IGNORED

did the media/journalists/reporters gang up against England fans?

2 minutes ago, Never to the dark side said:

how can Sterling get such low ratings from the fans?

Yet all the media have been united in praising sterlings performances?

I think a lot of fans only see that there is no end product, they don't see the endeavour he puts in by pulling the defense all over the place thus creating space for others, he is a cross between Junior Bent(speed),Bas Savage(Skill) and Nicky Hunt(Defensive qualities).

30 minutes ago, reddoh said:

I think a lot of fans only see that there is no end product, they don't see the endeavour he puts in by pulling the defense all over the place thus creating space for others, he is a cross between Junior Bent(speed),Bas Savage(Skill) and Nicky Hunt(Defensive qualities).

Not one of them played even close to the level Sterling plays so I'd say you're wrong.

And he's still only 23!

1 hour ago, Never to the dark side said:

how can Sterling get such low ratings from the fans?

Yet all the media have been united in praising sterlings performances?

1 minute ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

I look at it the other way around.  How can Sterling's contribution not be recognised by the fans?

Because a lot of ‘fans’ merely follow the ball and don’t watch the game

55 minutes ago, reddoh said:

Daming with faint praise 

All very well how good his movement is off the ball, but I dont think it makes up for the times he gets dispossessed or plays wayward passes. Throughout this tournament and before he has been guilty of this and its not just me....most of my knowledgable footballing mates who I watch games with have noticed this and wondered why he was in the side.

1 hour ago, reddoh said:

I agree with everything you said about no end product, Junior Bent, Bas Savage, Nicky Hunt which sums up why he’s the weak link in the team. Endeavour, though an essential quality, isn’t sufficient to guarantee a place in the team unless it’s combined with other essential skills. I don’t agree with the bit about creating space for others as he kept losing the ball and England created few scoring chances from open played during the tournament. Prior to last nights match England had made the second fewest scoring attempts per 90 minutes from open play. (3.4). Only Iran, with 3.3, had fewer.  That’s not entirely his fault but he didn’t help. If you want to win the World Cup you can just rely on set piece goals.  

Dont know you England team but think Sterling is one of your best players. Vardy instead of Sterling in the Colombia game didnt turn well. He have the ball and runs with pace. Make it difficault for the defenders, make space for his teammates. Here in Sweden most of the people think Sterling is a very good player.

9 minutes ago, Garland-sweden said:

Dont know you England team but think Sterling is one of your best players. Vardy instead of Sterling in the Colombia game didnt turn well. He have the ball and runs with pace. Make it difficault for the defenders, make space for his teammates. Here in Sweden most of the people think Sterling is a very good player.

Sadly it's only in England people don't think he's a good player!

Sterling had a fantastic tournament, but we must remember the World Cup brings in a lot of fair weather fans who know virtually nothing about the game. They know Sterling is a striker and see he got zero goals; that makes him a failure in their eyes. As other posters have already mentioned, they fail to see how he harassed and pulled apart defenses allowing players like Maguire and Kane to nab the goals.

1 hour ago, Top Robin said:

All very well how good his movement is off the ball, but I dont think it makes up for the times he gets dispossessed or plays wayward passes. Throughout this tournament and before he has been guilty of this and its not just me....most of my knowledgable footballing mates who I watch games with have noticed this and wondered why he was in the side.

But he is the best we got for that position

Rashford is so raw to the point I don't understand the love in with him. 

Big season for him next year....he needs regular first team football or he will never develop

1 hour ago, chipdawg said:

Sterling was excellent in the first half last night. He's just become the whipping boy (because there always has to be one)

Ashley Young was terrible last night. I've not heard too much stick going his way

I understand he's being played out of position, but seeing him on the pitch and stood over a dead ball in a World Cup semi final just fills me with dread. If I was Joe Bryan I'd get a PL move and think I'd have half a chance of getting into the squad. A natural left footer, quick, can run all day, attacks

46 minutes ago, Undy English said:

Sterling had a fantastic tournament, but we must remember the World Cup brings in a lot of fair weather fans who know virtually nothing about the game. They know Sterling is a striker and see he got zero goals; that makes him a failure in their eyes. As other posters have already mentioned, they fail to see how he harassed and pulled apart defenses allowing players like Maguire and Kane to nab the goals.

He’s like Giroud for France, hasn’t scored but is integral to their play, and look where they are!

4 minutes ago, Woodsy said:

Ashley Young was terrible last night. I've not heard too much stick going his way

I understand he's being played out of position, but seeing him on the pitch and stood over a dead ball in a World Cup semi final just fills me with dread. If I was Joe Bryan I'd get a PL move and think I'd have half a chance of getting into the squad. A natural left footer, quick, can run all day, attacks

Young's delivery all tournament was very good.

48 minutes ago, Undy English said:

I really think it's because lots of fans watch the ball and don't bother to look at how players contribute off the ball. Having someone as quick and skillful as Sterling spooks defences. I'm surprised that so many have slated him actually, I've thought he's looked pretty dangerous each game. Just a shame he hasn't been getting goals.

1 minute ago, JonDolman said:

Can't believe he was brought off for the poor Rashford. And don't know why so many would have Rashford ahead of him, or even ahead of Danny Welbeck. What does Rashford offer?

I think Welbeck would've been good to bring on. Athletic, dangerous in the air too and pretty experienced now. Always plays well for England. Easy to say in hindsight but I think he'd have contributed more than Rashford did.

26 minutes ago, Woodsy said:

Again, I thought he was good in the first half, but no one emerged after half time with any credit, and they all just seemed to have run out of steam.

I know what you mean about Joe Bryan.  I was thinking that Bobby Reid might have found one or two chances last night...

44 minutes ago, Woodsy said:

I don’t like Young much but his delivery has been superb all tournament tbf. 

2 hours ago, Top Robin said:

I would hazard a guess that those you think are "knowledgeable" are in fact pretty clueless. I bet they wanted rashford on and we all saw last night he is just not ready.

I don't understand why fans need a scapegoat? Happens in most clubs including ours and is usually down to lack of knowledge, understanding how a team function s and have rarely played any part in team games.

1 hour ago, Woodsy said:

Ashley Young has been the weak link all tournament imo, but a big part of that is that he's a right footed player in a position where you need to be able to go outside a full back. Not really his fault. However, I don't think we should be criticising England after that tournament; even though there are definitely criticisms that can be made of that semi final performance

11 minutes ago, frenchred said:

I would hazard a guess that those you think are "knowledgeable" are in fact pretty clueless. I bet they wanted rashford on and we all saw last night he is just not ready.

I don't understand why fans need a scapegoat? Happens in most clubs including ours and is usually down to lack of knowledge, understanding how a team function s and have rarely played any part in team games.

Its not a scapegoat, its simply a view on someones performance.

And whilst we're on it, Dele Ali has been really poor all season and in this world cup and should not have played.....not another scapegoat...just a view.

1 hour ago, JonDolman said:

That tells me that it's not really the players fault so much. As it's a funny coincidence that all played well first half and all played badly second. It's all down to Croatia changing their tactics. We have seen in other games that England do so much better in first half of games, but when teams come out with a plan at how to counter our system, we look far worse a side. England managers seem to get out thought in every tournament and pundits never seem to see it. Gary Neville last night just said we looked tired, but could not work out why. There's no way our players are less fit than Croatia's. It's just down to poor game management imo. 

Agree entirely with you but are we allowed to criticise Sir Gareth ? 

It’s good to come on this forum and see what other ‘proper’ football fans are thinking/saying. There’s some really intelligent, thoughtful comments which you won’t see in the media. 

In my opinion Gareth Southgate had a nightmare last night. I understand why he picked a settled side but Ashley Young for Danny Rose ?? 

Taking off Sterling instead of Ali who was awful and looked very tired leaving Henderson and Young exposed. 

Not changing the system in response to Croatia’s changes. 

Allowing Kane to come so deep while Rashford was everywhere but nowhere. 

Oh well. Back to being a City fan. 

2 hours ago, Undy English said:

This reminds me of The Snake for us. He does a hell of a lot of running and pulls defenders out of positions, but because his goal ratio has been poor (and he has missed some sitters) he is easy to criticise by many of our fans. Whereas I think he has done well and there is definitely a decent player in there..

Archived