IGNORED

Did Brexit shape our new transfer policy?

Marina's Rolls Royce

3 hours ago, jaydee=inspiration said:

How can the EU bail Turkey out if it’s not even part of Europe?

Because the European central funds and banks have an option in terms of buying FX at inflated  prices to support plus offering discounted loan funding (usually non-recoverable.) Erdogan's making some thinly veiled threats, one option being to expedite Turkey's entry into the EU, thus offering protection through that route. As an applicant member they're already in the queue albeit stalled with only half the entry conditions met. Blackmail's a powerful tool.

21 hours ago, Williams' Penalty said:

Surely they will just change the rules to make it easier for EU players to come over? 

We rely hugely on European players in our leagues 

Funny how we’ve been literally conditioned to think that over just the last 20 years.

The game seemed to be popular and successful enough for the previous 140 years.

I wonder why that is?

14 hours ago, 054123 said:

Funny how we’ve been literally conditioned to think that over just the last 20 years.

The game seemed to be popular and successful enough for the previous 140 years.

I wonder why that is?

Think there's a bit of selective history here.

While I agree it did flourish in the UK for most of the prior 140 years, the 1980's for a variety of reasons were a fallow time for UK football. Attendances were right down, football fans were seen and treated as hooligans (not saying it's right but there was a certain amount of bad behaviour also), clubs...a lot of clubs were on their uppers, banned from European competition etc etc.

Certainly, English football was not a global brand at this time. Partly because of the European ban, and partly because football had moved on from 4-4-2, English clubs in European competition for a few years in the 90's were fairly crap, with a few exceptions. Lack of exposure didn't help, tactics that were sound previously were no longer and yeah perhaps it was a bit inward looking- perhaps the key word.

Can assure you, though there are plenty of mediocre European players, there are also a decent number of mediocre English ones too. Look at English clubs in Europe from early 90's to maybe 1996, the performances overall were not good at all. On that note, and it is changing now but for quite some time in recent years, I'd argue there was some better value at certain levels in the European transfer market. Grealish £35m is he? I get the buying on potential argument mind.

As for the 2nd tier, it had a heavy bias towards 4-4-2 let's say

Ideally you want a blend of English and foreign ideas and I hope Burnley win the Europa League and get into the CL by doing so for that matter...but European patience in possession etc has certainly been a force for change and yeah if we were still English 4-4-2 of the old school, we (as in English sides)  would get significantly outpassed, out thought and just for want of a better word most often, outmaneuvered I think- in the CL etc I mean.

Famara’s Senegalese anyway, isn’t he? Born in Senegal, played international football for them. Is his links with France the only reason we have him, or did we have to apply for a permit anyway?

(responding to an earlier poster who said Famara and Eliasson might be at risk, but can’t backtrack to quote the post now!)

11 hours ago, Dastardly and Muttley said:

Famara’s Senegalese anyway, isn’t he? Born in Senegal, played international football for them. Is his links with France the only reason we have him, or did we have to apply for a permit anyway?

(responding to an earlier poster who said Famara and Eliasson might be at risk, but can’t backtrack to quote the post now!)

i understand those already here will be granted settled status as a "default" - unless they have criminal convictions in the UK.

Not sure on Fammy, but he may well have French citizenship. 

TBH, Prem clubs never have many problems bringing in non-EU players now. If you pay enough and get someone to do the paperwork for you, it isn't an issue.

On ‎11‎/‎08‎/‎2018 at 10:33, Sweeneys Penalties said:

I'd hope Brexit had been thought about and debated. It'd be madness to ignore the biggest Political and Social shift in donkeys years. 

Surely the trade in donkey's ears is already banned and covered by both UK and Euro legislation?  Regardless of Brexit.

*oop's beg your pardon, it's YEARS not EARS sorry! :) 

On 11/08/2018 at 10:41, Williams' Penalty said:

Surely they will just change the rules to make it easier for EU players to come over? 

We rely hugely on European players in our leagues and I really doubt they will prevent that. Furthermore players are coming into the country guaranteed employment on considerable wages for the period they are in contract, so surely they will easily be granted a work permit? 

To be honest I'm not hugely well acquainted with the UK work psrmit rules and FIFAs non-EU player rules but I'm sure that it is very difficult to have grounds to not grant a player a work permit when they are going to be signed on a deal that proves they will be in work earning big wages and paying into the economy.

Really don't think in a sport with such big money as football that work permits will be allowed to become a huge issue, and this "international performances" rule seems rather stupid, im not sure quite why it is in place- I assume if it becomes a big issue people will lobby to get it changed. 

All in all I don't think brexit will have as big an effect on football (at champiomship and premier league level) as people may think, it's such a big industry with such huge money that I'm sure people won't let work permits get in the way.

:laugh: bigger than financial services or medicine or agriculture etc etc? All of which have to deal with the mess

“Just change the rules for stuff I want to do or that directly affects me”

Yay Brexit!

On 11/08/2018 at 10:42, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

Well- as the government failed to do so- do you think the FA have made plans for a scenario which they, nor any business, can predict?

I’m guessing the FA will follow their disciplinary procedures and obtain special dispensation to be granted work permits for players “on the balance of probability” rather than following the law in this country.....isn’t that what they do?!!!

Archived