IGNORED

Bakinson

bs22 red

13 hours ago, jimmyb said:

Because bossing it in league 2 is a little bit different to the Championship.

He’s barely played a handful of senior games and needs the experience.

It’s the pathway.....

He goes there, does well, he goes to league 1, does well and then he comes back to replace whatever player we’ve sold that summer.

we have bought Mo Eisa, last season league two, admittedly he hasn't played much yet but players can step up, we will have to wait and see after a full season with them. whether Bakinson can do the same.

10 hours ago, pillred said:

we have bought Mo Eisa, last season league two, admittedly he hasn't played much yet but players can step up, we will have to wait and see after a full season with them. whether Bakinson can do the same.

Absolutely right. If he tears it up all season down there and is the best player in the league then I’m sure he’ll come back with an eye on the first team squad.

Interestingly given the posts about some off field issues that we have decided to keep him very close indeed at Newport.

The only thing I would say with Mo is that he isn’t on an academy pathway like the others.

He’s on the Jamie Vardy pathway....we’ve just taken a punt that he’s an undiscovered superstar.

9 minutes ago, jimmyb said:

Absolutely right. If he tears it up all season down there and is the best player in the league then I’m sure he’ll come back with an eye on the first team squad.

Interestingly given the posts about some off field issues that we have decided to keep him very close indeed at Newport.

The only thing I would say with Mo is that he isn’t on an academy pathway like the others.

He’s on the Jamie Vardy pathway....we’ve just taken a punt that he’s an undiscovered superstar.

A bit like PNE have been doing successfully for a few years now. They pick up players like Tom Barkhuisen from Morecambe (?) or unknown Irish lads like Sean Maguire and chuck them in at the deep end. It seems to work for them so perhaps we`re watching and learning from them. The odd one doesn`t work out but you have to live with that.

12 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

A bit like PNE have been doing successfully for a few years now. They pick up players like Tom Barkhuisen from Morecambe (?) or unknown Irish lads like Sean Maguire and chuck them in at the deep end. It seems to work for them so perhaps we`re watching and learning from them. The odd one doesn`t work out but you have to live with that.

Yeah a lot of clubs have and it is very hit and miss because you genuinely will have no idea if they can cut it until you chuck them in.

It may have got lost in the noise slightly but the Matty Taylor signing was exactly the same. He didn’t come back into league football until he was 24/25 and only half a season above league 2 so it was just a punt that he might be good enough.

On 26/08/2018 at 14:15, Londoner said:

That he's an arrogant so and so and that his head is far bigger than it should be....something I've heard from those who play with him.

There were similar rumours about Bobby Reid a few years ago. Too big for his boots, thought he'd made it etc.

City paid a lot of money for young Bakinson - self confidence  (thin line between that and 'arrogance') isn't always a bad thing at a young age - perhaps in his case his ability means it is well founded?

17 hours ago, cidered abroad said:

I'm sure that a season of consistent first team results, neither seriously chasing play offs or looking nervously over our shoulders at the bottom, will help those like Morrell, Bakinson, Moore and others, to get some game time in our first team. That, IMO, is how it should be.

The Championship is always too congested to be in mid table obscurity. You’re only ever a short lived run away from playoffs or relegation in this league it seems. 

With young players it surely isn't t only the football ability that matters but the growing maturity too

Loaning out into lower leagues must mean they get their rough edges knocked off as well as playing and learning regularly

As others have said Kelly is different.  His England experience was obviously hugely beneficial to his development.  To sign other young Kellys is surely the club's aim but it is always likely to be rare.  Also what must be born in mind is that some players develop later than others, again not necessarily in terms of football skill but in terms of physicality - after all this is a contact sport

Final thought, to find a young defender like Kelly is most unusual whereas young forwards are far easier to blood. That applies to Prem teams too

3 minutes ago, Ivorguy said:

With young players it surely isn't t only the football ability that matters but the growing maturity too

Loaning out into lower leagues must mean they get their rough edges knocked off as well as playing and learning regularly

As others have said Kelly is different.  His England experience was obviously hugely beneficial to his development.  To sign other young Kellys is surely the club's aim but it is always likely to be rare.  Also what must be born in mind is that some players develop later than others, again not necessarily in terms of football skill but in terms of physicality - after all this is a contact sport

Final thought, to find a young defender like Kelly is most unusual whereas young forwards are far easier to blood. That applies to Prem teams too

We have been blessed over many clubs at our level with bringing forward good young defenders down the years. I know you go back a lot further than me but I started supporting City when we had Merrick, Collier et al and have seen some excellent defenders for us in my time that have either come through the ranks like Louis Carey, Jim Brennan or Joe Bryan or bought cheaply and developed like Bradley Orr or Martin Scott (both 22 when we signed them).

We have had some right duds as well though!

Archived