IGNORED

Marvin Sordell - Poetry and Depression

underhanded

Interesting interview with Marvin Sordell below:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/sep/10/marvin-sordell-interview-dead-inside-emotions-depression

He's always been one of those players who has confused me a little - seemingly never struggled to find a club yet never seemed to impress on the pitch. Must be valued by managers and scouts. I also remember hearing a few years back he had been treated for social media addiction. Seems to be a fairly interesting character that doesn't fit into your typical footballer mold. 

Thanks for posting.

Sadly, still a brave thing to come out and talk about.  

Must be tough uprooting from your network of family and friends to sign for a new club or go on loan.  Particularly the latter, where you properly have little choice in the matter.

Wish him well.

“Football’s as ruthless now as it was then. The rewards are high, but so are the risks. A lot of people may not understand because they see the money top players make. But it’s harsh and every move is a risk. I found it difficult when I was younger because you can’t easily be yourself in football. We have no freedom of identity. I’ve always been Marvin Sordell, the footballer. Your whole life is contained and dictated by football. It’s not healthy.”

The game is so distorted by the money at the top that we have lost our understanding of what some players (particularly the young ones) are put through.

As supporters we need to cut these young players some slack.  It's tough uprooting yourself from an environment you know to live and play in a city that you might have not even visited before.  The risk for overseas players is probably even greater.  We're seeing some great performances from Eliasson this season (22 years old) but many were prepared to write him off last year.  Does anyone know whether he felt settled?

This will be an unpopular view but I couldn't get my head around the venom that was directed at Zac Clough (and his Dad) when the player turned us down a few years ago.  I know there were things said on Twitter but maybe his Dad was just looking out for him?  Perhaps he knew that his son wouldn't cope with living 180 miles from friends and family.  He was 21 at the time.  At that age, I was regularly giving myself food-poisoning because I had never learnt to cook properly before I left home.

I hope the club supports all our players properly.  We will only see the best from our loans and transfers if they are supported.  And equally, I hope the players that we send out on loan are afforded the same consideration.

5 hours ago, Xiled said:

I hope the club supports all our players properly.  We will only see the best from our loans and transfers if they are supported.  And equally, I hope the players that we send out on loan are afforded the same consideration

If the stories of Caulker's time with us are true then we didn't in the past.  I hope we have improved.

The investment made in players in terms of signing on fee and and wages it would seem ridiculous not to look out for their overall well-being and ensure they are happy off the field.  

Archived