IGNORED

forest bankrolled

pillred

1 hour ago, Monkeh said:

so the 20 odd million we've spent in the last few years alone is a myth is it?

I've said this for years, but when the fans are worried about the cheque book, it shows that a club doesn't have the budget to compete.

Lansdown has pumped money into the club, but £20m today is a standard Championship budget, and plenty of other teams are paying far more. That would be fine if we were a well-run club, but recent history shows that we're not.

So, when it comes to expecting success on the pitch, why? 

With Forest, the fact that they were under a transfer embargo seemingly is being used to their benefit now. 'Sustainable losses' over the 3 year period means they can now 'go for it' as they haven't been able to sign anyone of note while under the embargo meaning their losses were virtually nothing. As they've had no losses, I assume they can now run up 3 years worth and still comply with FFP? It seems wrong to me but them's the rules I suspect. 

1 hour ago, Spike said:

Genuine question, should they not sell and instead gain promotion in on of those two years, would the promotion money cover that £50m and allow them to avoid selling?

If that is the case I guess essentially what they could do is go all or nothing again, maybe even add another £20m to that already growing number?

That's the classic " shit or bust" dilemma and looking back now it is easy to say that they made the wrong choices. I also think the Chinese owner purchased a premier league team and I wonder how much of his financial planning included any contingency for relegation to the championship, or did he bank on the premier league riches continuing to sustain the club and give him a return on his investment?  

Was their strategy over the last 2 years and spending everything to secure promotion because he panicked and was left with little option?

It now looks like their Chinese owner is looking to/needs to sell and it also sounds like Villa's chief exec was suspended because he was talking to potential suitors about buying the club ( I presume because he knew the club was up 5hit creek financially and the current owner was not able/willing to resolve the financial problems).

Reading the Villa forum when all this came to head the other week, many posters' comments were along the lines that they would rather sustain a few seasons in the championship if it meant they knew the club was secure for the future, although I also accept that they would say that now, with the benefit of hindsight.   

Many of us saw this club almost go out of existence as a result of  unsound financial decisions 30+ years ago and would not want to see any danger of that being repeated. While Sl has a his critics and in particular regarding his approach, strategy and plans for the club going forward, the one thing I am pretty certain, and reassured about is that he is not going to put the clubs future in jeopardy by making rash spending decisions. 

1 hour ago, downendcity said:

That's the classic " shit or bust" dilemma and looking back now it is easy to say that they made the wrong choices. I also think the Chinese owner purchased a premier league team and I wonder how much of his financial planning included any contingency for relegation to the championship, or did he bank on the premier league riches continuing to sustain the club and give him a return on his investment?  

Was their strategy over the last 2 years and spending everything to secure promotion because he panicked and was left with little option?

It now looks like their Chinese owner is looking to/needs to sell and it also sounds like Villa's chief exec was suspended because he was talking to potential suitors about buying the club ( I presume because he knew the club was up 5hit creek financially and the current owner was not able/willing to resolve the financial problems).

Reading the Villa forum when all this came to head the other week, many posters' comments were along the lines that they would rather sustain a few seasons in the championship if it meant they knew the club was secure for the future, although I also accept that they would say that now, with the benefit of hindsight.   

Many of us saw this club almost go out of existence as a result of  unsound financial decisions 30+ years ago and would not want to see any danger of that being repeated. While Sl has a his critics and in particular regarding his approach, strategy and plans for the club going forward, the one thing I am pretty certain, and reassured about is that he is not going to put the clubs future in jeopardy by making rash spending decisions. 

The sad thing is you’ll have to post this every couple of months to remind people,

we cant compete with most teams in this league, people expect us to spend the money that Middlesbrough and forest where we are prob competing with the millwalls and Bolton’s of this league,

6 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

The sad thing is you’ll have to post this every couple of months to remind people,

we cant compete with most teams in this league, people expect us to spend the money that Middlesbrough and forest where we are prob competing with the millwalls and Bolton’s of this league,

See I'mall up for a big punt here and there but it has to be based on the situation. I would have much prefered us in January to have gone for a couple of transfers that would have said "we're going for promotion" even if it meant selling a few players if we failed but instead we went on a complete longshot in Diony and made poor signings that did nothing. 
That said, I'd much rather take our current approach than "let's blow our load at the beginning of this season and hope it'll work out".

Archived