IGNORED

Transfers in the old days

SuperDziek

6 minutes ago, CyderInACan said:

I’m still going 

I've got one never found a use for it. Give up the gum or at least give up after you have blown (non smut) a large one that has exploded over your face.

7 hours ago, New Dazzler said:

Their was a sort of rumour mill, again mainly the Evening Post, so you often knew that the club were after certain players even if the move did not come to fruition.  I remember reports (back in the late 70s top flight days) of us trying to sign the likes of Alan Gowling (Newcastle), Derek Hales (Charlton) and a Yugoslav player with the great name of Slobodan Antic.  I'm sure we were after an Icelandic player as well, but can't remember his name, good chance his surname was Magnússon though! One thing we never got to know was any great detail of why players did not sign for us, such as dodgy medicals, personal terms, clubs not agreeing fee, etc.

Antic played and scored in friendly (Plymouth away?) but we couldn’t get a work permit so the transfer couldn’t happen.

38 minutes ago, LocoPal said:

By Tele-text of course good sir .. twas the fasion of the late, lost, missed and very gone 80's (image below is most likely from the 90's though)

teletext.thumb.png.b536951a2700f339c3aa77770bc0cb14.png

teletext.png

When I first moved out here we had no internet, teletext, mobile phones or UK TV. Our only source was hammering refresh on the Bloomberg terminal in the office. BSPF7 if memory serves.

7 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

It was easier in the past because clubs " owned " the players and they were bought and sold as it suited them .

The Chairmen of the two clubs involved discussed a deal,agreed a price and Roy of the Rovers became Roy of the Rangers with no say in whether he stayed or went .

Also, this could take place at any time, no transfer windows to worry about then .

The balance of power has shifted to the players by and large and now it's much more difficult to push deals through with the agent s using whatever means possible to get a bigger commission ,

Ah, the good old days :sad26:

13 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

I can , and so can my ex boss who paid the telephone bill !

Team Talk on an 0898 number, coinciding with the first version of a car phone (look it up kids - British Telecom Ruby) did not make my boss a happy bunny when the bill landed on the door mat ......... he made me pay it back!

As a student miles away from Bristol in the 1980s, sometimes I would find out about new players when a strange name appeared as a scorer in the classified results section of whatever newspaper I could get my hands on. Attending a convenient away match and buying a programme was also an excellent way of getting up to date with new(ish) arrivals. 

Some great stuff on here. Crazy to think nowadays that you might have had to wait until the following day to find out how City had got on (and winning 7-4 away mind!).  Simpler times when information was at a premium. None of this Twitter nonsense when someone with one follower posts transfer news!

imagine the fanfare now if we were to sign a Norman Hunter or Joe Royle!

1 hour ago, SuperDziek said:

Some great stuff on here. Crazy to think nowadays that you might have had to wait until the following day to find out how City had got on (and winning 7-4 away mind!).  Simpler times when information was at a premium. None of this Twitter nonsense when someone with one follower posts transfer news!

imagine the fanfare now if we were to sign a Norman Hunter or Joe Royle!

They're both too old now . 

14 hours ago, cidered abroad said:

We heard about new signings only after they happened. Maybe the odd one or two knew by being ITK but it was of course the Evening Post, Evening World and WDP that gave us the glad tidings.

It was even worse for away evening games in the 1950's. BBC main TV news was at 9pm so matches had not finished by then. Occasionally the results would be given on ITV at end of Ten O'Clock news but not always. If you were out of earshot to radio or TV when these evening results were given, you did not find out the result until WDP the next morning.

I always remember one particular result as the ITV man gabbled the results at a hell of a rate with about one and half seconds to give scores of each match. So one of our biggest away wins ever, came and went so fast that I didn't know if my ears were playing me tricks or not. 

Barnsley 4 Bristol 7!

Can still remember sat listening to the Redifusion wireless for this result. It followed an opening day home 6 - 1 win against Rotherham when we scored after 10 seconds.

The following Saturday me and my mates were at the Pool, W-S-M, Tropicana in newer money, and gathered around a new fangled transistor radio at 5 o clock expectantly awaiting the result, particularly as we had already scored 13 goals in the first two games of the season. As usual with City we were let down by a 4-1 loss. 1958/59 season bags of goals at both ends if you care to check.

Archived