IGNORED

Something smells

cheese

54 minutes ago, EnderMB said:

Absolutely, although I can't see what legal avenue FIFA or UEFA could take to stop one person from owning two clubs that (in theory) aren't competitors. It's not all that different from Man City owning New York City FC, and using it to give academy products a quick visa into America and game time in a competitive league.

You're right probably, unsure how it can be prevented under the current rules.

Makes a bit of a mockery though.

17 hours ago, screech said:

Love what's happening in the Championship at the moment. Unfortunately for Boro, Forest, Villa and Derby who have all spent big, at least one of them is going to miss out on getting promotion. The financial mess left behind for the one(s) that fail could be felt for many years afterwards.

They all might miss out, after all the team that was 2nd at Christmas last year crashed and burned.  :fear: Long way to go yet.

23 hours ago, BessexRED said:

Watford have done similar before. Leicester's owners did the same with prizing George Hirst away from Wednesday did they not @Owl Visiting? I'd put good money on him being at Leicester next year, he's currently at a Belgian club I think. 

Yeah similar, although with that one it was/is to get around paying compensation to us. As the compensation rule for young players doesn't apply to foreign clubs. He will simply play for the Belgian club for a season or two before Leicester buy him. 

Fifa really need to step in and make it against the rules for anyone to have a financial interest in more than 1 club, and clubs owning other clubs is laughable.

3 hours ago, Owl Visiting said:

Yeah similar, although with that one it was/is to get around paying compensation to us. As the compensation rule for young players doesn't apply to foreign clubs. He will simply play for the Belgian club for a season or two before Leicester buy him. 

Fifa really need to step in and make it against the rules for anyone to have a financial interest in more than 1 club, and clubs owning other clubs is laughable.

Unless on the rare occasion it`s done for the right reasons. I have no problem with a French club for instance owning a club in, say, Cameroon and financing it where it is really the only way that club would survive and in return cherry picking any stars that they unearth. The only problem with that is it makes the league in that country not competitive with haves and have nots.

Don`t Barcelona own one or more clubs like this or have I got that wrong?

10 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

Unless on the rare occasion it`s done for the right reasons. I have no problem with a French club for instance owning a club in, say, Cameroon and financing it where it is really the only way that club would survive and in return cherry picking any stars that they unearth. The only problem with that is it makes the league in that country not competitive with haves and have nots.

Don`t Barcelona own one or more clubs like this or have I got that wrong?

Yeah, when it's on different continents it's not as bad I suppose, owning two in potentially competing European leagues doesn't seem right though.

Not sure if the rules have changed because I seem to remember it didn't used to be allowed. I'm sure I can remember an old story about Abramovich having to sell a club in Russia after Fifa ruled that he had a financial interest. 

Remember when Manchester United tried to buy Oldham? It was probably Paul Scholes' idea. 

Archived