IGNORED

Lloyd Kelly

daored

11 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Sorry mate - I’m being dumb here

ouside the X1 ?

First team. I have seen him elsewhere. He plays into feet, goes in behind possession v getting beyond it. He is adept on the ball but looks conservative e.g. no wall passes, one two's … That was an observation. It looks potentially like a footballing CB. Footballing as we should expect coming out of the academy 

1 minute ago, Cowshed said:

First team. I have seen him elsewhere. He plays into feet, goes in behind possession v getting beyond it. He is adept on the ball but looks conservative e.g. no wall passes, one two's … That was an observation. It looks potentially like a footballing CB. Footballing as we should expect coming out of the academy 

No mate

Ive only ever seen him in first team appearances

So very much my initial impressions

2 hours ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

I’d much rather he concentrates on his defending and positioning (Which has noticeably improved over the three games I’ve seen him at CB)  atm HC

Tbf last night was not the night to have him bombing forward too much , especially first half, the first goal last night to whichever side  was massive 

Personally I think he probably never be the threat JB was in the middle and final thirds but he has all the attributes to be a top centre half in the modern game (Bit more upper body strength and experience to top up)

A potential very good Rio Ferdinand style centre half

He’s an exceptionally composed defender, but a bit too conservative going forward. I don’t think he’ll ever be a Joe Bryan running down the wing, but in the first half last night he kept the brake on too much when he could have been supplying Eliasson with opportunities. He kept coming inside to the safer midfield options, which held us back. This was the only negative though.

In my view he is already good enough to rely on as a centre back. I know Assombalonga scored the other day but LK handled himself very well against a strong attack.

Just now, Leveller said:

He’s an exceptionally composed defender, but a bit too conservative going forward. I don’t think he’ll ever be a Joe Bryan running down the wing, but in the first half last night he kept the brake on too much when he could have been supplying Eliasson with opportunities. He kept coming inside to the safer midfield options, which held us back. This was the only negative though.

In my view he is already good enough to rely on as a centre back. I know Assombalonga scored the other day but LK handled himself very well against a strong attack.

If I had one (Miniscule) ‘worry’ of him 

(his composure is frightening - looks so laid back - almost too laid back ! - but that for me , says confidence not arrogance in his case)

would be that he’s possibly a bit ‘nice’

Ive heard him interviewed and he sounds a great lad , very grounded and indeed a very nice lad - has to be a greater asset than nastiness

Im sure he will find what he needs when he needs to

I agree with most of the comments about Kelly but one thing that really stands out for me is they way he moves , he is so elegant .

He is like Bobby Moore .

My little bug bear is his tendence to advance with the ball then simply turn round and pass it back.

I expect it's a confidence thing but can't wait to see him reach his full potential ( probably at another club ) 

:badmood:

24 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

I agree with most of the comments about Kelly but one thing that really stands out for me is they way he moves , he is so elegant .

He is like Bobby Moore .

My little bug bear is his tendence to advance with the ball then simply turn round and pass it back.

I expect it's a confidence thing but can't wait to see him reach his full potential ( probably at another club ) 

:badmood:

Exactly this, he has probably heard the groans when Webster pushes forwards and gets caught out of position, purely a confidence thing.

14 hours ago, daored said:

This lad was class tonight , an absolute prospect of a player. Keep him at centre half 

I think he's one of the best prospects at AG since I can't remember when. If he maintains his current attitude and focuses on his football then I'm pretty sure he'll go far in the game.

42 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

If I had one (Miniscule) ‘worry’ of him 

(his composure is frightening - looks so laid back - almost too laid back ! - but that for me , says confidence not arrogance in his case)

would be that he’s possibly a bit ‘nice’

Ive heard him interviewed and he sounds a great lad , very grounded and indeed a very nice lad - has to be a greater asset than nastiness

Im sure he will find what he needs when he needs to

LJ said a similar thing about Vyner, that the only thing his game is lacking is aggression and once he adds that he'll be championship ready. I believe this was just before his Plymouth loan and he got rave reviews down there so I'm looking forward to seeing how he gets on at Rotherham and then we should have another fine young academy CB in our squad.

4 hours ago, Snufflelufagus said:

I would agree not as good going forward as Bryan. But i really would like our defenders to just focus on defending. We wingers for the attacking. The teams up the top and certainly those that get promoted don't let many goals in.

Agree with this. I think there are too many full backs that play as auxiliary wingers these days and many aren't too clever defensively. I see his long term future being at centre half anyway but I'm all for full backs that can defend.

4 hours ago, hoxton casual said:

Wonderful defender,. Sorry to go against the grain however, but  his failure to get forward sometimes put us  under pressure. He looked like he had a nose bleed when he passed the half way line.  This is a real shame, and he has pace to burn and a wonderful left foot. If he plays regularly in a team playing well, hopefully that confidence comes. From what I say of Da Silva he was a massive threat going forward. Only saw Da Silva him for 15 minutes and Mboro were sitting back, so I dont know whether he can also defend. Also DaSilva is very small and Kelly's height really helps at times.

Atm we need a back four that can defend first and foremost. On Saturday he won half a dozen 1 v 1 battles with Assombalonga who is a bloody beast and did very well in a 1 v 1 after we gave the ball away forcing the Boro player to shoot wide from distance. He won a few headers too. The attacking part will come because you can see the ability there. I’d much rather have a defender with his flaws than Webster and Hunt who look good on the ball but seem defensively suspect atm. Build from the back is the mantra of good teams, Pulis’s Boro side being a good example.

11 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

Atm we need a back four that can defend first and foremost. On Saturday he won half a dozen 1 v 1 battles with Assombalonga who is a bloody beast and did very well in a 1 v 1 after we gave the ball away forcing the Boro player to shoot wide from distance. He won a few headers too. The attacking part will come because you can see the ability there. I’d much rather have a defender with his flaws than Webster and Hunt who look good on the ball but seem defensively suspect atm. Build from the back is the mantra of good teams, Pulis’s Boro side being a good example.

I think Kelly will become more attacking in which ever role he ends up in. It's not surprising that a youngster playing in what looks to be his first full season, should be concerned about being caught up field, out of position. I am sure there would be more worries about him on here if that was the case. He might come forward more if we had a left sided midfield player in front of him, rather than a more orthodox winger. 

On 22/08/2018 at 12:37, Major Isewater said:

one thing that really stands out for me is they way he moves , he is so elegant .

He is like Bobby Moore

I think this is why he looks SO good.

And on his attacking threat... He might not get into positions to shoot like JB but he makes great diagonal crosses from deep and can throw the ball further than Maggers could

On 22/08/2018 at 09:43, italian dave said:

Agree. Simply the best prospect to come through our youth set up in the 50'years I've watched City.

And yes, good switch by LJ last night. I head some grumbles about him tinkering again, but QPR had a bit of pace on both wings, and Pisano may hav e many attributes but pace isn't one of them. Sensible switch and they both had good games. 

Can I agree with you?

Difficult decision. Merrick, Gow, Ritchie, Tainton, Bryan, Doherty, Collier.

I posted elsewhere on here recently that having seen Lloyd and Zak Vyner three years ago, I was convinced by one match that they were both destined for a good career. I'm still sure of that.

Whether Lloyd is going to be the best ever graduate since the war, I just don't know at this stage. If I was pushed, I'd say yes, we'll sell him for shed loads of money and he will play for England.

Just enjoy watching him because we don't know how long he will be here.

12 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

Can I agree with you?

Difficult decision. Merrick, Gow, Ritchie, Tainton, Bryan, Doherty, Collier.

I posted elsewhere on here recently that having seen Lloyd and Zak Vyner three years ago, I was convinced by one match that they were both destined for a good career. I'm still sure of that.

Whether Lloyd is going to be the best ever graduate since the war, I just don't know at this stage. If I was pushed, I'd say yes, we'll sell him for shed loads of money and he will play for England.

Just enjoy watching him because we don't know how long he will be here.

Gary Collier indeed, the one Lloyd most reminds me of, and the best centre half we have produced in my decades following City imo.

Rolls Royce players both of them.

On 22/08/2018 at 10:52, JoeAman08 said:

Idk what LJ wants but our central midfield do not cover well enough for us to have two attacking FBs. Hunt and Kelly may be our best bet to a more balanced side who’s problem has been conceding too many goals. Clean sheet last night and I know QPR were poor but we needed that last night at LK was a good contributor to that. 

Your comment is exactly what I've been criticising to those around me in S22.

The two centre halves are too far apart and the full backs are too far forward. Having Kelly at left back with his understandable reluctance being the new kid in the team, to go bombing forward, gives us a three man back line and could/should make us less vulnerable to breakaway attacks.

Seems too obvious a solution to me, but what the hell do I know. Haven't kicked a football in anger for over fifty years and no coaching badges either.

On 22/08/2018 at 12:22, MichaelRobartes said:

Agree with this. I think there are too many full backs that play as auxiliary wingers these days and many aren't too clever defensively. I see his long term future being at centre half anyway but I'm all for full backs that can defend.

Agree he will end up as a centre half.

Full backs at the very top level have to be able to attack as well as, if not better than, they defend. The modern full back is now probably an attacking position more than a defensive one. Hence why JB has got his move.

Not sure LK will ever get that in his game as he looks much more like a pure defender so centre half will be where he ends up permanently. 

And I think he might just end up being a bloody brilliant one.

Lots of really sensible commentary here, suggesting that we all think we’ve got a gem, but just trying to not go OTT about him.

I thought he looked cool and composed v Brislington in the community game at the start of 15/16...3 years ago.  He was one non-1st teamer in that first half team, and went on the summer training camp too....at 16.  At LCB that day he gave as Good a performance as his h-t replacement Derrick Williams.

10 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Lots of really sensible commentary here, suggesting that we all think we’ve got a gem, but just trying to not go OTT about him.

I thought he looked cool and composed v Brislington in the community game at the start of 15/16...3 years ago.  He was one non-1st teamer in that first half team, and went on the summer training camp too....at 16.  At LCB that day he gave as Good a performance as his h-t replacement Derrick Williams.

That pre season at Taunton for under 23 is when I first saw him.

On 22/08/2018 at 08:51, hoxton casual said:

Wonderful defender,. Sorry to go against the grain however, but  his failure to get forward sometimes put us  under pressure. He looked like he had a nose bleed when he passed the half way line.  This is a real shame, and he has pace to burn and a wonderful left foot. If he plays regularly in a team playing well, hopefully that confidence comes. From what I say of Da Silva he was a massive threat going forward. Only saw Da Silva him for 15 minutes and Mboro were sitting back, so I dont know whether he can also defend. Also DaSilva is very small and Kelly's height really helps at times.

I think he’s been told to pass the ball and get back, avoiding the errors JB often created by ambling back, but I see more in him, he identifies spaces so well he will progress to a more attacking style with experience and probably will end up playing more like a conventional winger

14 hours ago, cidered abroad said:

Your comment is exactly what I've been criticising to those around me in S22.

The two centre halves are too far apart and the full backs are too far forward. Having Kelly at left back with his understandable reluctance being the new kid in the team, to go bombing forward, gives us a three man back line and could/should make us less vulnerable to breakaway attacks.

Seems too obvious a solution to me, but what the hell do I know. Haven't kicked a football in anger for over fifty years and no coaching badges either.

Some of this is not aimed at your good self... I err have coaching badges, its not all that, but for over a decade full backs being played far forward is a norm. Midfielders have got deeper to cover them.  The holding midfielders role has broadened to cover the full backs evolving role i.e.  playing the full length of the pitch. People have an idea of full backs being auxiliary wingers, they are not and neither are what people perceive are wingers, it is in many systems a total waste of a player being confined to you hug line, beat player, cross ball … 

Players are expected to be universal. In every walk of life humans do far more than they used, Humans run faster, jump higher, think faster. Fifty years ago athletes in some disciplines were running the times of todays youths. Football is no different. Players run faster, further, have more skill and do more (tackling is an exception). 

The more I learn as I coach the more I realise and have it emphasised to myself is that players cannot now for many teams, and in future be just defenders. Being good in a 1v1 situation, v a cross is not enough when a teams game plan, its short term future but in some cases the clubs philosophy for its long term approach requires much much more.

Archived