IGNORED

Wembley To Be Sold

Super

2 minutes ago, CotswoldRed said:

Money and sport. Gets on my ****. 

Can’t believe we’ve got to the point that the FA would sell the home and heart of the England national team for almost 100 years so someone can set up an American football team there.

Absolute madness.

One thing about England and Scotland that is quite unique is that we not only have national stadia, but we have one for Football and one for Rugby. If you think of most other nations, particularly in Europe, most play international games and cup finals at Club stadiums. 

Other countries with national stadia such as France will use this stadium for almost all international games and major finals for all sports. However our desire in Britain to retain traditional homes, such as Twickenham and Wembley is clearly not as cost effective. Just look at the FA cup final ticket prices and you'll see how desperate the FA are for cash. 

The Scottish FA are still considering leaving Hampden as the costs are just too high, the same problem there.

What is odd is the two biggest stadia in England are Wembley and Twickenham, and they are not being used week in week out. Compare this to other countries like Spain, Germany and Italy, where the biggest stadia are used every week. This is not the usage that it perhaps needs to be viable.

For that reason, when an offer comes in, then of course the FA will be tempted. If it was under public ownership then we could protect national icons such as Wembley and Twickenham, because the FA and RFU can always be tempted. 

So let me get this straight. The cost of construction was a whopping well over budget £757 million. The majority of that cost is being paid back over about 25 years with about 6 to go. It is my understanding that this is not an interest free loan; the FA are paying back significantly more than the £800 million being offered. There is no built in contingency in this purchase offer for the FA to ever own a national stadium for the nation again; they are quite simply selling English footballs crown jewels for a discount. Short sightedness is the understatement.

This would simply not happen in any other country. It looks like absolute glutony but is in fact pig headedness and total ignorance. Wow.

31 minutes ago, Portland Bill said:

They can give all the money to grass roots football then.......,

Fat chance!

No chance! I bet the greedy bastards at the FA are rubbing there hands together! They will take the money and run and have no problems renting a Premier League ground for England games i reckon :yes:

39 minutes ago, Welcome To The Jungle said:

One thing about England and Scotland that is quite unique is that we not only have national stadia, but we have one for Football and one for Rugby. If you think of most other nations, particularly in Europe, most play international games and cup finals at Club stadiums. 

Other countries with national stadia such as France will use this stadium for almost all international games and major finals for all sports. However our desire in Britain to retain traditional homes, such as Twickenham and Wembley is clearly not as cost effective. Just look at the FA cup final ticket prices and you'll see how desperate the FA are for cash. 

The Scottish FA are still considering leaving Hampden as the costs are just too high, the same problem there.

What is odd is the two biggest stadia in England are Wembley and Twickenham, and they are not being used week in week out. Compare this to other countries like Spain, Germany and Italy, where the biggest stadia are used every week. This is not the usage that it perhaps needs to be viable.

For that reason, when an offer comes in, then of course the FA will be tempted. If it was under public ownership then we could protect national icons such as Wembley and Twickenham, because the FA and RFU can always be tempted. 

This, is absolutely tragic.

I had to read it twice :shocking:

The premier league, the richest league in the world and the FA can't achieve anything off the back of all that money sloshing around. Where's it going? 

2 hours ago, Alessandro said:

Can’t believe we’ve got to the point that the FA would sell the home and heart of the England national team for almost 100 years so someone can set up an American football team there.

Absolute madness.

Foreign business influence and greedy FA yet again destroying the heart and soul of our English game.

Sell it I say. A souless non atmospheric white elephant that is an absolute pain in the ass to get to. England can play around the country as they did before much better atmosphere and easier for the masses to attend. Thefa cup semi finals could also revert back to neutral grounds and stop the continual fleecing of fans

Soul-less shrine to much of what is wrong with modern football. If it means cup semi finals return to neutral venues, and the England team go back on the road, the sale is fine by me. Don't trust the FA to do anything sensible, reasonable, or philanthropic, so the money received is somewhat irrelevant to the general public.

2 hours ago, Portland Bill said:

They can give all the money to grass roots football then.......,

Fat chance!

Listening to a detailed report of this on the radio today, it was said that a sum up to £500m will be given to grass roots football to improve pitches, facilities and coaching up and down the country...not sure if that sum was a one off...!

33 minutes ago, One Team In Keynsham said:

Soul-less shrine to much of what is wrong with modern football. If it means cup semi finals return to neutral venues, and the England team go back on the road, the sale is fine by me. Don't trust the FA to do anything sensible, reasonable, or philanthropic, so the money received is somewhat irrelevant to the general public.

The one positive to come from this disgraceful sale!

2 hours ago, Coxy27 said:

There's no mention that this has been agreed.

It just says an offer has been made essentially.

A lot of conclusion jumping going on.

They are in talks so obviously looking to sale.

3 minutes ago, Super said:

They are in talks so obviously looking to sale.

There's actually a big difference between looking to sell and simply listening to offers made.

I'm not looking sell my house, but if someone came knocking on the door and offered me something I considered to be above it's worth, I would consider it.

I was merely stating that we don't know the finer details and yet it's already a disgrace, the home of football is being sold, nothing will be re-invested, the deal is a loss for the tax payer, etc etc...

Conjecture at this stage.

3 hours ago, Welcome To The Jungle said:

Firstly, nothing can be ‘quite unique’. It is either unique or not, and as both England and Scotland both have national stadiums for football and rugby then it is clearly not unique. 

As for selling to a foreign investor that’s hardly a surprise. A large proportion of London’s real estate is out of English hands, so why should Wembley be any different. Personally, I believe the ‘home’ of English football has been cheapened for years, and especially so since it’s regular use by American wimpball, a sport where a guy wearing Kevlar runs off to the locker room having broken his finger nail. If the Fa can get a good price and use the money for the betterment of football as a whole, rather than chuck it down the throats of premiership clubs, then I’m for it. 

As an aside, Wembley is very red and white. Don’t the Jacksonville Jaguars play in blue?

Archived