IGNORED

Andres Iniesta to Man City? (Merged)

Lanterne Rouge

10 hours ago, grifty said:

Here's one for the 'oldies' but where do players like Iniesta rank among 60s, 70s, 80s legends of the game in terms of ability?

I'm too young to have watched players like Beckenbauer, Charlton, Di Stefano, etc so is Iniesta better than them, the same or not as good, but just the best of the bunch thats about now?

As @Downend City said, different era but I believe he is better than more `recent` stars like Hagi, Ronaldinho, Neeskens, Rumenigge or Ballack. I`d even say he is as good as my personal hero, Pavel Nedved.

10 hours ago, grifty said:

Here's one for the 'oldies' but where do players like Iniesta rank among 60s, 70s, 80s legends of the game in terms of ability?

I'm too young to have watched players like Beckenbauer, Charlton, Di Stefano, etc so is Iniesta better than them, the same or not as good, but just the best of the bunch thats about now?

Cant answer that question. You can only be the best in your day. Tactics, technology, fitness levels. expectations, preparation, diet etc are all vastly different than they were in the day of Beckenbauer, Charlton, Netzer, Cruyff etc. The game has simply changed so much, it's almost unrecognisable from the  50's, 60's and 70's. 

42 minutes ago, Sweeneys Penalties said:

Cant answer that question. You can only be the best in your day. Tactics, technology, fitness levels. expectations, preparation, diet etc are all vastly different than they were in the day of Beckenbauer, Charlton, Netzer, Cruyff etc. The game has simply changed so much, it's almost unrecognisable from the  50's, 60's and 70's. 

Quite right SP. Similar to other sports.

Rod Laver was a tennis great at the start of the open era, but he, and other great players of his era  would be pulverised by the power of today's 6' 6" players with carbon fibre rackets. Likewise in golf great players like Sam Snead, Ben Hogan and the like would br nowhere in today's game against players with all the technological developments with clubs and the ball. 

Having said all of that it's good fun to speculate!

1 minute ago, downendcity said:

Quite right SP. Similar to other sports.

Rod Laver was a tennis great at the start of the open era, but he, and other great players of his era  would be pulverised by the power of today's 6' 6" players with carbon fibre rackets. Likewise in golf great players like Sam Snead, Ben Hogan and the like would br nowhere in today's game against players with all the technological developments with clubs and the ball. 

Having said all of that it's good fun to speculate!

well yes. I have often thought though about the future of Athletics... you cant keep busting World Records. At some point, someone will run 100m (for example) in a time which cant possibly be beaten. You cant run it in 0.00 seconds. 

4 minutes ago, Sweeneys Penalties said:

well yes. I have often thought though about the future of Athletics... you cant keep busting World Records. At some point, someone will run 100m (for example) in a time which cant possibly be beaten. You cant run it in 0.00 seconds. 

..... unless you are a Time Lord.

Archived