IGNORED

Johnson’s and Ashton’s deals

JasonM88

13 hours ago, Chris_Brown said:

Seen a lot of the players brought in this summer have you?

Enough to decide they're not good enough quality?

That's presumptuous of you. What if he had? We've seen the likes of Webster/Wiemann/Watkins/Hunt at the gate before potentially? 

36 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

1 or 2 games a season against us isn’t enough to know about a player anyway. Very small sample size.

Disagree, you won't know the entire player but you could get a rough idea of their ability after watching multiple games playing against other professionals but that's not my point.

Over the past two seasons he could've seen those players 4 times and watched them play for us once. It's wrong to presume he has or hasn't just because you dislike their opinion. 

14 hours ago, robin_unreliant said:

Interesting to see the numbers over a longer period.

It always puzzles me that the signing fees quoted are about what we pay the other club. No-one seems to account for the signing-on bonus that it is commonly stated the  players usually get. This is on top of their wages isn't it?

I'm guessing this might add a fair bit to the cost of players signed?

Yep for the long term financial health of the club player wages and bonuses are far more important. Does anyone ha e an estimate of the current wage bill?

Also this needs to be balanced by stadium and off pitch income which should be showing healthy growth. 

1 hour ago, Sturny said:

Disagree, you won't know the entire player but you could get a rough idea of their ability after watching multiple games playing against other professionals but that's not my point.

Over the past two seasons he could've seen those players 4 times and watched them play for us once. It's wrong to presume he has or hasn't just because you dislike their opinion. 

I think it depends what you’re looking for. You can tell a ‘good player’ from 1 game. Much harder to fully assess a player and their suitability as a potential recruit from a small sample size. There’s too many variables

I think ideally you need to have watched a player in at least 10 full games and a range of match situations (winning, losing, holding a lead, coming back from a heavy deficit) to really assess a player.

Speaking of being ‘presumptuous’ - was it not you who yesterday said Bryan is better than Dasilva despite not having watched Dasilva play?

12 minutes ago, Chris_Brown said:

You may observe that both parts of my post were questions not statements.

It came across rather rhetorical.

16 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I think it depends what you’re looking for. You can tell a ‘good player’ from 1 game. Much harder to fully assess a player and their suitability as a potential recruit from a small sample size. There’s too many variables

I think ideally you need to have watched a player in at least 10 full games and a range of match situations (winning, losing, holding a lead, coming back from a heavy deficit) to really assess a player.

Speaking of being ‘presumptuous’ - was it not you who yesterday said Bryan is better than Dasilva despite not having watched Dasilva play?

I said my opinion on DaSilva was speculation from what I've seen but I still believe Bryan is currently a better player and DaSilva is inferior. There are facts and stats to look at which give you an indication on things about that player's ability.

Tired of debating this with you mate it's getting rather stale. I clearly don't share your optimism on things. 

Archived