IGNORED

Max O’Leary

GrahamC

I've been following City since 1950 and thinking about it, it has surprised me that we've actually had very few keepers progress from youth/Academy to first team.

Tony Cook came as a youngster from the Downs League and spent three years as a reserve until his first team chance. 

Ray Cashley in 1971 took over from Mike Gibson. And Steve Phillips came from Paulton and to become our number one for several years. 

Three from all the young goalkeepers we've had in sixty eight years is a pretty poor record.

Maybe Max will get a real opportunity to make it four?

17 hours ago, JoeAman08 said:

We do tend to overreact on here but it is a big part of Max’s learning now. All players are on social media so he will see things like this. You’d probably expect a championship keeper to get a strong hand to that but now he will see 25 comments saying it. Hopefully it drives him to get better and I am sure it will. I think he can be a good keeper for us.

Would try to get him a league one loan if I could though. Think it would be better for him to get that league experience below champ first. I know we don’t have any keepers but Plymouth lost a keeper to injury this week. Will be back around November so why not Max there until Jan? Tough call

Think it got a deflection from others comments.  You can see from the highlights (I wasn’t there), that there is a slight shift of weight to his right....and we all know from free-kicks where the keeper tries to predict the direction that getting the body to reverse is not easy....and that’s why it looks like Max perhaps should’ve saved it.

Going forward what are our options with FF injured for Forest

1. Max and Sesay - unlikely
  2. New Keeper plus Max - most likely
  3. Two new keepers plus Max - less likely.

At some point Max needs to be given his chance, but I expect LJ would prefer that to be against Plymouth rather than Forest.

Archived