IGNORED

Spectacular fall from grace - Diony

Major Isewater

7 minutes ago, Rich_s said:

I'd agree with the "spectacular fall from grace" bit but unlike Diony, JET was a footballer. JET on his day was probably one of the most talented and exciting players I've seen at AG for years, whereas Monsieur Diony............

jet got exactly what he deserved, a talent player yes but his lack of effort and application  is the reason he isn't at the very top,

23 hours ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

No one going to mention Steve Jones, at least in his first spell of games?

17 hours ago, Offside said:

He was a strange one. Absolutely awful at first after we paid what was quite a hefty fee at the time. Then lost weight, gained a tan,  played with more heart and became a bit of a cult figure with his own chant. 

Does anyone remember what happened between his two spells of games? Was he injured or was he just dropped for a while?

I think he'd forgotten the subtle art of running and was dropped. I do recall his second spell and he scored facing the East End. The sheer delight was evident as he leapt like a salmon with Joy. Several of us in the Dolman had to reach for our shades as the reflection from his teeth was just too much.

If any player ever in a City shirt understood what the fans like then Steve Jones understood. He worked his arse off and never stopped running every game and he scored a few. 

The moral of the story is just run your arse off roughly in the direction of the ball and the fans will love you. Much respect for the bloke. He actually wasn't too bad at all in his second spell and really developed a cult following although the affection felt a bit comedic in the same way we loved my mates three-legged dog when we were kids, a combination of admiration and pity.

2 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

jet got exactly what he deserved, a talent player yes but his lack of effort and application  is the reason he isn't at the very top,

If you'd followed his Instagram account these past couple of years I think you'd question exactly why he'd want to be at the very top? Sitting on a beach in Miami picking mid 20'sK from QPR each week for the privilege of doing so, plus earning cash on the side through his nightclub promotions. Not sure how much better life could get?

14 minutes ago, Rich_s said:

I'd agree with the "spectacular fall from grace" bit but unlike Diony, JET was a footballer. JET on his day was probably one of the most talented and exciting players I've seen at AG for years, whereas Monsieur Diony............

I think JET’s body wasn’t built for football, and as he got older, the demands to keep up with the demands got harder and harder.  He was a big old unit.  I don’t think it was a lack of effort / professionalism (maybe a small bit), just got tougher for him.

The motivation in dropping down again, having gone from Arsenal, via a few clubs to City, to end up at Gills probably went.

He gave us some great moments at Lge1 level, (with Champ/Prem class /skills - sporadically).

He never upset the morale in his bit-part contribution in 14/15....in fact I think he quite happily played that role.

20 minutes ago, BTRFTG said:

If you'd followed his Instagram account these past couple of years I think you'd question exactly why he'd want to be at the very top? Sitting on a beach in Miami picking mid 20'sK from QPR each week for the privilege of doing so, plus earning cash on the side through his nightclub promotions. Not sure how much better life could get?

he had the talent to earn 80k a week and play in the champions league according to Wenger, he just didn't have the attitude to suit

Archived