IGNORED

Downsy - Dabbing

BessexRED

Oh and just to point out, my 2 nephews were in the “guard of honour” honour on Sunday, so I was keeping a specifically close eye on them, trying to catch any good photos or videos I could, for my sister. 

At no point did I see them all Dabbing, so unless I missed it somehow, I don’t think this even happened. 

3 hours ago, Badger08 said:

Jesus. A 3 page thread on kids dabbing!! REALLY? Literally* like walking into the studio of loose women on  this forum sometimes. 3rd world problems.... 

Imagine how furious the Syrian kids will be when they hear this sick news!!  

*Figuratively.

Thank goodness you're here to add sufficient gravitas to the forum eh.

18 hours ago, Newquay-Red said:

I like explaining trends on here. It isn't exactly a secret that the typical age of a user of this forum is in the grey zone, and it can be an irritating feeling being out of the loop and not knowing what people (such as the 'yoofs') are on about. I try to tell people in reasonable detail what on earth these things are as it can be helpful for some. Obviously some like to pick it apart but it's up to them; I don't expect them to suddenly love it just because I've explained it.

Plus I was on one boring ass train from Paddington to Truro yesterday so it was a nice way of killing the time.

Yet in a following post you say you're 21, so in reality you're almost as near to approaching the 'grey zone' yourself as you are close in age to these primary school 'dabbers'.

I suspect there's a whole generation below you who already think of you as not only 'old', but laugh at you as an out of touch fuddy duddy.

I trust you only 'know the trends' because your young nephew has explained them to you as, frankly, you're far too old now to be following them yourself.

21 is not 'yoof' and you'll be joining us in the 'grey zone' before you know it - if you're lucky and it doesn't all fall out first, that is. :yes:

15 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Yet in a following post you say you're 21, so in reality you're almost as near to approaching the 'grey zone' yourself as you are close in age to these primary school 'dabbers'.

I suspect there's a whole generation below you who already think of you as not only 'old', but laugh at you as an out of touch fuddy duddy.

I trust you only 'know the trends' because your young nephew has explained them to you as, frankly, you're far too old now to be following them yourself.

21 is not 'yoof' and you'll be joining us in the 'grey zone' before you know it - if you're lucky and it doesn't all fall out first, that is. :yes:

IMG_0672.JPG

2 minutes ago, Newquay-Red said:

IMG_0672.JPG

No probs., always like to keep the not so young trendies up to date with the real world, however grey it is - now you can go back to frantically checking the mirror for that dreaded first grey hair. ? ;)

6 hours ago, Badger08 said:

Jesus. A 3 page thread on kids dabbing!! REALLY? Literally like walking into the studio of loose women on  this forum sometimes. 3rd world problems.... 

Imagine how furious the Syrian kids will be when they hear this sick news!!  

Bizarre entry to the thread, nothing to do with anything and certainly no correlation to the subject in hand.

On 06/09/2018 at 18:14, cidered abroad said:

At Bristol rugby games he asks the fans before the game in each stand to cheer.

It's a very contrived thing that's been done at Bris rugby for some years. It's artificial and unsuited to a football crowd.

Last Friday versus Barff, he made numerous requests during stoppages in play for the fans in S21 to wave to the tv camera by the touch in goal line. Totally contrived.

As for the rest of his act, I still cannot hear most of what is said over the wonderful Ashton Gate public address. SL built a very good stadium with cheap PA. 

Errr, he absolutely didn’t because Richard ‘Slick’ Pitt is the stadium announcer at the Rugby games and has been for 16 years!!

I have met Downsy many times at quiz nights etc in Portishead and he is amiable enough, although it may not come across on our PA system, he is very adept with the microphone and he was particularly good at our "Soap Box racing" here.  When my wife got me hospitality for my birthday last season, he came rushing up to us and welcomed us personally as he recognised our faces, which I thought was a nice touch and he went on to read my name out in the birthday list at half time, the first time in 50 years, so I am a little biased.

I do think this thread may be reflects the age group of the people who post here. Whether it is "dabbing", games, music played, generally that stuff isn't aimed at us, it would be more interesting to hear what the 5 -14 year olds think of him and all those antics. I am sure there were many dissenting voices amongst our sort of age group when the club stopped playing "A Walk in the Black Forest" and "Red Red Robin" back in the 70's, we aren't there for this stuff, but that doesn't mean there isn't a younger group who enjoy the whole package.

If it keeps them interested and wanting to come back then great. 

On 10/09/2018 at 23:14, willadams said:

Errr, he absolutely didn’t because Richard ‘Slick’ Pitt is the stadium announcer at the Rugby games and has been for 16 years!!

RIchard does the actual game still but downsy does the pre-match thing on the big screen. Some of this stuff is also shared on social media. Comes across as a mix between a baseball cap wearing Alan Partridge and a middle aged school teacher trying to be 'down with the kids'.

i am sure he is a nice guy but it just doesn't work for me at the rugby or the footie.

3 hours ago, JBFC II said:

Must be one of the worst ‘games’ around. 

The kids literally can’t get it wrong because he won’t let them, what’s the point?

What's the point of letting them get out on the pitch and win a shirt in front of crowds of their fellow City fans? Let them have their couple of minutes of fun for goodness sakes.

On 06/09/2018 at 15:25, Fat Cigar said:

Had to look up what the hell dabbing is.

I just wish he wouldn't shout so much. Does my head in. In fact (old man comment coming up...), why can't we have some decent music playing before the game and at half time and ditch all the irritating chatter?

We don't need to be prepped or psyched up before a game by the faux-enthusiasm. This is not commercial radio where everyone's pretending to be happy and is contractually bound to love everything and everyone. 

Let things happen organically. 

Miserable git post ends.

Must be some sort of regulation, because can't think of any other reason why in most instances we need music pre-game.

Now I obviously make an exception for the "CHeer up Holloway" song just before kickoff, but that's about it.

We used to have goal music I recall, unsure when we got rid but happy we did- can't we do it with most pre-game music at minimum?

• Admin
23 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Must be some sort of regulation, because can't think of any other reason why in most instances we need music pre-game.

Now I obviously make an exception for the "CHeer up Holloway" song just before kickoff, but that's about it.

Before the Bristol - Bath game the club gave three choices for the style of music to be played in the pre-match build up to cut out so much yabbering

Archived