IGNORED

Ghost goal .. you’ve got to see this to believe it

Brann-red

16 minutes ago, Will Rollason said:

no, it was a free kick to us and the linesman was the one who flagged for an offence before the "goal"..... still one of my favourite moments watching football... colins purple face... priceless...

Nope. Watch the video above. After the goal is scored, the linesman can clearly be seen standing with his flag lowered as if nothing has happened.

20 hours ago, Brann-red said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/45409768

goal scored fairly by Partick thistle only to be ruled out and given as a throw in . Some of the most baffling officiating to be seen .. worth the 3 minutes in watching all of it . 

i can see why Colin got so upset when it happpened (allegedly ) at the gate in 2009 ... 

That end of Firhill seems to attract this sort of controversy....way back in the dim and distant Partick were playing Dundee United at home. United scored a perfectly good goal at that same end, the ball hit the back of the net and came back out, a Thistle defender caught the ball and handed it to his keeper who promptly belted it upfield.....and the ref waved play on! No goal or penalty for handball awarded! Bizarre!

It’s all here from 01:12....the slow mo replay shows it clearly in all its glory! This is one of many reasons for the often misunderstood rivalry between The Jags and The Arabs....

31 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

The same linesman who can clearly be seen in the video with his flag lowered in the immediate aftermath of the goal?

Good one.

why the sarcasm?  I was just behind the goal to the left on the day, we were all watching the ball go in and out of the net and the chaos that ensued and as i remember it my mate told me the lino had flagged for something and the ref went to chat to him before disallowing the goal for an"offence"... now if my memory has failed me then fair enough but no need for the "good one"

29 minutes ago, El Hombrecito said:

Nope. Watch the video above. After the goal is scored, the linesman can clearly be seen standing with his flag lowered as if nothing has happened.

fair enough.... i've never seen the vid, and as i remember it my mate told me that the lino had flagged.. which is why the ref went to chat with him ? and seeing as he then disallowed the goal it seemed right that the lino had spotted something

14 hours ago, ChippenhamRed said:

A free kick taken from where a goal kick is taken - how incredibly convenient!

It amazes me that people still try to make this argument. Look at the video. The referee didn’t gesture for an infringement.  He consulted his linesman, who hadn’t raised his flag. The confusion amongst the officials was evident. Play then restarted with a goal kick. It’s entirely obvious beyond reasonable doubt that the officials weren’t certain the ball had crossed the line because it - very usually - bounced back out of the goal - and made a terrible decision based on simply not knowing what had happened.

Linesman is also out of shot when the goal actually goes in, so whether he flagged anything or not cannot be determined by the video.

Once the referee has noticed the linesman flagging there is no need for him to continue to do so, and we only see the linesman once the referee is already walking over to him- which he would have no reason to do if the linesman hadn't flagged.

I'm not saying the linesman did flag, but the video is not evidence to suggest he didn't. If Sears was adjudged to have fouled someone, then he wasn't that far from the edge of the six yard box, and footballers rarely take a free kick from where the incident actually occurred (happens more now we have the foamy stuff for walls, but players still try and steal a few yards when they can.)

I can even remember David James taking a free kick from about 6 yards to the left of a foul, causing uproar in the away end (directly behind him) even though by moving to his left he was moving to a less central position- he took the free kick from 5 yards in front of the corner flag, and maybe 1 or 2 yards infield.

TL;DR- The video is low resolution and actually inconclusive as to whether anything had been flagged, but whether or not anything had been given it was a poor decision.

1 hour ago, JamesBCFC said:

Linesman is also out of shot when the goal actually goes in, so whether he flagged anything or not cannot be determined by the video.

Once the referee has noticed the linesman flagging there is no need for him to continue to do so, and we only see the linesman once the referee is already walking over to him- which he would have no reason to do if the linesman hadn't flagged.

I'm not saying the linesman did flag, but the video is not evidence to suggest he didn't. If Sears was adjudged to have fouled someone, then he wasn't that far from the edge of the six yard box, and footballers rarely take a free kick from where the incident actually occurred (happens more now we have the foamy stuff for walls, but players still try and steal a few yards when they can.)

I can even remember David James taking a free kick from about 6 yards to the left of a foul, causing uproar in the away end (directly behind him) even though by moving to his left he was moving to a less central position- he took the free kick from 5 yards in front of the corner flag, and maybe 1 or 2 yards infield.

TL;DR- The video is low resolution and actually inconclusive as to whether anything had been flagged, but whether or not anything had been given it was a poor decision.

If you look very carefully there is a very brief second immediately after the goal when the linesman can be seen stood next to the corner flag with his flag down by his side.

He would have kept it raised long enough for everyone to understand what had occurred - rather than the mass confusion on the pitch and in the stands that followed. That’s why this incident became so notorious, rather than just another disallowed goal.

It’s also fanciful to suggest a linesman would flag for an infringement occurring on the other side of the pitch, that wasn’t obvious, and that he couldn’t possibly have any conviction about, when the referee was so much closer.

All the evidence points to confusion, failure to spot the goal and a catastrophic refereeing error.

15 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

That end of Firhill seems to attract this sort of controversy....way back in the dim and distant Partick were playing Dundee United at home. United scored a perfectly good goal at that same end, the ball hit the back of the net and came back out, a Thistle defender caught the ball and handed it to his keeper who promptly belted it upfield.....and the ref waved play on! No goal or penalty for handball awarded! Bizarre!

It’s all here from 01:12....the slow mo replay shows it clearly in all its glory! This is one of many reasons for the often misunderstood rivalry between The Jags and The Arabs....

Fantastic blown away comb-over at 1:50.

Archived