IGNORED

Zak has signed a new 3 year deal.

Bristol Rob

19 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Good news. With Baker, Webster and Wright presumably our first 3 i’d personally  be keeping Zak in BS3 and using him rather than looking to loan him out again. Only takes a couple of injuries and he’d be needed for the first team as things stand. 

Fine balance isn’t it. Don’t want to throw him in at the deep end, but if Baker and Webster don’t get injured then he could end up playing in fits and starts at most.

2 minutes ago, RonWalker said:

Fine balance isn’t it. Don’t want to throw him in at the deep end, but if Baker and Webster don’t get injured then he could end up playing in fits and starts at most.

For me if there’s any chance at all he’s needed in the first team then he can’t go out on loan. We saw the devastating impact last season of a couple of key injuries and how badly it can derail a (half) season’s work. 

If he’s number 6 in the pecking order then yeah get him out on loan - preferably in the Championship - for a year. But at this stage he’s part of a pair of reserve centre backs so unless more come in I can’t see how you can loan him out. 

I think if he stays he needs to play. Sitting on the bench and playing U23 football is no good for him at this age. So he either has to be probably ahead of Wright, or at least level with him, or ship him out.

I agree the team comes first and we don’t want to be left understaffed, but ultimately long-term it’s  more beneficial for us if we treat him right. IMO that means giving him a proper chance or loaning him out.

2 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Isn't it 3 and 1 year option? So basically 4

Hope so. Been an advocate of longer contracts for some. Not as angry with Vyner as we don’t know yet how he will pan out. 

3 minutes ago, Tomarse said:

I think he'll be off on another season long loan..

Me too. LJ mentioned could be interest from championship. That would be ideal if he plays. Otherwise top L1 team I would not be opposed to. 

Be disappointed if he’s on loan all season given we seemingly only have 3 ahead of him. One injury and he’s the only centre back on the bench. Could sign more of course but why not develop him here? The stats say that there’s no way baker and Webster are getting through anything like a full season so you’d think he’d have opportunities. 

1 hour ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Good news. With Baker, Webster and Wright presumably our first 3 i’d personally  be keeping Zak in BS3 and using him rather than looking to loan him out again. Only takes a couple of injuries and he’d be needed for the first team as things stand. 

Agreed.  Looks like he’s filled out, even from the games I saw him play at Plymouth.  Shows MA was too much of a short-arse to be a keeper.

I think I'd prefer him to go back to Plymouth for another season of higher mid-table/play off challenge.

If he goes on loan to a championship club, it will be one worse than us (which may not be many) so we don't want to strengthen any opponents.

Top of league 1, he may not get much exposure to defending if they win most games, bottom of League 1 maybe too much exposure, be mentally poor if ends with relegation, etc.

9 hours ago, Gillies Downs Leeds said:

Johnson also sees Hegeler as a centre back, so I think Zac will be off out on loan again, maybe just until January.

Me too, and probably it would be the best choice.

We have Moore too, that can also play as RB (like he did at Cheltenham).

10 hours ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Don’t write off Hegeler, classy footballer....

49 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Personally I wouldn’t want to help any of our competition in the Championship.

I see where you`re coming from and I sort of agree but he`s proved he`s good enough for a top end league 1 side so what do we do? Either loan him to someone like them (who realistically shouldn`t be our competitors) or leave him sitting on the bench at AG. It may even mean he helps us indirectly if he stops teams we are competing with winning games.

Archived