IGNORED

Lloyd Kelly

MC RISK77

My thoughts...if I’m a young player and the first choice centre backs are injured and I am picked, it is my opportunity to stake a claim for the shirt.  Kelly deserves to keep the shirt....I don’t care how old he is.  He was the best city player by a country mile.  He knew what to do in every defensive situation.  Personally, I think he will go on to play for a top premier league team.

Enjoy him while it lasts.

4 hours ago, Robbored said:

The lad certainly looks class and at 6’3’ is tall enough to play at CB.

As for being ‘out muscled’ - Asambalonga is all about strength and power and he’s one of the toughest opponents Kelly will face in the Championship. He bashes every defender in the same fashion. 

All good experience for Kelly.

And fouls and whinging to the ref when he loses the ball.

That said, you'd always want him on your side. 

He's not a technically gifted player but his scoring ratio is great through sheer determination.

I thought he was absolutely outstanding today. You can see why Johnson thinks he’s a Centre Back. Thought he oozes class and was strong as **** against Assaalongba. He makes the game looks so easy. Reminded me of Gary Collier and that is massive praise. Thought him and Pack were the only bright spots today.

11 hours ago, RedDave said:

Cant agree I’m afraid. If you take into account his age then he was decent but he has to be a lot braver on the ball and not sit so deep when we are in position. Johnson clearly spoke to him at half time as he improved this second half but Boro happy to sit back by then

He’s improving every game he plays. When the club loan out young players they get stick for not “giving them a run of games” so I reckon we should be grateful Lloyd is getting this chance.

3 minutes ago, BTRFTG said:

Despite what the numpties at Thatchers thought he was by far our best player today. Kid did really well.

He did ok, can't say any of our players ' did really well' yesterday? 

Wieman for me looked a class above the other 10 city players yesterday.

52 minutes ago, Spoons said:

He did ok, can't say any of our players ' did really well' yesterday? 

Wieman for me looked a class above the other 10 city players yesterday.

Taking into account his age and experience I thought he did really well

I also agree with your comments about Weimann - his work rate and intelligent runs are on a different level to anyone else 

Has clear potential but currently is not tough enough for the Championship nor good enough. 

Also feel him and Webster contributed to a lackluster tempo and both lack desire.

With a bit of development and an 'edge' added as well as being in a team with a real strategy and way of playing I'd be surprised if he didn't become at least a playoff contending Championship first teamer one day.

He must had been in possession more than any other player. He always looked assured on the ball, his passing is pretty good, and he brings the ball out if there is space in front of him. He hit a few long balls, but seemed more due to lack of options in front of him, than anything. Thing is, is he also doing this in training etc ? If so, surely he is ready as first choice CB - he looked better than some of the "proven" Championship players out there, and defensively was let down by the more experienced defenders.

What exactly are our plans for LK - we brought in Dasilva onloan presumably as first choice LB, and Kelly is not (was not) high on the list as CB starters.... so was he just going to be a bit player, are we a little to conservative in bringing through our lads at times.

22 hours ago, RedDave said:

Cant agree I’m afraid. If you take into account his age then he was decent but he has to be a lot braver on the ball and not sit so deep when we are in position. Johnson clearly spoke to him at half time as he improved this second half but Boro happy to sit back by then

Exactly. He looked decent as Boro had limited intent at 2.0. He could sit deep and look like Franz Beckenbauer with limited pressure. 

LJ moaning he needs to buy a center half post match makes me think LJ thought the same

34 minutes ago, REDOXO said:

Exactly. He looked decent as Boro had limited intent at 2.0. He could sit deep and look like Franz Beckenbauer with limited pressure. 

LJ moaning he needs to buy a center half post match makes me think LJ thought the same

Agreed. Johnson praised him but with the caveat “given his age”.  Kelly better off at left back for now

6 minutes ago, RedDave said:

Agreed. Johnson praised him but with the caveat “given his age”.  Kelly better off at left back for now

That was a strange comment in the context of the other ages of the back four, where Kelly was comfortably our best performer.

If LJ does see Kelly as a LB (yesterday was a one-off). Who is first choice LB....Kelly or Dasilva?  It is one of the problems of the modern day squad game.

3 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

That was a strange comment in the context of the other ages of the back four, where Kelly was comfortably our best performer.

If LJ does see Kelly as a LB (yesterday was a one-off). Who is first choice LB....Kelly or Dasilva?  It is one of the problems of the modern day squad game.

Hunt was our best yesterday I reckon. Kelly performance was good if take into account age. Average if you dont

Archived