IGNORED

Mark Ashton On Summer Transfers

Smokey

5 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Revenue is surely going to be up quite considerably though. Those Manchester cup games plus extra membership/season ticket/match day ticket sales/hospitality /merchandise will be worth £millions.

£2m at most I reckon....and Bob reckons he calculated a £1m.  Definitely not as much as people expect.

4 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Hi Dave.

I had a look at Kieran Maguire and his analysis and he reckoned 16/17 our excludable costs were 6 million.

Ta

That means according to his calculations, his contacts, we lost for FFP purposes 400k in 2016/17. 

Makes sense then.

I'll double check and see if I can find it but 5m for the academy, sounds like it's in that ballpark.

Exactly right, of course we would have tried to keep them, as you say easier to pay more than replace, more cost effective too!

Your 18.4m loss figure- do you think that was after excludable costs or before?

Before, SL covers all the losses, FFP is a subset of the P&L.

The only thing I noticed with Ashton...as far as I remember he didn't mention anything I don't think about a Flint buyout clause.

If he had 3 years left and no buyout clause (maybe he did but it had commercial confidentiality/NDA) then that would surprise me a little. Hence he probably did but we couldn't mention it.

Yep, commercial confidentiality....you don’t want other clubs thinking that a future asset has a clause and that we put them in for all our players.

Edit: Seems my memory was wrong on the Academy- I've looked again and it seems to be £2.5m!

a-close-up-of-text-on-a-white-background

http://priceoffootball.com/bristol-city-unfinished-sympathy/

See above...ta.

36 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I would’ve liked to have seen Ashton comment on the other departures - notably Djuric and Engvall. 

With those two transfers there’s been a loss of almost £3m in one summer.

I know we’d have got a very polished answer, but I’d still want to hear their take on these deals.

You win some, you lose some.  Would be nice to hear I agree, but that’s that his MO is it!!

Good interview by Ashton. Unpalatable as it may be his job is to have a Commercial approach to the club. That’s his job.

in that respect he did a good job in making £21 million on Flint, Reid and Bryan. When you take into account the Kodja transfer as well you can argue we’ve got good Value for an outlay of c.£2.5m.

On the flip side the purchases and sale of Engvall, Mags and Duric resulted in c£2.5 m loss. I think Ashton will be unpopular times as he has to make Commercial decisions and probably as fans we wouldn’t always make those.

it does go to show with some of the money spent in the championship we are still one of the smaller clubs. There remains a lot of reliance on the coaching staff to get the best out of the squad.

Archived