IGNORED

steve lansdown to speak on local radio

1 minute ago, RedRaw said:

I think that same line was dangled out there soon after January................we then went on to beat the previous season ticket sales record.

Cleverly the club 'market' the season tickets to ensure you retain your seat somewhat prior to the transfer window opening.

Would we have sold the same number if the supporters were aware that three key players would be sold and replaced by who they have been replaced by

( Always assuming JB does go and is not replaced by a player of similar standard which would appear likely going on recent events)

40 minutes ago, ScottishRed said:

Let's see how many 20k crowds we get sitting in lower mid-table or worse this season.

Lets see how many SC's are sold next spring after a non- discript 18/19.

I was thinking about this the other day and it's the only scenario I can imagine in which Lansdown might question his committment to the pet project that is Lee Johnson. 

1 minute ago, ScottishRed said:

Cleverly the club 'market' the season tickets to ensure you retain your seat somewhat prior to the transfer window opening.

Would we have sold the same number if the supporters were aware that three key players would be sold and replaced by who they have been replaced by

( Always assuming JB does go and is not replaced by a player of similar standard which would appear likely going on recent events)

We were told before the end of the season to expect a tough summer,

and most were aware we would lose the likes of Reid and flint when we missed out on promotion 

11 minutes ago, ScottishRed said:

I see what you're saying for sure, and agree at some point we have to hold on and give it a go. I rather hoped it might be this season and we might sell one of the top 3 players at most. We can't keep doing this and an advantage for us over Brentford is our gates are about 90% higher which all contributes. We're trying to do a Brentford but with some in-built advantages atm.

I think they average about 14k .

Ah, I read 10k or so somewhere!

I'll rephrase that to about 40-50% higher then. Doesn't change the fact that Leeds making that in commercial revenue at this level really helps them, combined with good sales and strong gate receipts so they can push the boat out a bit despite no parachute payments.#

Though I'm pretty sure it's between 10-11k unless those figures are wrong.

5 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

Season tickets holders increased And has increased season on season (including 2 relegation battles)

I think you will find that this is due to the increasing number of 'discounted' tickets to under 19's etc - no bad thing at all .

However those tickets do not provide the same level of revenue and are also more at risk regarding renewal.

2 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I'll rephrase that to about 40-50% higher then. Doesn't change the fact that Leeds making that in commercial revenue at this level really helps them, combined with good sales and strong gate receipts so they can push the boat out a bit despite no parachute payments.

I wasn't aware Leeds revenue was so high.

3 minutes ago, ScottishRed said:

I think you will find that this is due to the increasing number of 'discounted' tickets to under 19's etc - no bad thing at all .

However those tickets do not provide the same level of revenue and are also more at risk regarding renewal.

And increase in tickets is an increase regardless of what age group

5 minutes ago, ScottishRed said:

I take it you must have been away on the moon when the initial season ticket rumpus occurred.

1 minute ago, Monkeh said:

And increase in tickets is an increase regardless of what age group

It is, and please don't misunderstand, it is a good and vital policy to discount prices for the younger future fans.

But what we are talking about here is revenue and the ability to compete and I suggest that whilst the numbers may have gone up the money hasn't so your point about increased sales is a moot one.

It is, and please don't misunderstand, it is a good and vital policy to discount prices for the younger future fans.

But what we are talking about here is revenue and the ability to compete and I suggest that whilst the numbers may have gone up the money hasn't so your point about increased sales is a moot one.

Tickets represent a tiny amount of your revenue 

commercial side of things is where you make most money in sponsorship etc

1 hour ago, Monkeh said:

Tickets represent a tiny amount of your revenue 

commercial side of things is where you make most money in sponsorship etc

In the PL yes, but not at our level.

Match day revenues make up the bulk of the on-going revenue streams.

20k + in AG on a Saturday afternoon - ticket money, drinks food hospitality etc is what we rely on, £400 -500k a game.

In the PL yes, but not at our level.

Match day revenues make up the bulk of the on-going revenue streams.

20k + in AG on a Saturday afternoon - ticket money, drinks food hospitality etc is what we rely on, £400 -500k a game.

It really doesn’t,

our ticket sales doesn’t even cover the wages we pay,

think it’s around 4 mil for ticket sales and the wage bill around 18 mil

5 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

It really doesn’t,

our ticket sales doesn’t even cover the wages we pay,

think it’s around 4 mil for ticket sales and the wage bill around 18 mil

In the last set of accounts available to 31st May 2017 'Football Income' was £12.7m this included the solidarity payment and our share of the FL pool

Other commercial income was £1.56m

You are correct, the total of this did not cover the wage bill.

6 minutes ago, CHIPLEY RED said:

You're assuming I wasn't at the game, what have you based that assumption on?

To put a bit of perspective on it, looks like we matched WBA

Apologies If I misunderstood but you said

’I started listening on the way home from work’

Going by your reply I guess you meant to Steve Lansdown , not to the match !

9 hours ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

So we'll lose at Bolton on Saturday is what you're saying...?

Maybe, who's to say Bolton won't be this years surprise package.

The point I was making was WBA along with Stoke will be seen as favourites to make the playoffs at least and although the end result on Saturday wasn't what we would all have liked we have, after 1 game, matched or bettered both of those teams so don't over react. 

We are so lucky to have Mr Lansdown as our owner - local boy made good who has ploughed an unfathomable amount of his own dosh into our club. Fans of most of the other clubs in this country would give anything to have an owner like ours, including ones just up the road who have woken up and smelled so much coffee they must feel they fell asleep in a Kenco factory...

I cannot believe some of the criticism of Steve on here....he is not beyond reproach for some of his decisions, but overall he deserves nothing but gratitude and thanks. We could so easily have ended up with Oyston or Wael type owners, but we got the mega rich Bristolian who loves our club and our city and who won’t do anything to jeopardise the future of Bristol City, oh and he’s such a nice man who doesn’t flaunt his wristwatch....cheers Steve...

On 07/08/2018 at 21:13, View from the Dolman said:

Strange then that he never had a proper managerial job again then. And playing fantasy football in India doesn't count.

I thought he was enjoying the myriad delights of Thailand; perhaps he got bored of the, well you know.

On 07/08/2018 at 22:33, ScottishRed said:

I see what you're saying for sure, and agree at some point we have to hold on and give it a go. I rather hoped it might be this season and we might sell one of the top 3 players at most. We can't keep doing this and an advantage for us over Brentford is our gates are about 90% higher which all contributes. We're trying to do a Brentford but with some in-built advantages atm.

I think they average about 14k .

On 07/08/2018 at 22:42, Mr Popodopolous said:

I'll rephrase that to about 40-50% higher then. Doesn't change the fact that Leeds making that in commercial revenue at this level really helps them, combined with good sales and strong gate receipts so they can push the boat out a bit despite no parachute payments.#

Though I'm pretty sure it's between 10-11k unless those figures are wrong.

Brentford average about 10-11k across a season so you are right; their first match this season was 10,297.

I have to say City's commercial revenue, at £9 million, is brilliant; what a great job they are doing and look where they sit compared to all the other teams; only 4 million or so shy of Newcastle and I see that only increasing last season and this. hats off.

Archived