IGNORED

Bristol City Top flight side

Red Army 75

40 minutes ago, Limey said:

Does anyone remember the flying Dutchmen we signed and scored in his debut within 10 seconds of kick off. He received the ball from the kick off ran down the wing and put it in the net from the side... unbelievable start.my most memorable goal ever.

Don't remember him doing much after that..:laugh:

scored from a very acute angle v Birmingham within 5 mins of kick off......had a great view from crackers corner next to grandstand

7 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Geert Meijer 

He was alright to be fair, better than Peerti Jantunen, he hardly ever played.Great moustache though.

Talking of moustaches, I remember when we signed Tony Fitzpatrick he was supposed to be one of the new generation of midfielders. If passing the ball sideways all the time was the new generation, he was one but I thought he was poor. 

1 hour ago, chinapig said:

Amidst all the talk about how hard Gerry Gow was I wouldn't want those who never saw him to think that was all there was to him.

He grew into a very fine midfield player, what in the even older days would have been called a half back.

He moved to Man City of course and I have an old friend who is a Man City fan who reveres Gerry to this day as one of his favourite ever players.

Indeed, huge respect for him from Man City fans of that era. That’s says his good a player he was.

7 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

He was alright to be fair, better than Peerti Jantunen, he hardly ever played.Great moustache though.

Talking of moustaches, I remember when we signed Tony Fitzpatrick he was supposed to be one of the new generation of midfielders. If passing the ball sideways all the time was the new generation, he was one but I thought he was poor. 

He was our record signing at the time IIRC, £225k from St Mirren (?)

Terrific side, but looking with rose tinted specs, we needed that bit extra at the back, hence signing Norman. We were a very good side, but in the last season, some of the players were just past their peak, and we lacked pace. Whitehead was good as a winger, but an appalling scoring record in Division 1. Gow and Ritchie were terrific players, quality and commitment. We did try overseas players, Meijer score a quality goal on debut, and that was it. Jantunen looked good, and scored twice in limited appearances, odd that he was used so sparsely in a side that struggled badly to score. Tony Fitzpatrick was an odd signing, decent player, but did not work well with Gow and 1 goal in 2 seasons says it all.

1 minute ago, Chappers said:

Terrific side, but looking with rose tinted specs, we needed that bit extra at the back, hence signing Norman. We were a very good side, but in the last season, some of the players were just past their peak, and we lacked pace. Whitehead was good as a winger, but an appalling scoring record in Division 1. Gow and Ritchie were terrific players, quality and commitment. We did try overseas players, Meijer score a quality goal on debut, and that was it. Jantunen looked good, and scored twice in limited appearances, odd that he was used so sparsely in a side that struggled badly to score. Tony Fitzpatrick was an odd signing, decent player, but did not work well with Gow and 1 goal in 2 seasons says it all.

Didn't Clive Whitehead end up as a full back in our last season in the top flight or is my memory playing tricks on me? 

1 minute ago, Ska Junkie said:

Didn't Clive Whitehead end up as a full back in our last season in the top flight or is my memory playing tricks on me? 

He did indeed, and developed into a quality defender. I may have been negative, but they were great days. Is it my memory, or did AD always wait until about the 89th minute before using the sub?

1 minute ago, Chappers said:

He did indeed, and developed into a quality defender. I may have been negative, but they were great days. Is it my memory, or did AD always wait until about the 89th minute before using the sub?

My dear old dad used to go barmy with the sub thing, he always said it was to get an appearance fee for the sub (usually Keith Fear or Peter Cormack as I remember it), thinking back, he was probably right.

I used to as well, then again we always said the only flair with Alan Dicks was his trousers.

Still, top flight footie and Two Tone, happy days indeed, leading to the tour of the entire Football League, four seasons, four divisions. 

City and ska, great combination.

1 hour ago, chinapig said:

Amidst all the talk about how hard Gerry Gow was I wouldn't want those who never saw him to think that was all there was to him.

He grew into a very fine midfield player, what in the even older days would have been called a half back.

He moved to Man City of course and I have an old friend who is a Man City fan who reveres Gerry to this day as one of his favourite ever players.

He was hard as nails but as you say was a top notch midfielder. 

As his song said " he's here, he's there , he's every ***** were" and he was! An all action, box to box player and scored a lot of goals and as I think everyone knows, he could put his foot in where it hurt.

I can still see that bouncy run he had - ran on the balls of his feet.

26 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

My dear old dad used to go barmy with the sub thing, he always said it was to get an appearance fee for the sub (usually Keith Fear or Peter Cormack as I remember it), thinking back, he was probably right.

Only 1 sub back then though.  Bigger decision.  I think the 7 sub rule is part of the problem of the modern game.  Go back to 3 or at worse 4, a GK and 3 outfield, but you can only use 3.  Make managers think about their subs.

Archived