IGNORED

City or Real Madrid?

sglosbcfc

22 minutes ago, sglosbcfc said:

Before my time, but my dad always said that Collier was a class Centre back, however, it looked like he was having a nightmare in that game. Anyone remember that away kit?

I thought we looked more like the Leeds team of the time, all in white and kicking anything that moved! We even did that weird "wave" thing at the centre circle before the game started. The only other time I remember seeing us do that was when we played them in the FA cup.

7 hours ago, sglosbcfc said:

I've never seen this before, can't recall ever seeing City in this strip before either.

Was at this game. Working in London and in digs ( no hotel stays in them days young uns ) in nearby Croydon. We never got in the game and a 3-1 result was fair enough.

Strange thing was the Selhurst crowd really gave Keith Fear a hard time. I presumed it was due to our/his cup exploits against Leeds Utd a few weeks earlier which was widely aired on TV.

53 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

Wouldn't have needed VAR for that penalty! :) Whitehead scored with a header? Wow!

With that hair it must have been a cushion header.

49 minutes ago, sglosbcfc said:

Before my time, but my dad always said that Collier was a class Centre back, however, it looked like he was having a nightmare in that game. Anyone remember that away kit?

Your Dad was right - a game like that was the exception for GC, not the rule.

His pairing with Merrick in the centre of defence was superb.

I think I was at that game, that was Whitehead's first season in the 1st team. There were some great players about in Div 2 then, Don Rogers being one of them although he was hated by City fans because of his Swindon connection. In those days the first strip was all red and the second all white, think it had been that way for a good number of years then it was changed to red shirts/white shorts with the away strip white shirts/black shorts which we had all through the First Division days.

3 hours ago, ashton_fan said:

I think I was at that game, that was Whitehead's first season in the 1st team. There were some great players about in Div 2 then, Don Rogers being one of them although he was hated by City fans because of his Swindon connection. In those days the first strip was all red and the second all white, think it had been that way for a good number of years then it was changed to red shirts/white shorts with the away strip white shirts/black shorts which we had all through the First Division days.

I remember he was sat in The Dolman one Saturday (he was out injured for Swindon at the time), and there was a queue of people stretching down the steps of The Dolman wanting his autograph...he duly signed 'em all. I always assumed that due to his Paulton/Norton connection he was a closet City fan (or had a soft spot for City at the very least). 

7 hours ago, sglosbcfc said:

That game was very early in Collier's career, he'd probably played less than a dozen games in the first team ie in today's terms he was a bit like Taylor Moore. He really came into his own the following season and the promotion season after that and was superb in the top league.

Archived