2 legged quarter-final).

As long as you book a couple of weeks in advance.  Every game has been a sellout by match day for 18 months.

22 minutes ago, 54-46 said:

Not many chances left this season but will be next season. It's a very small venue so try get a ticket early. If not, send us a message and I'll try help you out if you specifically can only make that particular game. 

9 hours ago, Davefevs said:

9k?

I think so too. Seating capacity is very different to standing, which most people want to do for concerts. Have a few seats for sitting and just clear the floors for dancing, it’s what people want. Have a building that can be used for multiple uses and it will be used most days, which of course generates the all important £££

And I predict it will be up and running in 18 months or less. 

26 minutes ago, myol'man said:

Last time I spoke to one of the staff in Wickes around Christmas time, they said they've been given 2 more years working there.

So, no news here, nothing to see, move along.

The contract they have can be bought out sooner if needed. 

The last update I had was that the hold up was down to the council being arses about various parts of the project and them arguing about that. 

10 hours ago, Tomarse said:

I have a feeling it could be 3 times the capacity mentioned.. 

Not a chance. The London Lions basketball team play at the Copper Box and the size of that place is excessive as hell for what it's used for. Approximately 3k is looking about right and I'd be very surprised if they changed the plan now.

2 minutes ago, Robin TBW said:

Not a chance. The London Lions basketball team play at the Copper Box and the size of that place is excessive as hell for what it's used for. Approximately 3k is looking about right and I'd be very surprised if they changed the plan now.

Not when it will be used for music etc too 

2 minutes ago, Robin TBW said:

But what is capacity measured in, seating or standing? You often see two different figures quoted for venues, up to x amount is mostly standing but seating is much less. People don’t stand at basketball so 3000 seated could be two or three times that if people stood for concerts as I said.

2 minutes ago, AshtonPark said:

Not when it will be used for music etc too 

And 3k is bigger than the o2 Academy in the centre for that. Music events will fall secondary here. The Lansdowns seem pretty committed to providing a basketball venue first over whatever other uses it would be for. The bigger a venue gets the more it costs and 3k is more than enough to cover both without the basketball team looking embarrassing with an excessive volume of empty seats.

1 minute ago, RedM said:

But what is capacity measured in, seating or standing? You often see two different figures quoted for venues, up to x amount is mostly standing but seating is much less. People don’t stand at basketball so 3000 seated could be two or three times that if people stood for concerts as I said.

I'm talking 3k seats is more than enough. Anyone expecting the size of the venue to increase in seating will likely be disappointed.

39 minutes ago, myol'man said:

Last time I spoke to one of the staff in Wickes around Christmas time, they said they've been given 2 more years working there.

I would very much doubt if staff on the shop floor would know this information. They might have been promised another two years working for Wickes ( relocated to a new store or to existing stores) but even that’s unlikely in these times when bigger business’s are closing down almost weekly. 

46 minutes ago, myol'man said:

The staff won’t have a clue, they’ll be the last to know, will probably be told the week before that they no longer have a job

3 minutes ago, Robin TBW said:

I'm talking 3k seats is more than enough. Anyone expecting the size of the venue to increase in seating will likely be disappointed.

I see it as 3000 for sports, basketball. Anymore as you say wouldn’t be needed and you want everyone to have a good view, anymore and it wouldn’t feel intimate enough. 9000/10000 for concert goers, much bigger than anything we have in the city now. The flooring could always be covered and temporary seats put in for other sit down events, lectures, stand up comedy, talks etc.

Multipurpose and multiuse to bring in the £££’s before the official Council Arena has even laid a brick. It’s happening.

• Admin
26 minutes ago, Robin TBW said:

Seats for 3k, standing room for 6k

Same arena

2 hours ago, Dollymarie said:

The contract they have can be bought out sooner if needed. 

The last update I had was that the hold up was down to the council being arses about various parts of the project and them arguing about that. 

Probably debating if the venue will be served by metrobus or Marvin's underground rail network.

• Admin
47 minutes ago, Anglo-Welsh said:

I'd never go to Filton to watch it - too much effort as I'm not a Basketball fan - but if it was right next door to the Gate with a bar etc. could be a nice way to spend a midweek evening.

Ditto - the same reason I won't watch the womens team

Archived