IGNORED

Training methods

Andy Horsman

Not sure if this has been raised elsewhere, and  I'm certainly no sports scientist, but I'm becoming more than a little concerned at the level of injuries we have to key players each season, and whether some may be avoidable. Last season it was well documented that the likes of Hegelar,  O'Neil, O'Dowda, Taylor, Diedhou, Pisano, Djuric were all out for considerable periods of time. This season, having signed several players with  mixed injury records, we have already seen Adelukan, Fielding, Baker, Moore and Wright ruled out as well.  Could it possibly be an issue with the players' training and recovery regimes? The all energy, high pressing game that LJ advocates is physically intense and draining so I was wondering if the training regime could be a contributing factor to the players being more susceptible to injury. I'm prepared to be 'shot down in flames' but I wondered what other OTIB users opinions are on this.

Last season the worst injuries were caused by contrasts on the pitch, so I thought that is was mainly a matter of bad luck, but beginning another season with an emergency in defence and two bad injuries to Frankie and Adelakun is worrying...and a problem with training could really be the cause (or one of the causes).

1 hour ago, Andy Horsman said:

Not sure if this has been raised elsewhere, and  I'm certainly no sports scientist, but I'm becoming more than a little concerned at the level of injuries we have to key players each season, and whether some may be avoidable. Last season it was well documented that the likes of Hegelar,  O'Neil, O'Dowda, Taylor, Diedhou, Pisano, Djuric were all out for considerable periods of time. This season, having signed several players with  mixed injury records, we have already seen Adelukan, Fielding, Baker, Moore and Wright ruled out as well.  Could it possibly be an issue with the players' training and recovery regimes? The all energy, high pressing game that LJ advocates is physically intense and draining so I was wondering if the training regime could be a contributing factor to the players being more susceptible to injury. I'm prepared to be 'shot down in flames' but I wondered what other OTIB users opinions are on this.

I have a lot of faith that the player workloads are being very closely monitored. They all go through physical readiness screenings pre training. We use a GPS monitoring system that tracks all physical efforts (sprints, distances, impact, rotational forces). Our head of fitnesss and conditioning has a Phd in a related field.

Its very very very bad luck... 

Frank F and Adelekun were both clogged by stupid opponents in pre season friendly games. About time we stopped the love in with Yeovil and pre season friendlies. Shrews forward who did FF is just as bad. 

As for the rest, Moore was apparently injured in training. 

Can't work out why Hegeler and Wright are injured as they both had ops to repair their last season injuries. 

Baker appears to be very fragile, seems to be permanently carrying and playing with them. 

The number of bad injuries in the last year and a half is concerning. Bad luck or training and playing methods? 

Archived