IGNORED

Match day programme price increase

daored

2 hours ago, ZiderEyed said:

Why don't they just print it on cheaper paper, with less of the shite nobody cares about in it?

Cos if the take out all the advertising there would be nothing left :laugh:

• Admin

Essentially nowadays it's:

Piece from the manager 

Piece from chairman 

Couple of pages on opposition 

Report and photos from previous games 

Couple of pages for kids 

League table 

Fixtures /previous line ups 

Future ticket information 

Matchday info (line ups etc) 

Players shirt sponsors

Essentially all of that is now online, can see no reason why they are needed anymore 

45 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Pretty sure they can see it but it’s not as simple as your GCSE economics would have us believe.

how often have they tried though maybe it is that simple, I would like to see a trial then at least we could see whether things like that are price sensitive.

16 minutes ago, phantom said:

Piece from the manager 

Piece from chairman 

Couple of pages for kids 

League table 

Players shirt sponsors

Essentially all of that is now online, can see no reason why they are needed anymore 

i like doing the spot the difference quiz. kept me entertained in the millwall game last season

30 minutes ago, phantom said:

Piece from the manager 

Piece from chairman 

Couple of pages for kids 

League table 

Players shirt sponsors

Hear what you're saying Phantom, but from a personal point of view, if there was a cheaply made £1/1.50 programme available each game, focusing on the match in hand (i.e. teams, key opposition players etc.) I'd be buying one.

The few programmes I've come across from the 50s and 60s are completely bare bones with the later ones incorporating a generic football league magazine. I'd be quite happy with that. Or just produce a free online pdf version with as much content as you like.

29 minutes ago, Sleepy1968 said:

The few programmes I've come across from the 50s and 60s are completely bare bones with the later ones incorporating a generic football league magazine. I'd be quite happy with that. Or just produce a free online pdf version with as much content as you like.

I think the generic football league magazine was probably the high water mark if I’m honest. You had your teams programme but also an insert with wider coverage of the league, which was much more useful. I always regretted it ceasing. I think it was 70s rather than 50/60s though.

24 minutes ago, Leveller said:

I think the generic football league magazine was probably the high water mark if I’m honest. You had your teams programme but also an insert with wider coverage of the league, which was much more useful. I always regretted it ceasing. I think it was 70s rather than 50/60s though.

Leveller, the Football League Review was definitely  around in the late sixties - working back (see photos) I think it must have been brought out for the 66/67 season (maybe following the euphoria of the world cup win).WP_20180803_17_24_38_Pro.thumb.jpg.ead3a3437e4661d51e1fab28ecf28b43.jpgWP_20180803_17_25_08_Pro.thumb.jpg.5e8c208f3da0132650e207180106a775.jpg

Can't see problem.  If our media team can't find advertising to pay for it or nearly pay for it, i.e. Purchase price to fans £1, then ditch it.  It is after all yesterday's technology.

PS So we know the team without resorting to phones, sort the PA system out - hardly rocket science. We have enough support staff available to get this sorted once and for all.

2 hours ago, Sleepy1968 said:

Leveller, the Football League Review was definitely  around in the late sixties - working back (see photos) I think it must have been brought out for the 66/67 season (maybe following the euphoria of the world cup win).WP_20180803_17_24_38_Pro.thumb.jpg.ead3a3437e4661d51e1fab28ecf28b43.jpgWP_20180803_17_25_08_Pro.thumb.jpg.5e8c208f3da0132650e207180106a775.jpg

Just checked - 1965/74, so we were both sort of right!

6 hours ago, Leveller said:

A printed programme is pretty pointless for an informed fan - that said I still used to buy them sometimes for information on the away team. None of the content on the home team is likely to be of use to anyone using the Internet. They’re largely an anachronism from the pre Internet age. A decent online match preview with information about the visitors would be the best option now.

Well said ... 

my kids still like them and once you buy one they form a picture on the spine ,  when stood up next to each other . Hence it becomes a must buy to complete .. didn’t realise they make them at a loss though .. I wonder what the demographic is of who reads them ?

Archived