IGNORED

1990/1991 season....

BS4 on Tour...

A lot of people have waxed lyrical about the play off final season under GJ (and rightly so, wot a season!) and this season under LJ - they’ve talked about progress and how we haven’t done this well at this level for so long....which is correct. But in 1990/1991 we finished 9th in the second tier under Jimmy Lumsden, we won 20 games and we finished with 67 points...the same total as we currently have right now, although we’ve won less games.

I’ve always felt that 1990/1991 squad and manager didn’t get the respect and recognition they deserved....after Jordan buggered off at the start of the season, Lumsden took over and guided us to 9th place, in the season after we’d got promoted from the third tier after finishing 2nd to the gas....

When we walked the third tier under Cotts we then struggled like hell in the division above......and yes, I get all the arguments about different eras, different times etc etc.....but in 1990 we got promoted to the 2nd tier and then finished 9th in 1991 - so LJ ain’t a messiah, we’ve done just as well before, without relegation fears in between.....

Plus, for that season there were 3 automatic promotion places and the play-offs were 4th to 7th. We were still in with a chance of the play offs on the last day of the season against Watford away. We won 3-2 but still missed out.

Nicky Morgan was immense that season. Great touch, great hold up play, and goals in the box.

At one point in February, after beating Rovers at home 1-0 on the Tuesday (Donowa), we beat Ipswich at home 4-2 on the Saturday (Taylor 2), and the next Tuesday we beat Leicester at home 1-0 (Taylor last minute.). 3 home wins in 8 days, and we were 5th. Fell away though because most of the time we lost away. 

Great season. 

If Joe Jordan had stayed as manager I think we would have finished in the play-offs at least. 

55 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

A lot of people have waxed lyrical about the play off final season under GJ (and rightly so, wot a season!) and this season under LJ - they’ve talked about progress and how we haven’t done this well at this level for so long....which is correct. But in 1990/1991 we finished 9th in the second tier under Jimmy Lumsden, we won 20 games and we finished with 67 points...the same total as we currently have right now, although we’ve won less games.

I’ve always felt that 1990/1991 squad and manager didn’t get the respect and recognition they deserved....after Jordan buggered off at the start of the season, Lumsden took over and guided us to 9th place, in the season after we’d got promoted from the third tier after finishing 2nd to the gas....

When we walked the third tier under Cotts we then struggled like hell in the division above......and yes, I get all the arguments about different eras, different times etc etc.....but in 1990 we got promoted to the 2nd tier and then finished 9th in 1991 - so LJ ain’t a messiah, we’ve done just as well before, without relegation fears in between.....

I also share your enthusiasm for this fantastic season.

I posted elsewhere that the sale of Andy Cole summed this club up and even under Lansdown we are just as pitiful.

Newcastle, struggling at the foot of the second division but believe they are a big club, bring in Keegan then spend big money on Cole, because they believe.

City, flying high out of division 3 and surprising people in Division 2, but we know where we belong and there seems little point in building a team around Cole, better off waiting for a big offer and sell him off. We can slip quietly back to Division 3 and the football league trophy then.

Fond memories of that season and team. There was a real feelgood factor about us.

6 minutes ago, BS2 Red said:

My first ever City game was against Blackburn in 90/91. I think it might have been the opening game of the season - or at least very early on.

4-2 to City and I was hooked for life. :chant6ez:

Tremendous game and a great headed goal by Nicky Morgan after a typical Dave Smith surge down the wing.

1 hour ago, Boston Red said:

Plus, for that season there were 3 automatic promotion places and the play-offs were 4th to 7th. We were still in with a chance of the play offs on the last day of the season against Watford away. We won 3-2 but still missed out.

Nicky Morgan was immense that season. Great touch, great hold up play, and goals in the box.

At one point in February, after beating Rovers at home 1-0 on the Tuesday (Donowa), we beat Ipswich at home 4-2 on the Saturday (Taylor 2), and the next Tuesday we beat Leicester at home 1-0 (Taylor last minute.). 3 home wins in 8 days, and we were 5th. Fell away though because most of the time we lost away. 

Great season. 

If Joe Jordan had stayed as manager I think we would have finished in the play-offs at least. 

Seem to remember the Leicester game half the crowd had buggered off before the goal

Liking the love for Nicky Morgan, one of the most underrated players in my 45 years of supporting the club.

For me twice the player for us Dziekanowski ever was, and he actually played for the team, not for himself.

Also agree that if big Joe had hung around rather than taking the Hearts job (which I think he saw as a steppingstone to the Scotland one) we’d have done even better.

8 hours ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

The difference is that in 1991 you didn’t have an online forum ripping Jimmy Lumsden to shreds for failing to get promotion!  From what I remember, we felt it was a pretty good season.

From what I remember we didn’t have the richest Englishman in football at the helm for previous 15 years and were still dragging ourselves out of the near collapse of the 80s.

Completely different parameters.

10 hours ago, BS2 Red said:

My first ever City game was against Blackburn in 90/91. I think it might have been the opening game of the season - or at least very early on.

That was the first game I was allowed to go to on my own as an 11 year old with my mates. It was the first game of the season, first match I’d ever seen us play in the second tier. Blackburn looked a different class early on and went 2-0 up. Then we actually started playing and deservedly ended up winning 4-2. Great match.

Agree with the OP, that season was amazing. Taylor, Morgan, Dave Smith, Sinclair, think we had Aizelwood and Rob Newman at the back, Shelton in midfield. My memory may be cloudy and I might be mixing up seasons so I’ll have to have a look at a teamsheet from back then but they were all hero’s to me. 

10 hours ago, 054123 said:

I also share your enthusiasm for this fantastic season.

I posted elsewhere that the sale of Andy Cole summed this club up and even under Lansdown we are just as pitiful.

Newcastle, struggling at the foot of the second division but believe they are a big club, bring in Keegan then spend big money on Cole, because they believe.

City, flying high out of division 3 and surprising people in Division 2, but we know where we belong and there seems little point in building a team around Cole, better off waiting for a big offer and sell him off. We can slip quietly back to Division 3 and the football league trophy then.

Andy Cole didn't join us until the following season on loan and then permanently for the 1992=93 season. By then we were a totally different beast and had started to struggle as Lumsden had already been sacked. Cole was brought in by Denis Smith.

There are some similarities between 1990-91 and 2017-18. Warnock getting promotion, he was manager of Notts County who won the Play Offs that year.

22 minutes ago, Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan said:

That was the first game I was allowed to go to on my own as an 11 year old with my mates. It was the first game of the season, first match I’d ever seen us play in the second tier. Blackburn looked a different class early on and went 2-0 up. Then we actually started playing and deservedly ended up winning 4-2. Great match.

Agree with the OP, that season was amazing. Taylor, Morgan, Dave Smith, Sinclair, think we had Aizelwood and Rob Newman at the back, Shelton in midfield. My memory may be cloudy and I might be mixing up seasons so I’ll have to have a look at a teamsheet from back then but they were all hero’s to me. 

Despite going so in early the beginning of the 70s that game remains one of my favourites at AG

Was a hot summers day and the football and the atmosphere were both scintillating

Not sure we went 2 down , IIRC the lead changed hands a couple of times and ironically , as it was 28 years ago,  the most noticeable difference in levels , in comparison to the other first games following our 4 promotions from the third tier (since I’ve been watching ) 

Compared to the standard in promotion season the year before the second tier looked a whole different ball game with a startling increase in pace and class

Louie Donowas debut ? And he was on fire !!

Howard Gayle (Ex Liverpool) on fire for them

Remember leaving AG that afternoon breathless , thrilled with the three points  and with an excited but concerned expectation of what that season may bring

Great Days - and amongst the most exciting in my 40 odd years

This was also my first game as a five-year-old kid :) Not really fair to start with a classic, raising expectations from there on!

10 hours ago, GrahamC said:

Liking the love for Nicky Morgan, one of the most underrated players in my 45 years of supporting the club.

For me twice the player for us Dziekanowski ever was, and he actually played for the team, not for himself.

Also agree that if big Joe had hung around rather than taking the Hearts job (which I think he saw as a steppingstone to the Scotland one) we’d have done even better.

Had one of the best if not the best , touches / first touches of the hundreds of City players I’ve seen Graham

Class Footballer , and a very clever one

Good finisher , great to play off

Only lacked any pace , otherwise would have been a Div One striker

( Taxi driver working out the airport now )

15 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Not sure we went 2 down , IIRC the lead changed hands a couple of times 

You could be right mate. We definitely went behind, possibly twice. 

Edit: just checked (thanks to an old thread on OTIB), you are right, it was 0-1, 1-1, 1-2, 2-2, 3-2, 4-2.

5 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Had one of the best if not the best , touches / first touches of the hundreds of City players I’ve seen Graham

Couldn’t agree more mate.

Superb player and although I saw the top flight years would always be around my best ever XI.

10 hours ago, Offside said:

Fond memories of that season and team. There was a real feelgood factor about us.

Tremendous game and a great headed goal by Nicky Morgan after a typical Dave Smith surge down the wing.

Good memory - beautifully described as can be seen in below video

18 minutes ago, Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan said:

You could be right mate. We definitely went behind, possibly twice. 

Edit: just checked (thanks to an old thread on OTIB), you are right, it was 0-1, 1-1, 1-2, 2-2, 3-2, 4-2.

Went 0-1, 1-1 , 1-2 .  Then we scored 3 in six mins !!!

(Not my great memory ,also  had to check back - see video below (Blackburn game at 6.36)

12 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Couldn’t agree more mate.

Superb player and although I saw the top flight years would always be around my best ever XI.

Watching back just the first few mins of this video shows what a class player / finisher he was (Had forgotten his goals at Twerton , cool as a cucumber !!!)

Dave Smith :clapping::trumpet::worship2:

Awesome

Literally took your breath away and one of my favourite ever City players

also andy may was a very underrated player alongside shelton

Spot on in all respects, and selling Bob Taylor and replacing him with Jacki was madness.

Just now, Spoonbed said:

Would love to see a Shelton in our current side. Still think he’s the best midfielder I’ve seen in my time watching City

As an all round / do all aspects midfielder hard to disagree

And Allegedly past his best by then !!!

Also one of the nicest guys,  if not the nicest,  to ever grace our club

That side would put the frighteners up the Championship of today IMHO

48 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Good memory - beautifully described as can be seen in below video

Went 0-1, 1-1 , 1-2 .  Then we scored 3 in six mins !!!

(Not my great memory ,also  had to check back - see video below (Blackburn game at 6.36)

Watching back just the first few mins of this video shows what a class player / finisher he was (Had forgotten his goals at Twerton , cool as a cucumber !!!)

Dave Smith :clapping::trumpet::worship2:

Awesome

Literally took your breath away and one of my favourite ever City players

The set up of that squad was excellent. You had the trickery or Gavin or Donawa down the right. The pace of Smith down the left plus pace down the right from Junior. Morgan and Teylor were both good in the air despite their height and then we brought in Allison. Going forward we could hit teams any way we liked. In midfield you had Shelton May and Rennie. These were good players

1 hour ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Spot on....I loved watching Nicky Morgan, his close control was absolutely awesome...

Archived