IGNORED

I will start this before HT

Alan Dicks

14 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Interested in your opinion James as someone who I think is, like me, still pro-Johnson. 

Are you concerned about our form since January?

Are you concerned about our ability to replace first teamers leaving?

Are you concerned about Johnson’s streaks of form?

Do you think another attainable manager could get more out of our squad?

Even as someone who’s pro Johnson, I must admit my answer to all of those questions is ‘yes’.

1. Absolutely.

2. Do I have any concern? Yes.

Is it as much as most on here? No. I think there is almost an obsession on here when it comes to transfers, we can look at how several of the current team have developed compared to last season- Brownhill, O'Dowda etc and that is a part of signing these players young. There are no guarentees, but lets say for example Pack leaves in the Summer, with no new signings we'd have Brownhill moving central to his favoured position or Walsh/one of the academy stepping up with pre season to bed them in properly.

If Flint goes then we could still have Magnússon, Baker, Vyner, Kelly and Wright as CBs. Of course we'd be a little weaker, but if those players reach the potential they are talked about having then we could potentially be stronger there in 12 months time. (Though both are several years from their peak and would probably take a couple of years to reach Flints level, Flint from 13/14 couldn't lace the boot of this seasons Flint).

3. Yes, and also intrigued about why it happens. Not 100% sure but dont think it happened when he was at Oldham, where IIRC he took a struggling side to a midtable finish.

4. I'm not sure, but doubtful not really sure who is available though, so not a great answer.

I'm not pretending theres nothing to worry about or that everything is great- not by a long shot- but a lot of the people complaining are overstating or exaggerating the bad things while understating the positives from this season and that must be challenged or we get mistruths being spread as fact again.

2 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

1. Absolutely.

2. Do I have any concern? Yes.

Is it as much as most on here? No. I think there is almost an obsession on here when it comes to transfers, we can look at how several of the current team have developed compared to last season- Brownhill, O'Dowda etc and that is a part of signing these players young. There are no guarentees, but lets say for example Pack leaves in the Summer, with no new signings we'd have Brownhill moving central to his favoured position or Walsh/one of the academy stepping up with pre season to bed them in properly.

If Flint goes then we could still have Magnússon, Baker, Vyner, Kelly and Wright as CBs. Of course we'd be a little weaker, but if those players reach the potential they are talked about having then we could potentially be stronger there in 12 months time. (Though both are several years from their peak and would probably take a couple of years to reach Flints level, Flint from 13/14 couldn't lace the boot of this seasons Flint).

3. Yes, and also intrigued about why it happens. Not 100% sure but dont think it happened when he was at Oldham, where IIRC he took a struggling side to a midtable finish.

I'm not pretending theres nothing to worry about or that everything is great- not by a long shot- but a lot of the people complaining are overstating or exaggerating the bad things while understating the positives from this season.

Thanks for the detailed reply, lots I agree with.

If Johnson were to go today for some reason, who would be on your list of replacements? 

1 minute ago, Phileas Fogg said:

If Johnson were to go today for some reasons, who would be on your list of replacements? 

I'll have to get back to you on this.

About to start a double dress rehearsal for a show.

Will post something tonight/tomorrow if I remember.

7 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

If Johnson were to go today for some reason, who would be on your list of replacements? 

Who else in the Johnson family has a FIFA coaching badge?

It's as good a place to start a short list as any.

47 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I like Johnson, I really want him to work out for us and I like, in theory, what we’re trying to do with signing younger players.

Despite that, aside from the form, one thing that concerned me was the ‘players that need love’ comment or whatever it was he said. That didn’t strike me as a winning mentality at all. 

Can you imagine Cristiano Ronaldo or Usain Bolt ‘needing love’ to perform? I’ve tried to be positive and optimistically predicted we’d make the playoffs.. but when he said that I had a suspicion we wouldn’t. Just seems to me totally the wrong mindset to foster in a competitive environment.

I really hope Johnson turns it around.. but even I as one of his bigger fans overall am very worried about his recruitment; especially if Reid/Flint/Pack/Bryan leave this summer. Budget or not, and easy to say in hindsight, but our recruitment was appalling in Jan. 

Big big summer for LJ.

“Worried about his recruitment”? When I criticised the number and poor quality of his signings you came to his defence and described my post as “shocking”. Glad the penny has finally dropped. 

34 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Mick McCarthy, Paul Hurst, Danny Cowley, Brian McDermott.

All have achieved more than LJ in management.

11 minutes ago, Fuber said:

Mick McCarthy, Paul Hurst, Danny Cowley, Brian McDermott.

All have achieved more than LJ in management.

Not totally correct - LJ got Barnsley promoted and won the JPT, according to some on here.

They conveniently forget that whilst those things were happening he was actually HC here.

1 hour ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I like Johnson, I really want him to work out for us and I like, in theory, what we’re trying to do with signing younger players.

Despite that, aside from the form, one thing that concerned me was the ‘players that need love’ comment or whatever it was he said. That didn’t strike me as a winning mentality at all. 

Can you imagine Cristiano Ronaldo or Usain Bolt ‘needing love’ to perform? I’ve tried to be positive and optimistically predicted we’d make the playoffs.. but when he said that I had a suspicion we wouldn’t. Just seems to me totally the wrong mindset to foster in a competitive environment.

I really hope Johnson turns it around.. but even I as one of his bigger fans overall am very worried about his recruitment; especially if Reid/Flint/Pack/Bryan leave this summer. Budget or not, and easy to say in hindsight, but our recruitment was appalling in Jan. 

Big big summer for LJ.

I agree though Ronaldo is known for being sulky if he doesn't get his way or isn't the centre of attention. If not love, he at least needs his ego stroked.

It's fine to indulge a world class player of course but indulging a bunch of average Championship players is another matter.

36 minutes ago, Redland said:

“Worried about his recruitment”? When I criticised the number and poor quality of his signings you came to his defence and described my post as “shocking”. Glad the penny has finally dropped. 

I remember your post being particularly reactionary, badly written and poorly thought out. My opinion on that hasn’t changed.

As I said, regarding recruitment. it’s easy to say this in hindsight.  

1 minute ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I remember your post being particularly reactionary, badly written and poorly thought out. My opinion on that hasn’t changed.

As I said, regarding recruitment. it’s easy to say this in hindsight.  

So what was poorly thought out? The fact that I 

a. Criticised the number of his signings (in excess of 30 - which you refused to believe)

b. Critised the generally poor quality of his signings. 

c. Despite a. above pointed out that our best team was still made up of 6 players from the Cotterill promotion squad. 

All valid points I believe. 

As for hindsight the success or otherwise of signings cannot be determined in advance - only with hindsight. 

2 minutes ago, Redland said:

So what was poorly thought out? The fact that I 

a. Criticised the number of his signings (in excess of 30 - which you refused to believe)

b. Critised the generally poor quality of his signings. 

c. Despite a. above pointed out that our best team was still made up of 6 players from the Cotterill promotion squad. 

All valid points I believe. 

As for hindsight the success or otherwise of signings cannot be determined in advance - only with hindsight. 

To be honest Redland I’ve got no idea what you said and am not inclined to trawl through trawl posts to look.

I just remember it being a bad post which was rightly, at the time, criticised. Sorry about offending you so much that you’ve remembered it to this day.

37 signings , (£31m if you take transfermarkets figures) 

FOUR started today

Our most expensive recruits under Pep Johnson.......

Diedhiou Played today

Tomlin Sold

Baker absent with a wobbly head but not sure he’s highly in favour anyway 

Engvall.  Wining n dining his girlfriend in Sweden

Elliasson - So It’s not true tha he’d gone aro7nd the world backpacking - Felt for the lad trying to make an impression in that shambles but taken off and I wouldn’t bid £300k for him as it stands right now 

Taylor Moore   struggling to impress in L2

Walsh.  Can’t make the match day squad again 

Not great is it ......

11 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

To be honest Redland I’ve got no idea what you said and am not inclined to trawl through trawl posts to look.

I just remember it being a bad post which was rightly, at the time, criticised. Sorry about offending you so much that you’ve remembered it to this day.

Thanks and no problem. 

2 hours ago, JamesBCFC said:

That 'S' in your username isn't needed really is it?

You'd think right, terrific fun.

Criticism of January onwards etc is fine, but when people lie in their claims then I won't leave it unchallenged, even if it does lead to unnecessary abuse like the quote above yours.

Amazingly it's people like Swanker who cry about people not letting them voice their opinions when their criticisms get challenged, before then hurling abuse and telling people to leave the forum when they feel like it. Probably too thick to spot the hypocrisy.

Oh look Toss has started name calling. Why don’t you just bore off you dick. That was a total shambles today. The only time we looked like getting back into the game and Johnson make a substitution and kills our attacking threat dead. 

Dont worry he’s a top manager and we’ll be in Europe soon?

2 hours ago, swanker said:

Get off here you ****. 

2 hours ago, JamesBCFC said:

That 'S' in your username isn't needed really is it?

You'd think right, terrific fun.

Criticism of January onwards etc is fine, but when people lie in their claims then I won't leave it unchallenged, even if it does lead to unnecessary abuse like the quote above yours.

Amazingly it's people like Swanker who cry about people not letting them voice their opinions when their criticisms get challenged, before then hurling abuse and telling people to leave the forum when they feel like it. Probably too thick to spot the hypocrisy.

2 minutes ago, swanker said:

Oh look Toss has started name calling. Why don’t you just bore off you dick. That was a total shambles today. The only time we looked like getting back into the game and Johnson make a substitution and kills our attacking threat dead. 

Dont worry he’s a top manager and we’ll be in Europe soon?

Firstly you started the name calling.

Don't get upset when that comes back at you.

Secondly, I didn't actually name call, I asked about the 'S' in your username, it was all an implication. Equally I said "probably too thick" technically no name calling there, though I was insinuating your lack of intelligence, which you have since proven by trying to take the high horse on something you started- also proving my point about hypocrisy :laugh:.

1 minute ago, JamesBCFC said:

Firstly you started the name calling.

Don't get upset when that comes back at you.

Secondly, I didn't actually name call, I asked about the 'S' in your username, it was all an implication. Equally I said "probably too thick" technically no name calling there, though I was insinuating your lack of intelligence, which you have since proven by trying to take the high horse on something you started- also proving my point about hypocrisy :laugh:.

You make I larf!

1 hour ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Currently on a break between the two acts and a name has come to mind.

I will preface this by saying it would almost certainly be seen as an underwhelming appointment by most on here, and I don't know much about his style of play or if he'd necessarily be happy to work under the 5 pillars.

Paul Cook of Wigan.

He has done a decent job everywhere he's been. Not always tearing up trees, but with the perspective of the club he was managing, a good job.

Worked with tight financial constraints in Ireland and still won silverware, won League 2 with Portsmouth and now League 1 with Wigan.

I think theoretically we'd have a chance of luring him away if we needed a manager.

Not saying he'd be first choice, but I'd need to have a proper look at who is available.

9 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

I will preface this by saying it would almost certainly be seen as an underwhelming appointment by most on here, and I don't know much about his style of play or if he'd necessarily be happy to work under the 5 pillars.

Paul Cook of Wigan.

He has done a decent job everywhere he's been. Not always tearing up trees, but with the perspective of the club he was managing, a good job.

Worked with tight financial constraints in Ireland and still won silverware, won League 2 with Portsmouth and now League 1 with Wigan.

I think theoretically we'd have a chance of luring him away if we needed a manager.

Not saying he'd be first choice, but I'd need to have a proper look at who is available.

You and Lee Johnson have something  comon, you both talk out your arses. 

7 hours ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

37 signings , (£31m if you take transfermarkets figures) 

FOUR started today

Our most expensive recruits under Pep Johnson.......

Diedhiou Played today

Tomlin Sold

Baker absent with a wobbly head but not sure he’s highly in favour anyway 

Engvall.  Wining n dining his girlfriend in Sweden

Elliasson - So It’s not true tha he’d gone aro7nd the world backpacking - Felt for the lad trying to make an impression in that shambles but taken off and I wouldn’t bid £300k for him as it stands right now 

Taylor Moore   struggling to impress in L2

Walsh.  Can’t make the match day squad again 

Not great is it ......

To me, 37 signings? Too many, understand the philosophy to a point, but too much churn- I remember being strongly concerned in March last year about the number of ins and outs under him- 37 is ridiculous in all honesty.

Expensive recruits?

• Diedhiou- Has had a reasonable season IMO. Not bad, but his impact as a first choice starter on the shape, our pressing game? Concerns me.
  • Tomlin- Good for a time, got shit and bad off the pitch- justifiably sold.
  • Baker- Started off well, like first choice alongside Flint- seems to have regressed, and had an increasing number of injuries. Concerning. Down to LJ, could it be (I know nothing more than any typical fan, so it's pure guesswork), his mental state- just the injuries? Maybe a relaxing pre-season would improve him again- I hope!
  • Engvall- Hasn't worked out, to say the least- but no fair crack either thusfar. Find it hard to believe he's worse than Diony or what we've seen of him, does he not fit our style, homesick- or really as bad as we all fear?
  • Eliasson- Wasn't great today but he's hardly had a fair chance has he which doesn't help either?
  • Taylor Moore- Work in progress, time will tell- also lower League England is vastly different to the type of football as a centre back at Lens which he would have been brought up in. Lens has a particularly good academy system, will he push on? There has got to be ability there, don't become England Under 19 captain without it, or indeed do well in a highly rated academy such as what Lens has/had without something.
  • Walsh- Don't see why he can't be a useful midfield option next year, centrally or even as an attacking mid behind the striker (by which I mean Reid if we somehow keep him). It's his natural position and definitely in a midfield 3, there'd be something there I feel, something to build on or work with.

37 signings though in what a bit over 2 years, when seeing the number down like that- well that's nuts. Don't see how proper cohesion, growth as a team, a squad can happen in those scenarios in most instances.

I still can’t puy my finger on the problem . One game we play like a top championship side then the next we looking  like relegation certainties. Players need to take a good look at themselves . Overall LJ takes the blame and it will be him who gets the boot .  You get what you pay for . A shame the club is still losing money 

16 hours ago, JamesBCFC said:

Paul Cook of Wigan.

Interesting suggestion.

If LJ were to go right now, I imagine our replacement would be in a similar mould. Someone like Paul Tisdale perhaps, wouldn’t be my choice necessarily but someone I think would be on our list.

I would be quite interested to see what Tisdale could do with a good budget and better players, I think he’s a good manager and would be exactly the sort of personality the board like.

3 hours ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I would be quite interested to see what Tisdale could do with a good budget and better players, I think he’s a good manager and would be exactly the sort of personality the board like.

Interesting idea, him and the Cowley's both done well over a period of time. Big jump for either , I'd like to see them at an in-between club before jumping into the Championship .They have had success and although the Cowley's (I think) have just signed a new contract, I'd love to see what they could do at a bigger club.,

Archived