IGNORED

Sunderland sack Coleman

MC RISK77

4 hours ago, Red Right Hand said:

I don`t think he will go to either of the `big two` (in South Wales terms). He`s a hero to the country (or whatever it is) and if he went to either of them he would go from that to being hated by 50% of it overnight.

He’s a Swansea fan though so would probably go there like a shot....in the documentary about him that was on tv recently, his love for the Swans shone through....

1 minute ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

I suppose the ‘shit’ premier league salary might ease the pressures....?!

It`s something we never seem to talk about on here (and may be a good topic for another thread) but how does a manager`s salary compare vis a vis the players he`s managing I wonder? We`re always being told (or guessing ourselves) that such and such a player is on 40k a week or whatever but what does the average manager earn in the championship for instance?

13 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

It`s something we never seem to talk about on here (and may be a good topic for another thread) but how does a manager`s salary compare vis a vis the players he`s managing I wonder? We`re always being told (or guessing ourselves) that such and such a player is on 40k a week or whatever but what does the average manager earn in the championship for instance?

Apparently the average salary for a championship manager is £500k....which is the same as the lowest premier league manager’s salary...Eddie Howe....  https://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/910809/Premier-League-manager-wages-salary-2017-2018-sportgalleries

1 minute ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Apparently the average salary for a championship manager is £500k....which is the same as the lowest premier league manager’s salary...Eddie Howe....  https://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/910809/Premier-League-manager-wages-salary-2017-2018-sportgalleries

So if LJ`s on the average and we have senior players on say 15k a week he`s actually getting around 65% of what they earn - and that`s without all the bonuses etc.

There can`t be many jobs where you earn 2/3 of what your staff do!

2 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

So if LJ`s on the average and we have senior players on say 15k a week he`s actually getting around 65% of what they earn - and that`s without all the bonuses etc.

Quite right, football managers have seemed to earn less than their players forever...yet it’s their job in the balance when things go wrong...you don’t see a player get sacked when a team is struggling!

6 hours ago, Red_Wizard said:

He relied on Bale. Just like all the Portuguese coaches rely on Ronaldo . Look at his club record. Case closed.

Isn't wholly true. 2004, 2006 and 2008 Portugal had pretty good squads.

Ronaldo went off fairly early in final- Portugal also have a bit of a golden generation coming through so may not be quite so Ronaldo reliant.

As for Coleman...

God knows why he took on Sunderland with all their problems, with whom quite a few good or decent managers have failed- would have IMO been better staying with Wales and maybe waiting for a more attractive vacancy.

7 hours ago, havanatopia said:

How is it a strange decision for him to take the job? :-

1. Who knows what settlement was negotiated by Sunderland, on his behalf, leaving the Wales job?

2. Who knows what salary he was offered by Sunderland?

3. Who knows what settlement was offered when they sack him?

All three may have amounted to mouth watering sums that he could not ignore for him or his family and nobody can blame him.

And all of the above must have been significant because he knew he was on a hiding to hell and he also knew his reputation would be somewhat damaged, but not much, if he relegated Sunderland; after all, it was already a sinking ship. Had they stayed up he would have been a hero but his reputation hardly has a scar on it from their relegation.

How anybody can come out and say, words to the effect, 'he was a fool to go there' suggests they knew exactly what his deal was and if not, they are the ones looking a little foolish here I would contend. Let me be clear, I am not saying anyone is foolish merely suggesting they might be if they do not know the facts. So please lets hear them.

I don’t mind Chris Coleman, but I do wonder why he went there....if it wasn’t for the money.

If I'm Sunderland now, I'd try to attract Cotts.

That would be Part One. A three year deal, brief to get back to Championship.

Part 2? Trying anything and everything to get Big Sam back when in the Championship. Give him (within FFP) all he wants and his brief to get Sunderland eventually back to being a respectable Premier League side.

10 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Isn't wholly true. 2004, 2006 and 2008 Portugal had pretty good squads.

Ronaldo went off fairly early in final- Portugal also have a bit of a golden generation coming through so may not be quite so Ronaldo reliant.

As for Coleman...

God knows why he took on Sunderland with all their problems, with whom quite a few good or decent managers have failed- would have IMO been better staying with Wales and maybe waiting for a more attractive vacancy.

In any case, relying on your best player?  What on earth is wrong with that?

15 hours ago, Unan said:

Rumour is it’s a mutual decision and he’s off to Ipswich, Sunderland have been sold so it’s also part of their takeover.

The current Chairman has basically given it away to a consortium who have cleared all the debts, reputedly one of the highest in Europe!! 

That might make them more attractive to an incoming Manager if they can pay off some of their high earning wasters too.

3 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

The current Chairman has basically given it away to a consortium who have cleared all the debts, reputedly one of the highest in Europe!! 

That might make them more attractive to an incoming Manager if they can pay off some of their high earning wasters too.

Short paid the debts off himself surprisingly, their new main man is only worth 8m so must have a lot of backing from others, job for Cotts?

11 hours ago, Red Right Hand said:

Not necessarily true RRH. 

I run / lead / Manage a team of field engineers and my salary is appreciably more than any of them but by the time they get paid their overtime (I don't get paid overtime), weekend call outs and standby, a couple of them are on parity with if not more than me TBH. They work damned hard for it though whereas I sit on my arse most of the time. :)

So, Coleman couldn't cut the mustard when things got too hot. No surprise there then.

Whoever comes in will have a huge playing budget by league 1 standards but at the same time will have to undertake a major rebuild of the squad much in the same way Villa had to over the last two seasons. 

Get it right and Sunderland could very well go up from League 1 and push right back into the Premier.

4 hours ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

In any case, relying on your best player?  What on earth is wrong with that?

Exactly, take advantage of your trump card at every opportunity. 

Coleman did a Monday Night Football which i think you can still view on Youtube, where he admitted that his tactics and formations were built around Bale & Ramsey and any manager would have done the same when you have players of that quality available.

The other side of the coin, is Argentina, who have an embarrassment of riches up front, yet still over rely on Messi. About time some of the others put in some effort for their country.

56 minutes ago, bcfcredandwhite said:

I wonder if Coleman was being given anywhere near as much stick from them for taking them down as LJ is taking from some of our fans for getting to 10th?

The subtle difference is that Coleman took the job before Christmas when they were already in the bottom 3.

At Christmas we were 2nd.

In reality he did not improve their position one bit since he joined.

In our case however we slipped from a very very good situation to 10th.

Archived