IGNORED

Nimrod Elgar

Barry Sheene

As with the majority of classical music, i recognised it only by ear. That said, i did think it was a cover of a particular track by The Verve to start with.

I'm no expert but i did like the soundtrack to the 80s movie Excalibur.

I reckon it's popularity is partly linked with the Service of Remembrance. Good piece unquestionably, but for my money there are plenty of candidates to choose from. Maybe some Beethoven (Seventh Symphony, perhaps), Holst's Planets, or maybe some Mozart? For my money (and I don't have much!) it will be J.S. Bach's Toccata and Fugue in D minor. :violin:

And it will surprise many non-classicists that they know far more pieces than they realise - even if it's only TV ads!

• Admin
15 hours ago, Barry Sheene said:

Nimrod composed by Edward Elgar. 

Is there a finer piece of classical music out there?

Oddly I never really noticed the tune until the opening ceremony of the 2012 Olympics, and the tune REALLY had an emotional affect on me.

I guess more so with the connection that @Erithacus mentions above - went out and bought the opening ceremony soundtrack as a result and still listen to it now

21 hours ago, Barry Sheene said:

Nimrod composed by Edward Elgar. 

Is there a finer piece of classical music out there?

Spot on.

I am no fan of classical music; but this piece is out on it's own, I.M.O. Just superb.

As Phantom said above, it does seem to have huge emotional effect upon some people when played.

Played at the end of last year's "Dunkirk" film, and has me welling up every time I see the ending sequence.

8 hours ago, Juan Kerr said:

Holst`s Planets Suite. I used to live up the road from his birthplace.

Ah, a Cheltenhamonian!

As an aside, there is a Long Distance Footpath in Holst's honour - it goes from Cranham in Gloucestershire, through Chelts, and on to Wyck Rissington. I know, because I've travelled on about a half mile of it.   :cool:

4 hours ago, Erithacus said:

Ah, a Cheltenhamonian!

As an aside, there is a Long Distance Footpath in Holst's honour - it goes from Cranham in Gloucestershire, through Chelts, and on to Wyck Rissington. I know, because I've travelled on about a half mile of it.   :cool:

I was born in Cheltenham, but grew up in its raggedy arsed neighbour.

On 24/08/2018 at 11:13, Undy English said:

A beautiful piece, but it's no "I Vow To Thee My Country". 

And "I vow to thee my country" is no " I vow to thee my country"...............it's part of Jupiter from Holst's Planets .

Ironically.....Holst was not at all happy having words put to it."Jingoistic rubbish" was his feelings towards it  !

On 23/08/2018 at 16:52, The Gasbuster said:

Spot on.

I am no fan of classical music; but this piece is out on it's own, I.M.O. Just superb.

As Phantom said above, it does seem to have huge emotional effect upon some people when played.

Played at the end of last year's "Dunkirk" film, and has me welling up every time I see the ending sequence.

I was welling up that I'd wasted ten quid on watching that pile of turd

There is a lot of classical stuff that I`m partial to on occasion. Holst`s Planets is great and, although not very PC these days, a bit of Wagner. Fingal`s Cave is probably my current favourite piece although that changes all the time - I used to love The Four Seasons but now I just associate it with Nigel Kennedy which ruins it for me!

On ‎27‎/‎08‎/‎2018 at 18:55, Red Right Hand said:

There is a lot of classical stuff that I`m partial to on occasion. Holst`s Planets is great and, although not very PC these days, a bit of Wagner. Fingal`s Cave is probably my current favourite piece although that changes all the time - I used to love The Four Seasons but now I just associate it with Nigel Kennedy which ruins it for me!

I tend to associate it with hanging around on the phone waiting for someone to pick up.

For me:

Symphony:  Mahler no. 5

English : Vaughan Williams, Lark Ascending

Chamber: Mozart, the final six 'Haydn' quartets

Piano: Ravel, le Tombeau de Couperin, dedicated to seven friends that fell in the Great War.

On 04/09/2018 at 22:42, marshy said:

I tend to associate it with hanging around on the phone waiting for someone to pick up.

For me:

Piano: Ravel, le Tombeau de Couperin, dedicated to seven friends that fell in the Great War.

The Lark Ascending, glorious. RVW born near Swindon, too (but in Gloucestershire).

Elgar's Cello Concerto is "right up there," too.

Beethoven's 6th Symphony, "Pastoral," works for me after a home defeat. A home defeat + Pachelbel's Cannon in D (or, say, Samuel Barber's funereal adagio for strings), not recommended. Better off trying some Morrisey. 

On 04/09/2018 at 22:42, marshy said:

For me:

:clap: well done that man! Don't know anyone else who knows it !  Brilliant piece of music, slightly quirky ass a lot of Ravel''''s .

Archived