IGNORED

Subs today

Super

1 minute ago, RedSkin said:

Yes, thought so too.  Not classic entertainment but more of a chess game.  Enjoyable for difference reasons.  

I enjoyed it 

Thought some of the one to one battles were fascinating

Thought Sheff Utd played some really simple but beautiful pass and move football first half

Hate the ‘fine margins’ cliche but today if ever a match exemplified that phrase ......

It’s been said in this thread and elsewhere, but today was definitely one for the tactical geeks and I for one loved it and thought LJ got it pretty much spot on for the full ninety.

It was brave to start with what was effectively a 3-4-3 but it went like for like with them and they couldn’t have been expecting it. Let’s have it right, they are a decent side and know this this system. We don’t and whilst we didn’t look THAT uncomfortable, I felt we couldn’t stamp our own style onto the game. Marlon was having to come deep which meant having no option for a forward pass and without the redundancy of an extra body behind him, I thought it was risky. The front three were constantly rotating and Eliasson was often the furthest man forward.

We looked much better on the hour once the subs came and they looked like they’d punched themselves out. 

Very impressive and still room for improvement. As a side note, Kalas is way too good for this division and we are very lucky to have him. Enjoy watching him this season people, we don’t get players of his ilk here very often.

8 minutes ago, WesM said:

It’s been said in this thread and elsewhere, but today was definitely one for the tactical geeks and I for one loved it and thought LJ got it pretty much spot on for the full ninety.

It was brave to start with what was effectively a 3-4-3 but it went like for like with them and they couldn’t have been expecting it. Let’s have it right, they are a decent side and know this this system. We don’t and whilst we didn’t look THAT uncomfortable, I felt we couldn’t stamp our own style onto the game. Marlon was having to come deep which meant having no option for a forward pass and without the redundancy of an extra body behind him, I thought it was risky. The front three were constantly rotating and Eliasson was often the furthest man forward.

We looked much better on the hour once the subs came and they looked like they’d punched themselves out. 

Very impressive and still room for improvement. As a side note, Kalas is way too good for this division and we are very lucky to have him. Enjoy watching him this season people, we don’t get players of his ilk here very often.

Good post Wes and good points

As you say it was almost a 3-4-3 (I suggested 3-4-1-2 but 3-4-3 is prob more accurate)

Was Just surprised that he picked De Silva over COD or MW who would have given us a bit more physicality that side and in the four 

* He won’t get many mentions but I thought Weimann worked ran his absolute b********s off again , and still managed a couple of flashes of real class 

1 minute ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Was Just surprised that he picked De Silva over COD or MW who would have given us a bit more physicality that side and in the four 

I imagine Dasilva being an out and out left back swung it for him as he’d bring more to the table defensively. (Defo not in physicality, he’s the smallest pro i think I’ve ever seen!)

1 minute ago, WesM said:

I imagine Dasilva being an out and out left back swung it for him as he’d bring more to the table defensively. (Defo not in physicality, he’s the smallest pro i think I’ve ever seen!)

Decent technically but I can’t see him making it in the prem - he is tiny

Will have to be one hell of a player at that size 

Good enough to be on Chelsea’s books which says enough I guess

Not sure how much Game time he’s going to get though

5 hours ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Agreed 

All 3 made an impact

Vastly helped by Sheff United taking Duffy off ,possibly best player for large parts

Bizarre

Wasn’t there today.  Surprised he matched up their 352 or 3412 or 343 variant, but having seen his post-match interview it seems well planned.

Is there an argument, that he matched up to stifle them and then go for the win later in the game.  For me it was a game to not lose the first goal.

Looking forward to seeing any highlights.

26 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Wasn’t there today.  Surprised he matched up their 352 or 3412 or 343 variant, but having seen his post-match interview it seems well planned.

Is there an argument, that he matched up to stifle them and then go for the win later in the game.  For me it was a game to not lose the first goal.

Looking forward to seeing any highlights.

That appears to have been the plan Dave - Hold them tight and our strong /bench to win the game

We were fortunate not to be behind at half time otherwise it worked to a tee

Interesting reading the Sheff Utd forum - it seems common that Duffy doesn’t last 90 mins.He was their catalyst again and I assume that if Duffy blows out later in *ame LJ was well aware of this and believed we could boss them late on - which we did

Was a fascinating tactical battle Dave - you would have enjoyed it

I bet Lee was happier with a very narrow 1-0 today than he was with the performance / result against Blackburn

Archived