IGNORED

Gustav Engvall Sale Price

Redland

The whole thing is poor, the fee is awful but the fact that we never got to see him play. Would he have been homesick if he had been given a few games when he got here? Is he that much worse than Taylor? Would have been nice if he would have taken an English loan to see how he shaped up. 

That said , it’s over and all clubs have these transfers. I think it was Everton sold someone for £10m they got for £28m. 

I’d have given him games, but I don’t see training. I’d have kept Mags and Duric, it comes down to LJ’s choices and soon he’ll have to prove himself right, let’s hope he does it this year.

What really was the problem? I cannot accept that a player who has played for Sweden at every level including being a full international is a bad player, so there must be more to it. The small glimpses of him we were allowed confirms this opinion of his playing in my view. I suspect that BCFC are still not that bright in the percentage of foreign players they are able to manage. Past and recent events show this to be true..

Here's a suggestion for the Club. If you are going to regularly waste a lot of money (£2 million+ in Gustav's case) why not spend a fraction of that in employing foreign language counsellors who also know about football to get to the root of any problem and devise a strategy? Maybe the Club are already doing this? If so I haven't heard about it

I suspect that exaggerations may occur at the negotiation stages which lead to problems and these problems are multiplied  in translation. Someone who has made the committment to uproot themselves to play in a foreign country could get more than peed off in these circumstances.eg. Gary Johnson says to Evander Sno  "You'll definitely start regularly and in your best position because this didn't happen at your present Club" - what actually happens : Evander is put out on the left ****ing wing!!

Not going to get it right all the time. Still feel strongly that he wasn't given a fair chance. By that I mean 5 games in a row starting etc. 

Not sure we made it easy for him.

Selling him for £250,000 isn't great but still save money on his wages . Hopefully have a high sell on clause.

10 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

The whole thing is poor, the fee is awful but the fact that we never got to see him play. Would he have been homesick if he had been given a few games when he got here? Is he that much worse than Taylor? Would have been nice if he would have taken an English loan to see how he shaped up. 

That said , it’s over and all clubs have these transfers. I think it was Everton sold someone for £10m they got for £28m. 

I agree. It's a fact of life that some transfers don't work out but I don't understand signing an International player for £2.5 million  and then offloading him without even giving him a chance in the team. If LJ thought he was that useless in training it begs the question why he was ever signed in the first place.

27 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

I’d have given him games, but I don’t see training. I’d have kept Mags and Duric, it comes down to LJ’s choices and soon he’ll have to prove himself right, let’s hope he does it this year.

I think in most cases its the players choice.

5 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

It wasn’t £2.5m.  It was less than half of that.

Adam Baker has said it was £2.5 million and since he worked at the club I think it's reasonable to assume that he knows what he's talking about.  

2 minutes ago, Redland said:

I agree. It's a fact of life that some transfers don't work out but I don't understand signing an International player for £2.5 million  and then offloading him without even giving him a chance in the team. If LJ thought he was that useless in training it begs the question why he was ever signed in the first place.

Being a lazy sod didn't prevent Marlon Brown playing many times for Bristol City

32 minutes ago, southvillekiddy said:

What really was the problem? I cannot accept that a player who has played for Sweden at every level including being a full international is a bad player, so there must be more to it. The small glimpses of him we were allowed confirms this opinion of his playing in my view. I suspect that BCFC are still not that bright in the percentage of foreign players they are able to manage. Past and recent events show this to be true..

Here's a suggestion for the Club. If you are going to regularly waste a lot of money (£2 million+ in Gustav's case) why not spend a fraction of that in employing foreign language counsellors who also know about football to get to the root of any problem and devise a strategy? Maybe the Club are already doing this? If so I haven't heard about it

I suspect that exaggerations may occur at the negotiation stages which lead to problems and these problems are multiplied  in translation. Someone who has made the committment to uproot themselves to play in a foreign country could get more than peed off in these circumstances.eg. Gary Johnson says to Evander Sno  "You'll definitely start regularly and in your best position because this didn't happen at your present Club" - what actually happens : Evander is put out on the left ****ing wing!!

Don't be coming on here with your forward thinking and sensible suggestions

6 minutes ago, Redland said:

Adam Baker has said it was £2.5 million and since he worked at the club I think it's reasonable to assume that he knows what he's talking about.  

He’s probably rounding up the fee, including agent fees maybe but regardless, it’s a big loss. Hard to see how the fee for a full international could be less than £1.5m.

i think as supporters we need to be careful with feed in and out, the club will always spin them in the right direction. We never seem to lose our, do we? Honestly, does anyone think we got our money back on Tomlin? That’s madness! 

1 minute ago, Mendip City said:

He’s probably rounding up the fee, including agent fees maybe but regardless, it’s a big loss. Hard to see how the fee for a full international could be less than £1.5m.

I think as supporters we need to be careful with fees in and out, the club will always spin them in the right direction. We never seem to lose out, do we? Honestly, does anyone think we got our money back on Tomlin? That’s madness! 

As Eliasson has shown it can take a year to adapt to Championship level so if the guy wasn’t up to it and probably didn’t make the effort to adjust then could not have played him anyway.

Don't remember £2.5m being mentioned before and assume if it was that it would have been made up of add-ons which would not have materialised. It’s also possible that we could have received loan fees for him or is that wishful thinking. 

1 minute ago, Johnny Musicworks said:

As Eliasson has shown it can take a year to adapt to Championship level so if the guy wasn’t up to it and probably didn’t make the effort to adjust then could not have played him anyway.

Don't remember £2.5m being mentioned before and assume if it was that it would have been made up of add-ons which would not have materialised. It’s also possible that we could have received loan fees for him or is that wishful thinking. 

Gustav is established at international youth team level. Niklas is not.

6 minutes ago, Johnny Musicworks said:

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/revealed-cut-price-fee-bristol-1886409

Archived