IGNORED

City players that have gone on to play for England

Jcolebristol

41 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

This could be a very short thread .

If , however , you include other international teams then we don't do too badly considering our lowly position in the great scheme of things . 

Pretty much this.

We've had very little England representation over the years, but from far and wide in my lifetime we've had a few Australians (Wright, Agostino & Wilkshire, Carle), the Caribbean (Goodridge, Goater, Marvin Elliot for Jamaica), even Akinbiyi had one cap for Nigeria and Uncle Albert for Ghana.

Moving into Europe - the season of 98/99 we had Super Ivan for Moldova & Vilmos Sebok for Hungary along with Soren Anderson for Denmark - i am certain Bo Anderson played a few games for Denmark but that may have just been because he did so on my old computer game so may have conflicted that with reality.

Let's not forget, we had a goalkeeper who we had on loan who never played a game for us that has played in the the Semi Final of the Euro's ...... go on, you know who it is.

edit - there are more of course, but these sprung to mind straight away. Also got Jim Brennan for Canada, Tommy Doc for Northern Ireland, Rob Edwards for Wales. Plenty to choose from.

52 minutes ago, The Batman said:

Pretty much this.

We've had very little England representation over the years, but from far and wide in my lifetime we've had a few Australians (Wright, Agostino & Wilkshire, Carle), the Caribbean (Goodridge, Goater, Marvin Elliot for Jamaica), even Akinbiyi had one cap for Nigeria and Uncle Albert for Ghana.

Moving into Europe - the season of 98/99 we had Super Ivan for Moldova & Vilmos Sebok for Hungary along with Soren Anderson for Denmark - i am certain Bo Anderson played a few games for Denmark but that may have just been because he did so on my old computer game so may have conflicted that with reality.

Let's not forget, we had a goalkeeper who we had on loan who never played a game for us that has played in the the Semi Final of the Euro's ...... go on, you know who it is.

edit - there are more of course, but these sprung to mind straight away. Also got Jim Brennan for Canada, Tommy Doc for Northern Ireland, Rob Edwards for Wales. Plenty to choose from.

Ah yes, 1998-99 (my first season)...

Lorenzo Pinamonte never did make the cut for Italy... :laughcont:

...remember his only goal though!

1 hour ago, Jcolebristol said:

Just chatting about the England squad.

Out of interest, who would’ve been the last couple of players to play for Bristol City and go on to make a cup squad?

I know Tammy made a friendly & Rose played for us, but I was trying to think of players we owned.

Don't know if it's what your looking for but David James played for England once I believe whilst at city- definitely played in the world cup before joining us.

10 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Ah yes, 1998-99 (my first season)...

Lorenzo Pinamonte never did make the cut for Italy... :laughcont:

...remember his only goal though!

Yep. Last game of the season vs Norwich. 

Glad your first season didn't put you off for life considering how bad we were for most of it. 

2 hours ago, richwwtk said:

We have never had a player in an England World Cup squad, and not had a Full England International of any description since John Atyeo to the best of my knowledge.

You're right Rich. John Atyeo scored the goal that took England to the 1958 World Cup in Sweden but didn't make the squad for the finals.

England's final qualifier was away .v. Eire. If they lost they wouldn't get to Sweden and after 89 minutes they were losing 1-0. In the 90th minute Tom Finney dribbled the length of the pitch and crossed to Big John whose bullet header burst the net and silenced 50,000 Dubliners at a stroke (you can find the radio commentary online). Atyeo had saved England's bacon.

By way of thanks, he was never selected for England again.

At the 58 World Cup a young Bobby Robson was picked to wear our man's No.8 shirt instead.

One for the stattos: In the England .v. Eire qualifiers in 1957 both teams selected a Bristol City player in attack (Atyeo's strike partner at Ashton Gate, Dermot Curtis, was Eire's no.9 in both games).

Have there been any other international matches in which 2 City players opposed each other?        

12 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

You're right Rich. John Atyeo scored the goal that took England to the 1958 World Cup in Sweden but didn't make the squad for the finals.

England's final qualifier was away .v. Eire. If they lost they wouldn't get to Sweden and after 89 minutes they were losing 1-0. In the 90th minute Tom Finney dribbled the length of the pitch and crossed to Big John whose bullet header burst the net and silenced 50,000 Dubliners at a stroke (you can find the radio commentary online). Atyeo had saved England's bacon.

At the 58 World Cup a young Bobby Robson was picked to wear our man's No.8 shirt instead.

One for the stattos: In the England .v. Eire qualifiers in 1957 both teams selected a Bristol City player in attack (Atyeo's strike partner at Ashton Gate, Dermot Curtis, was Eire's no.9 in both games).

Have there been any other international matches in which 2 City players opposed each other?        

Didn't Iceland (Mags) play against Australia (Wright) in a friendly? 

May have totally imagined this though...

10 minutes ago, Septic Peg said:

Didn't Iceland (Mags) play against Australia (Wright) in a friendly? 

May have totally imagined this though...

I've just looked through Australia's results from the last few years, they have not played Iceland that I could see.

They have played a few European teams though, but not Iceland. But please feel free for someone to check that.

3 hours ago, The Batman said:

Wayne Hennessey?

3 hours ago, The Batman said:

Yep. Last game of the season vs Norwich. 

Glad your first season didn't put you off for life considering how bad we were for most of it. 

Was young...when you get a side you stick with it IMO.

I dare say there were those who started with City in 1982 who stuck with us.

5 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Was young...when you get a side you stick with it IMO.

I dare say there were those who started with City in 1982 who stuck with us.

That is very true.

I was born in the mid 80's so i missed the 1982 situation. But the family* stuck by them.

* disclaimer, most of the family support the Rovers, my Grandad used to take me to both City and Rovers then made me choose one. I chose City to annoy my Uncle and cousins, glad i did (Rovers were better than us at the time as well)

2 hours ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

In 2005 I was at England v Northern Ireland when Tommy Doherty played for NI (England won 4-0 at Old Trafford), and at Cardiff later in the year when England won 1-0 against Wales (who had Dave Partridge playing in defence), and I wondered if Doherty and Partridge had faced each other in either of the two NI v Wales games in the same qualifying group - but alas, they didn’t. Will continue thinking...

2 minutes ago, North London Red said:

In 2005 I was at England v Northern Ireland when Tommy Doherty played for NI (England won 4-0 at Old Trafford), and at Cardiff later in the year when England won 1-0 against Wales (who had Dave Partridge playing in defence), and I wondered if Doherty and Partridge had faced each other in either of the two NI v Wales games in the same qualifying group - but alas, they didn’t. Will continue thinking...

Bloody good try that. Respect!

8th May 1957

England v Republic of Ireland

John Atyeo played Centre Forward for England

Dermot Curtis played Centre Forward for Ireland

Both Bristol City players at the time, both of them scored.

England won 5-1

EDIT - spent ages looking for this, then saw that Merrick's Marvels had already mentioned it! oops

2 hours ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

Ireland v Iceland, March 2017 with Hörður scoring the winner against COD's Ireland (though COD wasn't on the pitch when Mags scored).

https://www.fai.ie/ireland/match/19/2017/999943195

Archived