IGNORED

Liam Walsh

Red Skin

He’s got all the raw attributes to be a top player in this division. He also certainly isn’t lacking aggression. Think people forget he’s only just turning 21 next month. Him alongside Vyner, Kelly and Moore should be all become good players at this level.

5 hours ago, Clutton Caveman said:

I think that all of these comments come from Gary Johnson under an alias.

He somehow found a way to play junior and I guess junior is using the same pink glasses to view Walsh

When you are so small you cannot win anything in the air and you win few 50:50's as you get muscled out. The small players who have really made it have aggression, a great motor and vision to pick a pass.

Walsh has none of these attributes.

He is a pass recycler constantly demanding the ball and doing nothing but passing sideways or backwards

Bearing in mind the average height of our team, he is a luxury at corners and free kicks and cannot be left up front because he has no pace.

I agree with the Warnock theory "a good big un is always better than a good littleun" 

Take it you don’t rate Korey Smith then? Or are those extra two inches massively vital to his game?

6 hours ago, Clutton Caveman said:

I think that all of these comments come from Gary Johnson under an alias.

He somehow found a way to play junior and I guess junior is using the same pink glasses to view Walsh

When you are so small you cannot win anything in the air and you win few 50:50's as you get muscled out. The small players who have really made it have aggression, a great motor and vision to pick a pass.

Walsh has none of these attributes.

He is a pass recycler constantly demanding the ball and doing nothing but passing sideways or backwards

Bearing in mind the average height of our team, he is a luxury at corners and free kicks and cannot be left up front because he has no pace.

I agree with the Warnock theory "a good big un is always better than a good littleun" 

Good description. A lot of younger (academy) players seem to be more than competent on the ball, play lots of passes sideways and back, but don't have that extra spark to move the game forward. However, I do appreciate this is sometimes a fault of team mates movement off the ball and due to a lack of options.

I like Walsh and from the bits I've seen he's got a good range of passing. I just hope he (and the team in general) can be a bit more dynamic. I like seeing the team keep possession and I don't mind it being played back to the keeper to start again. I just don't like the 10 or so passes in midfield, we decide it's going nowhere and we resort to 50/50 punts up field or in the channels.

I must've been watching a different player if you think he lacks aggression, as he's not afraid to put his foot in. I don't think his size should be an issue. Modric is a similar size isn't he? Whilst not wanting to compare their abilities, as Modric is one of if not the best in his position, if you're technically sound and positionally aware you can certainly offer something. 

The Academy one who I consider the best prospect after Kelly, Vyner and O'Leary, is Joe Morrell. 

Similar build to Walsh, yet hardly ever out-muscled by larger opponents. Always looking for the ball forward to create openings, yet sensible enough to play keep ball when necessary. I see a good future for him. 

Walsh is a similar midfielder to Morrell. It may come to pass that the better of the two will make it as a regular in our first team. After that who knows. 

To talk about Walsh and Corey Smith in the same sentence is hard to understand. On Tuesday Smith was the total leader all over the field, doing his job and others and even pushing on to score. He is certainly larger than Walsh in every way, wins his fair share in the air and can see a pass.

Totally in a different league

Archived