IGNORED

Does anybody work in sales

Mrdc

3 hours ago, RedDave said:

I work in sales and happy to help. 20 years in sales now and target been wide ranging in styles from individual to my current set up which is whole sales team have one target so teamwork required

My company set our April targets at the start of April and as a team we absolutely smashed them and as a result we were all due to have bumper commission at the end of the month.

On 3rd May we were all told that some serious mistakes were made in the targets and in fact they should have been much higher.  Therefore bonuses have taken a huge downward knock. For example my bonus has gone from £1,200 to £300.

As team we are all gutted and all our motivation has just been zapped 

6 hours ago, boatman said:

My company set our April targets at the start of April and as a team we absolutely smashed them and as a result we were all due to have bumper commission at the end of the month.

On 3rd May we were all told that some serious mistakes were made in the targets and in fact they should have been much higher.  Therefore bonuses have taken a huge downward knock. For example my bonus has gone from £1,200 to £300.

What was the target and what are they saying it should have been? Big difference? What is a typical target for a month?

On 11/05/2018 at 05:59, RedDave said:

What was the target and what are they saying it should have been? Big difference? What is a typical target for a month?

My monthly targets are set in Jan for the year, it’s checked, double checked, triple checked and then sent to finance for more checking before they are released.

everything is very transparent, we get an email each morning showing us all the target info and at what % to target we are for the month, it also shows in ££ what we still need to do daily to achieve our target.

I don’t know who you work for but based on my company’s way of doing things I find it hard to believe that nobody who set the targets realised there was an issue until after the month had finished unless sales are not tracked??

Based on this I think my company would have swallowed the pill and taken the hit and paid out as you need a motivated sales team.

40 minutes ago, Rob k said:

My monthly targets are set in Jan for the year, it’s checked, double checked, triple checked and then sent to finance for more checking before they are released.

everything is very transparent, we get an email each morning showing us all the target info and at what % to target we are for the month, it also shows in ££ what we still need to do daily to achieve our target.

I don’t know who you work for but based on my company’s way of doing things I find it hard to believe that nobody who set the targets realised there was an issue until after the month had finished unless sales are not tracked??

Based on this I think my company would have swallowed the pill and taken the hit and paid out as you need a motivated sales team.

That is why I asked him those questions.  If it is a clear and obvious error then they would be in their rights to not pay it. However if they moved it only a little and he then missed it then that would be a joke. 

My employers made a clear and obvious error with someone once but still agreed to pay half which to me seemed very fair. 

I do agree with you that these things should be triple checked and mistakes like that should not happen.

On 11/05/2018 at 05:59, RedDave said:

We have individual targets and then team targets.

Our original team target was £180,000 and infect it should have been about £230,000 and our individual targets were £42,0000 and are now £48,0000.

On 10/05/2018 at 23:37, boatman said:

In my experience, sales is all about motivation i.e. money motivates your workforce to sell harder, which in turn makes the company more money. Once the staff motivation is lost, it's all over. You HAVE to keep your sales force happy, or the whole ship stops sailing.

18 hours ago, boatman said:

Our original team target was £180,000 and infect it should have been about £230,000 and our individual targets were £42,0000 and are now £48,0000.

Were these numbers given to you and your colleagues in writing along with what you could expect to earn should you achieve them?

Do you all have a Compensation Plan or similar that details the rules on commission?

On 15/05/2018 at 23:05, boatman said:

What did you hit that month?

• Admin

I worked in sales for a while, I wasn’t really cut out for it, as soon as I made enough that week to pay the bills and some beer tokens I didn’t work any more - I’d go fishing and it encompassed the 89/90 season, so I went to every game home and away.

At the weekly meetings where the targets and salesman league table was put up, I think I was only not bottom of the table once.  I just couldn’t get how excited my colleagues would get about signing new and repeat business and would work all hours.

I don’t think the company was too upset when I handed in my notice and went back to Engineering.

Archived