IGNORED

England's Greatest XI

Super

44 minutes ago, MC RISK77 said:

Wedlock? Interested to know why you think this mate

As I said in a later contribution, going from reports of the time, plus first hand accounts from people who saw him play week in week out for City in top flight and in cup final, and whom I knew as a child and who shared their views and opinions on Billy with me.

As I say football fans should take a greater interest in the history of the game and especially in their own team.  You wouldn't even ask this question about WG Grace, who incidentally my grandfather saw play, and who was my other grandfather's GP in Downend.

25 minutes ago, Ivorguy said:

As I said in a later contribution, going from reports of the time, plus first hand accounts from people who saw him play week in week out for City in top flight and in cup final, and whom I knew as a child and who shared their views and opinions on Billy with me.

As I say football fans should take a greater interest in the history of the game and especially in their own team.  You wouldn't even ask this question about WG Grace, who incidentally my grandfather saw play, and who was my other grandfather's GP in Downend.

That’s a bit unfair as I have a very good appreciation of city history and the players that have graced this club and through England who have represented city and England and despite 26 caps I think I was just asking why you think wedlock deserves a place in central midfield ahead of the likes of charlton, robson, Gascogne, gerrard.

habing been brought up in downend In overndale Road I also know of the importance of wg grave and go and watch when I can

didmt see your later contribution so apologies

7 hours ago, downendcity said:

Many think the 1970 team was better.

4 hours ago, BigTone said:

Did they win it ?

1 hour ago, OddBallJim said:

As long as Banks is in goal we have a chance.

Had Banks been in goal for the 1/4 final v Germany there is a very good chance we would have won in 1970.

His inconvenient illness prior to the game meant Bonetti had to play and he  had a shocker and from 2-0 up he singlehandedly let them back into the game.

5 hours ago, cider-manc said:

Not going to argue with that.

But much is made of the natural ability of players post 74... But none of them could even do a cruyff turn! Even i can do a cruyff turn!*

As i say... just playing devils advocate. :)

*sort of.

tried it five hours ago against a 5 year old still in A&E

1 hour ago, downendcity said:

Had Banks been in goal for the 1/4 final v Germany there is a very good chance we would have won in 1970.

His inconvenient illness prior to the game meant Bonetti had to play and he  had a shocker and from 2-0 up he singlehandedly let them back into the game.

Whenever I watch clips of that game the one thing that stands out is how small Bonetti looks in the frame of the goal.  Banks was imposing.

No wonder he never saved anything with table tennis bats stuck on his gloves.  I had of these and the wet weather ones.

B425A76A-B5E0-4051-8322-6DC22377DCFC.jpeg

2 hours ago, downendcity said:

....Bonetti had to play and he  had a shocker and from 2-0 up he singlehandedly let them back into the game.

Very harsh.....there were ten other players trying to stop the Germans.....the mistake was taking Bobby Charlton off, that gave Beckenbauer the freedom to roam forward and cause carnage.....it certainly wasn’t just down to our ‘keeper....Jurgen Grabowski came on, re-energised the Germans and ran the bollocks off Terry Cooper, and Alan Mullery made a big error to give the Germans a goal...but everyone seems to blame Bonetti....just our culture I suppose....must find a scapegoat.....

6 hours ago, cidered abroad said:

Yes, without a shadow of doubt. I assume you mean Big John Atyeo but could I add Big John Charles of Leeds, Juventus and Wales who was even more awesome than our's.

6 hours ago, ZiderEyed said:

Blasphemy!

Well, John Charles scored over 100 goals in 150 games for Juventus....nearly 160 goals for Leeds in under 300 games and even in his latter years he notched 80 goals in 170-odd games for Hereford...and he scored 15 goals in under 40 games for Wales....he was some player...

1 hour ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Very harsh.....there were ten other players trying to stop the Germans.....the mistake was taking Bobby Charlton off, that gave Beckenbauer the freedom to roam forward and cause carnage.....it certainly wasn’t just down to our ‘keeper....Jurgen Grabowski came on, re-energised the Germans and ran the bollocks off Terry Cooper, and Alan Mullery made a big error to give the Germans a goal...but everyone seems to blame Bonetti....just our culture I suppose....must find a scapegoat.....

I was probably being a bit simplistic and you are right about Bobby Charlton's substitution affecting the game. Having said that Bonetti let a soft goal in and then (as I remember) got himself in no mans land for Seeler's header. Doubt that Banks would have made those mistakes.

7 hours ago, downendcity said:

I was probably being a bit simplistic and you are right about Bobby Charlton's substitution affecting the game. Having said that Bonetti let a soft goal in and then (as I remember) got himself in no mans land for Seeler's header. Doubt that Banks would have made those mistakes.

Fair points there mate.....

18 minutes ago, Abraham Romanovich said:

David Beckham a poor man's Glenn Hoddle.

Hoddle in his pomp was a supreme talent and for some unknown reason was criminally underused by England.

Alan Brazil often says that Bobby Robson stopped playing him because he couldn’t do the work off the ball and the way the game was changing he needed him to do that.

32 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Alan Brazil often says that Bobby Robson stopped playing him because he couldn’t do the work off the ball and the way the game was changing he needed him to do 

Yet when he was forced to play him with Peter Reid in 1986, the team suddenly started playing.. Wilkins suspended and Robson injured thankfully. 

15 hours ago, Ivorguy said:

They must have really talked him up seeing you got him playing out of position and ahead of some midfield greats 

Archived