IGNORED

Refereeing Chaos

BRISTOL86

Farcical. 

Two things to note from that. 

A) VAR should be an active system. There should be a video referee reviewing footage in real time and he should be notifying the referee of ANY mistakes or missed decisions. It should not be reliant on the referee requesting a review.

B) Referees on a first name basis with top players, really? They should be treating every player equally and with some sort of professional distance, in my opinion. 

23 minutes ago, Chris_Brown said:

Farcical. 

A) VAR should be an active system. There should be a video referee reviewing footage in real time and he should be notifying the referee of ANY mistakes or missed decisions. It should not be reliant on the referee requesting a review.

B) Referees on a first name basis with top players, really? They should be treating every player equally and with some sort of professional distance, in my opinion. 

1) It is, isn’t it? In the video it seems as if the Man U players are asking for a video review and Clattenburg is telling them that it’s happening already, ie without him having to request it. 

2) I thought that was odd too at first, but thinking about it, how else should they address them? Mr Pogba is a bit formal and using last name only is weird. Might just be a Clattenburg thing, he is a bit of an oddball. 

16 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

1) It is, isn’t it? In the video it seems as if the Man U players are asking for a video review and Clattenburg is telling them that it’s happening already, ie without him having to request it. 

2) I thought that was odd too at first, but thinking about it, how else should they address them? Mr Pogba is a bit formal and using last name only is weird. Might just be a Clattenburg thing, he is a bit of an oddball. 

1) Inconsistent and only partial application is more my issue - apologies I wasn't totally clear. I think the VAR ref should be calling every incorrect or missed decision every time - if you're gonna enforce the rules using this system you should enforce all the rules, not just the "big" ones. 

2) Again, inconsistency is the problem for me. For example, in City v Man City, would a Premier League ref be referring to our players on a friendly, first name basis? Just call them by number and actually I'd like it if they were a bit more aloof than friendly anyway. I actually think they should be a bit more rugby like in order to foster respect - only the Captain should be permitted to speak to the referee etc. 

2 hours ago, BRISTOL86 said:

It’s Michael Oliver. Clattenburg refs in Saudi Arabia now

2 hours ago, Chris_Brown said:

Farcical. 

Referee’s at any level will call a player by their first name if they know it, it helps, players DO respond with more respect to the referee. The Referee’s job is to adhere to the laws of the game and..........to manage the players in the best way he can, first names help in this respect. 

The abuse and disdain officials face every week is ridiculous. They largely do a great job under intense scrutiny and high pressure, despite what most fans think.

It’s good that the governing bodies are finally giving them the help they need with VAR etc, but it’ll take years for the system to work as well as it could.

Archived