IGNORED

Jack Hunt

Berkshire Red

I'm not sure if I have missed a previous thread on Hunt, but after a relatively poor team display yesterday I thought it worth highlighting one of the positives to come out of the game last night. I think he has looked a quality signing the 2 times I've seen him play (Bolton and Plymouth) and he will be a key player for us this season. He made some excellent runs forward and looks a good crosser too. Shame we didn't have anyone who looked like winning an attacking header all last night.

I was however most impressed by his energy and continued running up and down that right wing all night. Thought Watkins was a bit non existent throughout much of the second half, yet he continued to create and track back with limited support.

4 minutes ago, City18 said:

I'm not sure if I have missed a previous thread on Hunt, but after a relatively poor team display yesterday I thought it worth highlighting one of the positives to come out of the game last night. I think he has looked a quality signing the 2 times I've seen him play (Bolton and Plymouth) and he will be a key player for us this season. He made some excellent runs forward and looks a good crosser too. Shame we didn't have anyone who looked like winning an attacking header all last night.

I was however most impressed by his energy and continued running up and down that right wing all night. Thought Watkins was a bit non existent throughout much of the second half, yet he continued to create and track back with limited support.

I've learnt to be VERY wary of performances from new players.....because they tend to dip.....Pisano Matthews Foster just examples in that position alone.

Will reserve judgement.

17 minutes ago, Red white and red said:

Really? I like the look of him going forward but he got rolled by the Plymouth winger about 4 times, leaving about 40 yards of space behind him. He was absolutely blowing after 60 minutes and could barely get back!

He's a defender first and foremost, I'd like to see him stop the ball getting in the box initially. 

There's nothing wrong with defenders making runs, but last night we were asking full backs to make all the running and then expecting them to put in cultured final passes. Isn't that why we have wingers??

I like Hunt, and from what I've seen so far, he's a useful addition, however against a Championship side that 10 men forward style would've been punished.

29 minutes ago, Red white and red said:

Really? I like the look of him going forward but he got rolled by the Plymouth winger about 4 times, leaving about 40 yards of space behind him. He was absolutely blowing after 60 minutes and could barely get back!

He's a defender first and foremost, I'd like to see him stop the ball getting in the box initially. 

I agree that a full back's first duty is to defend. I also understand why teams want them to burst forward into attack because they invariably create an extra man mainly because forwards are not the best at tracking back.

However, it means with us, that Watkins is not playing as a winger, more like an old fashioned inside right. This means that the central path to opposition goal becomes more crowded and gives us less opportunity to play through a defence. It also means that the winger, Watkins, is not the one making the majority of crosses. 

Does this mean we are not using Watkins wing skills as efficiently as we could? I believe so.

Archived