IGNORED

ASTON VILLA The taxman requests

E.G.Red

7 hours ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

The position isn't vacant. Pisano will start and Vyner sit on the bench waiting his chance, ie the inevitable injury to Pisano. 

So this signing would block the pathway to the first team for our own youngsters (no chance either Vyner or Moore will be a Championship standard centre back in the near future - Vyner possibly in the fullness of time).

Plus the wage Villa are paying Bree will probably have taken him out of our range.

Not saying he isn't a good player though.

Maybe not, we've shown before we don't mind paying a bigger signing fee to have a player sign for a smaller weekly wage (Tomlin). So if we were to save money on a deal for Bree due to their financial situation we could either use what would have been more of the fee usually to either pay a higher wage or an increased signing on fee to reduce the wage. 

5 minutes ago, hodge said:

Maybe not, we've shown before we don't mind paying a bigger signing fee to have a player sign for a smaller weekly wage (Tomlin). So if we were to save money on a deal for Bree due to their financial situation we could either use what would have been more of the fee usually to either pay a higher wage or an increased signing on fee to reduce the wage. 

If the list of wages circulating is accurate Bree is one of the lowest earners at £12k a week - We could work to that I would have thought 

1 minute ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

If the list of wages circulating is accurate Bree is one of the lowest earners at £12k a week - We could work to that I would have thought 

Easy, wouldn't even be a top earner

I’d highly recommend people who aren’t 100% clued up on this to read that Mirror article. Great read and shows the extent of their problems. They went for it full on, missed, and will now suffer the consequences.

The one thing sparing them a potential Portsmouth/Coventry situation is their academy, if they have to use the youngsters then they might well still get away with it.

12 minutes ago, nebristolred said:

I’d highly recommend people who aren’t 100% clued up on this to read that Mirror article. Great read and shows the extent of their problems. They went for it full on, missed, and will now suffer the consequences.

The one thing sparing them a potential Portsmouth/Coventry situation is their academy, if they have to use the youngsters then they might well still get away with it.

They gambled and lost. No sympathy for Xia et al here. 

43 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

42 minutes ago, hodge said:

Easy, wouldn't even be a top earner

I see the Mirror article has Bree on 23k a week !!!!!

1 minute ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

I see the Mirror article has Bree on 23k a week !!!!!

Okay even if that's the case we could probably pay the 23k a week if we saw him as a top signing or could pay him £500k extra signing fee for him to be on 15k a week.

Just now, hodge said:

Okay even if that's the case we could probably pay the 23k a week if we saw him as a top signing or could pay him £500k extra signing fee for him to be on 15k a week.

Not sure we’d pay that for a Full back though 

do you think we would ?

To make up the wages over a 2 yr contract would be a £ million signing on fee

The money is getting  ridiculous 

3 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Not sure we’d pay that for a Full back though 

do you think we would ?

To make up the wages over a 2 yr contract would be a £ million signing on fee

The money is getting  ridiculous 

A 20 year old who could either play for us for years or be sold on for profit, think we would if we felt right back was a priority position. Point I was making the mil extra signing fee  could easily be used from saved transfer fee if we can get him cheaper from Villa. 

4 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

While we’re on the topic.....can’t believe The Jam got away with ‘Start’ after this.....

Hahahahah thats mental, they've lifted that for sure!

Just now, ZiderEyed said:

Hahahahah thats mental, they've lifted that for sure!

Weller’s explanation when questioned on it was hilarious....along the lines of: “Well, at that time we were just hanging out jamming along to Beatles songs and Start came out of that...” - he’s still my hero though! I do wonder whether McCartney just had a wry smile to himself over a cup of tea and thought, ‘I’ll let you get away with that one Paul, but don’t do it again..’ - and then Oasis came along and copied the Beatles non stop!

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

Interesting and well written article.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/inside-story-behind-aston-villa-12655774.amp

So huge investment needed to keep the club afloat.  Unless they sell players, they will breach FFP undoubtedly.

Astonishing article. Worth remembering than when we see other apparently richer clubs able to purchase players we don't seem able to, maybe they are spending money they don't have and risking their entire existence. Something to think about for those who think we should "splash the cash". Villa might have made the play off final this year but would you rather be in their shoes or ours, right here, right now? Be careful what you wish for. Especially if you wish for a reckless foreign owner.

28 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

While we’re on the topic.....can’t believe The Jam got away with ‘Start’ after this.....

Always said that.

i always thought Bryan Adams Run To Me was very similar to Tom Petty Refugee

The Cult’s Love Removal Machine is similar to The Rolling Stones Start Me Up

The Cult’s Aphrodisiac Jacket is similar to Adams’s It’s Only Love

13 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Always said that.

i always thought Bryan Adams Run To Me was very similar to Tom Petty Refugee

The Cult’s Love Removal Machine is similar to The Rolling Stones Start Me Up

The Cult’s Aphrodisiac Jacket is similar to Adams’s It’s Only Love

Well if you like The Cult and Bryan Adams...get yerself to The Old Mail House in Staple Hill this Friday....

5 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Astonishing article. Worth remembering than when we see other apparently richer clubs able to purchase players we don't seem able to, maybe they are spending money they don't have and risking their entire existence. Something to think about for those who think we should "splash the cash". Villa might have made the play off final this year but would you rather be in their shoes or ours, right here, right now? Be careful what you wish for. Especially if you wish for a reckless foreign owner.

Absolutely.  In the January Window I constantly banged the drum that I thought we did well to bring anyone in, when I think we were lucky we didn’t lose any of our stars. That made me do a full review of the 16/17 accounts for every champ club this season plus those that went up last season.  It proved that in 16/17 were were a bottom 8 side financially, return a small loss on the back of transfer profit (Kodjia, Bolassie add-ons, etc etc).  17/18 has seen no transfer profit, so I think that this season we’ll post losses  around the £10-13m mark...near the FFP average yearly loss.  Out financial year finished a few days ago, so we can’t sell anyone now and put into last year’s accounts, unless perhaps the Magnússon deal was done last week (pure speculation , nothing more).

Imho, to finance Marriott at £4-6m...someone us going out the door for more (or a combination of players).

In some ways, seeing the Villa situation may drive home the importance of financial common sense.  That’s not a Holier than thou stance, we’ve made mistakes potentially with Eliasson, Engvall, etc. Just not on such a huge scale.

Whereas parachute payments have been the saviour of relegated Prem clubs of late, the escalating transfer fees and wages have contributed to negating them when coupled with a high risk approach.  Newcastle were clever in that they had a net profit on transfer dealings when coming down and then going up.  Other teams like Villa chased it because they went down with a squad of poor players and then laid over the odds.  Much as it was great for us, paying £11m for Kodjia plus performance add-ons of up to £4m plus a sell-on clause was way over the odds, but basically hiked up the market.  Hogan for £9m too, whilst bringing in loans this season like Snodgrass and Grabban and one year deals like Terry mean they will start 18/19 not only with a few key players down but a perilous financial position, where selling a Grealish or Hogan or Kodjia will keep them going but further worsen their playing capability.  Vicious circle.

8 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Eh! So you’re suggesting The Beatles didn’t play on Taxman?! The ‘Revolver’ Album track one?

Sorry? What are you talking about? 

The link you posted is a cover, as it clearly says in the description below! 

Really liked this post on the. Villa Forum

Well said :clap:

‘ I've just realised something that's made me smile ,and something that two years in the Championship has taught me.

Lerner wasn't Villa, Xia isn't Villa. 

It doesn't matter that we've been  mis - owned and mismanaged for years. We are Villa .... you, me, all of us. As long as we can find eleven players to pull on a Claret and Blue shirt, we are the Villa! I don't care what league that's in at the moment, I just want rid of the chancers and charlatans.      

Give us our Villa back!  ‘

We are City .... you, me, all of us. As long as we can find eleven players to pull on a red and white shirt, we are Bristol. City

Archived