IGNORED

Brian Moore , Beards & Pitch Invasions - The Big Match

BobBobSuperBob

13 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

`If you don`t eat your sprouts you`ll get sarcoptic mange mites and don`t come running to me when you do`

Reminds me of the time my son was  acrobatically climbing a tree .

I shouted  to him to be careful and not to come running to me if he fell  and broke his legs .

35 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Used to love 

Sunday Lunch  :clapping:

Washing Up :disapointed2se:

Big Match :clapping:

World At War :yes:

You used to love washing up! You’ve gone down in my estimation

54 minutes ago, Lord Northski said:

This is a bit random but, anyone else remember that The Big Match used to follow a farming program on Sunday and there always this weird advert for Ivomec just before the show. From memory Ivomec would kill Ringworm, Sarcoptic Mangemites and some others nasties. 

And then we would watch the Big Match and see the nasties, Tommy Smith, Chopper Harris, Norman Hunter etc biting back. Equilibrium restored to the world.

6 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

You used to love washing up! You’ve gone down in my estimation

Washing up, what is it with dishwashers ?

People wash their dishes before loading them into the machine !

They then put in the washing product and programme the thing .

During this  time, I've whipped me marigolds out , swished the pots in some mild green , wiped up and put everything away . 

When City were at home on HTV then we would only get a few highlights from the Big Match for that week as we then had Roger Malone doing the biz with a local based programme. I often wondered if on The Big Match in London the City match was then shown as one of the short highlights matches that made up the rest of the show. These rebroadcast episodes should answer whether that did ever happen as we would see what the London Weekend TV viewers seen that particular Sunday, not what we seen in HTV land.

2 hours ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

I know it will have little if any interest save all except a largish 50 ish plus contingent but BT Sport if you have it re run  (Mornings) episodes of the old (till 11am)

‘The Big Match’ 

Personally preferred The Big Match to Match Of Day as I liked Moore , the regional commentators Hugh Johns , Gerald Sinstadt etc , and the fact it was the only chance to see anything else than First Div Football

This mornings highlights have been a Derek Hales hat trick for Charlton , Grey haired Alan Woodward for Sheffield United and a Div Four encounter between Bury and Brighton where at each Bury goal there is a large pitch invasion by dozens of boys aged 6-14 !!!!!!! :laughcont:

Fantastic watch with a morning coffee for anyone who remembers those days

:ill:

BT sport 1

(Sky 413)

I agree they had lower division fare on The Big Match, but they also did on Match of the Day indeed both companies had to show a certain amount of football from each division, including the 4th, as part of their TV agreement. City were on MotD several times before promotion to the top flight in 1976 and after relegation in 1980. Games against York City, Blackpool, Southampton and Notts County (after relegation not the last game of 75-76 that was on HTV) spring to mind. Also Rovers two games v Spurs in Div 2 in 1977-78 were both on MotD. 

2 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Derek Hales interview....those answers :whistle:

Hales was certainly a “character” , he famously hated his long time strike partner Mickey Flanagan, was notoriously difficult to get on with and was someone who basically never ran around at all but who scored hundreds of goals.

Basically a much dirtier version of Brett Pitman...

2 hours ago, Red Right Hand said:

Just looked it up and the company`s still going - they do have stuff to treat some very unpleasant sounding things though!

Sarcoptic sags?

1 hour ago, GrahamC said:

Hales was certainly a “character” , he famously hated his long time strike partner Mickey Flanagan, was notoriously difficult to get on with and was someone who basically never ran around at all but who scored hundreds of goals.

Basically a much dirtier version of Brett Pitman...

Didn't they have a punch up on the pitch?

27 minutes ago, Abraham Romanovich said:

The Big Match use to be about the only ray of sunshine on a Sunday ,it certainly was a day of rest,absolutely nothing happened.

Everywhere was shut  and about the only excitement in our house were visiting relatives or Bonanza.

Couldn't wait for Monday

There was always Wurzel Gommage , Black Beauty , The Railway Children or something of that ilk to look forward to at teatime .

Then Dad's Army just before bedtime. 

:yes:

' who do you think you are kidding Mr Hitler ... '

2 hours ago, Lord Northski said:

This is a bit random but, anyone else remember that The Big Match used to follow a farming program on Sunday and there always this weird advert for Ivomec just before the show. From memory Ivomec would kill Ringworm, Sarcoptic Mangemites and some others nasties. 

Thanks Lord N for mentioning Sarcoptic Mangemites. Earlier this week, a friend was telling me about his dad's small holding. I asked if he had killed any Sarcoptic Mangemites. I subsequently had to explain about an advert on HTV and also

23 minutes ago, Juan Kerr said:

Sarcoptic sags?

Both got sent off iirc. It was a Friday night game but somehow a Big Match camera was able to film it.

Although a well known Gillingham fan Brian Moore also obviously had a soft spot for Leyton Orient (or just Orient as they were known temporarily at the time) and QPR.

Orient were shown regularly, particularly the season where they were almost made the top league.

Also QPR in the Francis, Givens, Thomas, Bowles, Parkes, Venables, Mancini era, were always on, and not surprisingly - they were a great team to watch.

Mancini is the Orient/QPR link whose cheerful after match interviews probably led to a spot on the Big Match, but the Orient Chairman of the time (a tall bloke with swept back dark hair and huge black rimmed glasses) was also prominent in interviews iirc., and became a well known face.

I remember following City to Brisbane Road a few times around then - the floodlight failure (and unfortunately, the restart) stands out but also an afternoon game when I was making my way along a wall between the standing enclosure and the seats above to get to the other side of the tunnel when the bespectacled Orient chairman himself ran down from the director's box to tell me off.

I wouldn't say I was exactly star struck, but I got down anyway!

4 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Although a well known Gillingham fan Brian Moore also obviously had a soft spot for Leyton Orient (or just Orient as they were known temporarily at the time) and QPR.

Orient were shown regularly, particularly the season where they were almost made the top league.

Also QPR in the Francis, Givens, Thomas, Bowles, Parkes, Venables, Mancini era, were always on, and not surprisingly - they were a great team to watch.

Mancini is the Orient/QPR link whose cheerful after match interviews probably led to a spot on the Big Match, but the Orient Chairman of the time (a tall bloke with swept back dark hair and huge black rimmed glasses) was also prominent in interviews iirc., and became a well known face.

I remember following City to Brisbane Road a few times around then - the floodlight failure (and unfortunately, the restart) stands out but also an afternoon game when I was making my way along a wall between the standing enclosure and the seats above to get to the other side of the tunnel when the bespectacled Orient chairman himself ran down from the director's box to tell me off.

Masson & Leach were decent players in that QPR team, didn’t they miss out on being champions on the last game of the season? Always loved watching Dave Thomas, a fantastic winger who went to Everton, can’t remember him ever being capped for England 

6 minutes ago, harrys said:

Masson & Leach were decent players in that QPR team, didn’t they miss out on being champions on the last game of the season? Always loved watching Dave Thomas, a fantastic winger who went to Everton, can’t remember him ever being capped for England 

Got half a dozen caps or so 

Would have been hot propert in today’s game

2 minutes ago, harrys said:

He was, Don Revie's first game, WC qualifier, against Czechoslovakia in 1974 iirc. correctly.

Came on as the sub. and changed the game in the last half hour, from a boring 0-0 to a 3-0 win.

I know that because it's the only England game I've ever been to, and I even spoke to Thomas outside Wembley afterwards.

18 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

He was, Don Revie's first game, WC qualifier, against Czechoslovakia in 1974 iirc. correctly.

Came on as the sub. and changed the game in the last half hour, from a boring 0-0 to a 3-0 win.

I know that because it's the only England game I've ever been to, and I even spoke to Thomas outside Wembley afterwards.

Dave Clement, a fullback, was another decent player in that QPR team

2 hours ago, Juan Kerr said:

Yep.

Flanagan didn’t pass when Hales was in a better position to score so he lamped him one and it all kicked off, pretty sure they were both sent off (rare in those days).

11 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Yep.

Flanagan didn’t pass when Hales was in a better position to score so he lamped him one and it all kicked off, pretty sure they were both sent off (rare in those days).

The story is that the source of the feud was Derek "Killer" Hales's testicles (or, to be more precise, testicle). On January 9, 1979, in an FA Cup tie at The Valley against Maidstone, Hales failed to pass to Flanagan and his curly-haired strike partner is said to have called him a 'one-bollocked bastard'. Hales was very sensitive in the groin area and a fight broke out. The pair were sent off.

1 hour ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

It's funny that you should mention QPR because I was going to say that in my memory of the Big Match we always seemed to be playing them ! 

Spooky .

21 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

The story is that the source of the feud was Derek "Killer" Hales's testicles (or, to be more precise, testicle). On January 9, 1979, in an FA Cup tie at The Valley against Maidstone, Hales failed to pass to Flanagan and his curly-haired strike partner is said to have called him a 'one-bollocked bastard'. Hales was very sensitive in the groin area and a fight broke out. The pair were sent off.

If the pair were sent off he was left with none at all .

:blink:

Funny to see mention of the sarcoptic mange mites ads. As soon as the Big Match finished every Sunday afternoon I would would go out in the street with a ball, several other mates would emerge from their houses and we'd all re-enact the goals and incidents from the games we had just watched, everyone pretending to be Kevin Keegan, Charlie George, Stuart Pearson or whichever player was in favour that week.

A few years later though, once we reached our mid teens, everything changed. We'd got a garage band together by the name of...The Sarcoptic Mange Mites. True story!

From playing football on a Sunday afternoon to playing stupidly loud and unlistenable punk rock seemed like a reasonable transition at the time. We had at least stayed true to our roots with our little tribute to the Farming Diary/Big Match commercials of our childhood.

Archived