IGNORED

New Bristol Bears shirt v ours

ChippenhamRed

15 hours ago, TBW said:

I like it. 

Think the younger crowd will like it and the older won't though.

Probably true as a generalisation, but I’m an old stager and I like it. I don’t count though as I don’t wear football or rugby shirts. 

15 hours ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Tend to agree. It just looks cheap and very ordinary. And the band is not even a band, it’s a rectangle!

To be fair, they always are.

I don't remember many times the band actually went the whole way around the shirt.

They just go to the point where the front and back meet, so they are just a wider rectangle.

7 hours ago, CyderInACan said:

Pat Lam is an inspirational bloke. I’d imagine you’d leave the dressing room feeling like a world beater having had a team talk from him. LJ could learn an awful lot from him. (And I like LJ mind)

Exactly right. I was lucky enough to be introduced to him not long after he joined us and in just a few minutes I was in awe of him, he certainly has something special.

As for the kit, I really like it. It’s also upsetting my Gashead rugby following friends ( because of the red) so that’s a bonus:laugh:

1 hour ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

An utter desecration.

As it would be if half the City shirt was blue.

These people are truly untsc of the highest order.

Gloucester played European matches in hot pink last season. You’re viewing it from the football perspective where such things are sacrosanct, without recognising the possibility that a different sport with a different culture might react differently. It’s clearly not the same.

11 hours ago, Captain Hindsight said:

Quite rubbish.

Maybe you should listen to what Pat Lam has to say about all this and the direction of the club :yes: The guy is brilliant.

Locals will still call them Bristol, but they have a brand name which is now associated. But there’s more to it.

I like the kit and think on the whole, it’s all positively going well.

Pat Lam is one hell of a coach and I'm chuffed to bits we've got him but to be fair, he's hardly going to criticise the branding. Of course he's going to talk it up.

I feel absolutely no association to the bears brand whatever. It's one thing growing up as a kid in Hamham we would often remark upon. The total lack of bears. Not one bear.

It's all very lovely and corporate and everyone can get round it and shout hooray and the PR people will give themselves a big pat on the back and so on.

I know Bristol have been run badly for years and I never want to see us on the brink of bankruptcy again but I find the way the whole brand thing was done to be clumsy, distasteful and totally unnecessary.

That's just my opinion. I know a lot pf people feel differently. I will still support Bristol Rugby Club and go to games etc. 

Life goes on.

17 hours ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Gloucester played European matches in hot pink last season. You’re viewing it from the football perspective where such things are sacrosanct, without recognising the possibility that a different sport with a different culture might react differently. It’s clearly not the same.

Is that a Rugby fans' general opinion? Rugby has the same long tradition as football. Fans like continuity whatever the sport. To suggest a fan is happy with a stupid pink kit is disingenuous unless you come back and say you have the results of a survey that takes in an average league gate for Gloucester.

Trashing tradition is a slippery slope to greed and arrogance; many clubs have already arrived at that point.

On 20 July 2018 at 23:04, BobBobSuperBob said:

Not a fan of the egg chasing so my opinion doesn’t matter a jot

but IMHO that’s awful

Probbably worse than ours - which takes some doing IMHO

Maybe me but the full kit looks like a young child has been creative with their felt tips

Red , Blue , blocks , stripes  too much going on

Pleased they are keeping their colours though and separate from us

5650A64D-40D8-4322-9A40-A317AC6875C9.jpeg

It's just a shame Lansdown hasn't been able to keep our colours from them.

Personally I think he's just waiting for the right moment to get the rugby blue on ours. Probably after a promotion to the Premier League where backlash would, unfortunately, be minimal.

37 minutes ago, Aaron-Bcfc said:

Personally I think he's just waiting for the right moment to get the rugby blue on ours. Probably after a promotion to the Premier League where backlash would, unfortunately, be minimal.

Didn’t realise they have never had any red

Rugby fans don’t seem to bother so much about it but you have to feel sympathy

56 minutes ago, Aaron-Bcfc said:

As others have said, rugby fans aren't as obsessed with their kit as we are.

Maybe that's why they are moving towards ours, rather than us having any blue added to ours?

Of course, this is otib, so the fact that no blue has been added to our kit yet simply means it is still going to happen, so we can get outraged about it in advance.

On 21/07/2018 at 10:08, Captain Hindsight said:

Quite rubbish.

Maybe you should listen to what Pat Lam has to say about all this and the direction of the club :yes: The guy is brilliant.

Locals will still call them Bristol, but they have a brand name which is now associated. But there’s more to it.

I like the kit and think on the whole, it’s all positively going well.

Commercially as well my kids love the bears rebrand and think it really appeals to the younger ones and I suppose that’s what it’s all about appealing to the next generation! 

Us older ones will lump it and get used to it or just continue to call us Bristol it’s a no lose situation, like the shoguns thing if it don’t work they can just change it back! 

7 hours ago, Cider_boy said:

As others have said, rugby fans aren't as obsessed with their kit as we are.

Maybe that's why they are moving towards ours, rather than us having any blue added to ours?

Of course, this is otib, so the fact that no blue has been added to our kit yet simply means it is still going to happen, so we can get outraged about it in advance.

He's chucked red all over their kit (more and more each season) and now he's completely rebranded the club, which the rugby fans were, and still are, very much against. Those decisions were made with 0 prior consultation with the fans so I don't know why our fans feel so safe he wouldn't try to do the same, or similar with us.

8 hours ago, Aaron-Bcfc said:

Those decisions were made with 0 prior consultation with the fans so I don't know why our fans feel so safe he wouldn't try to do the same, or similar with us.

I don’t think anyone feels ‘safe’ as such, merely that a name and colour change is not anywhere near as likely as it is amongst Rugby clubs. 

So far the evidence appears to suggest that the Rugby club are the ones who are being expected to change. I don’t think for one second that our owners are stupid enough to try and incorporate the colour of our cross city rivals into our home kit....for a start I don’t understand what purpose it would serve?

9 hours ago, Aaron-Bcfc said:

He's chucked red all over their kit (more and more each season) and now he's completely rebranded the club, which the rugby fans were, and still are, very much against. Those decisions were made with 0 prior consultation with the fans so I don't know why our fans feel so safe he wouldn't try to do the same, or similar with us.

I can understand the introduction of red would upset them, but don’t think it’s because of rival reasons like colours would be in football but more moving away from tradition.  Know quite a few Gashead who are rugby fans, they don’t like the red on the kit purely because of Bristol City, nothingbto do with Gloucester or anybody else.

The Bears name isn’t great in my opinion, could have done a lot better but it’s something expected by the new American sponsors, to have a ‘brand’ name. This isn’t allowed in football, yet, so no worries there. Hull in recent years tried changing to Hull Tigers but was rejected by the FA. SteveL ( I assume he is the ‘he’ you refer to) wouldn’t be allowed even if he wanted to.

11 hours ago, Aaron-Bcfc said:

how did the fans cope when they were the bristol shoguns as part of the Mitsubishi sponsorship

23 hours ago, havanatopia said:

Is that a Rugby fans' general opinion? Rugby has the same long tradition as football. Fans like continuity whatever the sport. To suggest a fan is happy with a stupid pink kit is disingenuous unless you come back and say you have the results of a survey that takes in an average league gate for Gloucester.

Trashing tradition is a slippery slope to greed and arrogance; many clubs have already arrived at that point.

When Cardiff changed their kit to red, they were ridiculed throughout football, and (eventually) protested sufficiently to prompt a reversal of the decision.

Hull fans were very publicly up in arms about a proposed name change to "Hull Tigers".

I have not seen anywhere near the same sort of backlash against kit colour or name changes in rugby.  Furthermore most rugby teams have now adopted a suffix with very little reaction.  If the Bristol Rugby fans were really that bothered about having red in their kit or their name changed to "Bears" where were the mass protests?  If you check out the comments on twitter in response to the Bristol kit launch, very few are anti-red - most are positive about the design.  You can guarantee if our kit contained substantial amounts of royal blue, or if Bristol Sport tried to change our name, there would be a much bigger reaction.  Imagine the carnage on here! 

Likewise was there a massive outcry when Gloucester played in bright pink, or indeed when they wore yellow/black/red the previous season in Europe? No

Rugby sides have also been known to play ordinary league games at Twickenham for no particular reason.  It's accepted.  Would football fans be happy with that?  It would certainly be more controversial.

I don't need to conduct a survey to know that rugby fans do not react in the same way to football fans to changes to their tradition.  It simply doesn't stir up the same emotion.

Archived