IGNORED

Quiet on the forum after a win

Murraysrightplum

I am still a little weary of these types of threads, since LJ has been in charge we tend to have spells of feast or famine. We should be used to it by now.

The run after Christmas last season was dreadful, I am just hoping we can have a more consistent season, I am not one to jump on either bandwagon, just enjoying a much better start to the season than I expected.

I wrote a wipe the slate clean thread over the summer. 

I never wanted him to fail, but thought he’d run his course in that Preston away drubbing.  Since then it’s mainly averaged out as positive.

Since my thread in the summer, I think I’ve only been critical once....Boro, when he played MW as the no9.

Hes doing a good job.  The summer has finally allowed him to shop in the Championship, and I think that has helped him recruit for the way he wants to play NOW not in a years time.

I really hope he continues in this vain.

4 hours ago, hail gus cesaer said:

There are quite a few posters on here who only post when we are losing and some a couple weeks ago claiming we were going to relegated because we lost to Middlesbrough! 

Ffs if you want to be miserable and support a team surely the gas is the sensible option!

They Didn't see the Kalas signing coming & they would of been right.  

9 minutes ago, pnefcok said:

Whilst we've finished above you every season since we both went up, always been a bit envious of your ability to find/develop a good striker every season, even if it's for big money. Has Weimann been as good as his goal record so far suggests?

Think we found our defence now good luck. 

18 minutes ago, pnefcok said:

Whilst we've finished above you every season since we both went up, always been a bit envious of your ability to find/develop a good striker every season, even if it's for big money. Has Weimann been as good as his goal record so far suggests?

Has been a class act for lots of reasons more than his goals pnefok

Appears consummate pro , think he outworks Bobby Reid and that takes some doing

Talks to others , encouraging , guiding

Unselfish , never stops running

Shows his class at various points 

and as you say has scored a few......

Other than that he’s been rubbish !!!!

Personally - can’t praise him enough - could have come here on a semi cruise but works harder and longer than anyone else

Just what you want from a signing like him 

9 minutes ago, pnefcok said:

I've only managed one match this season, a sub par performance against Plymouth, but when he came on as a sub he looked a league above any other player on the pitch- his movement was incredible.

He isnt making the chances for himself with skill, but getting into the right positions like Bobby Reid last season and Tammy Abraham the season before.

I think there's a genuine case to be made that the way we play is the major factor, rather than the player.

Of course the player still needs the right attributes- movement, reading of the game and finishing.

51 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

So you really are claiming that one player is entirely responsible for the turnaround and we would be in the relegation zone without him.

In terms of improving our defence immeasurably? Yes the Kalas effect cannot be denied. He has given strength, guile and experience of success at this level to our central defence. He is a Czech international, which is a cut above anything that we have had in that position for many many years.

And winning games has again brought confidence, that has a spiralling effect, which has brought out the best in many of our attacking and midfield players. 

We now face a real challenge with 2 away games in the next 6 days. Navigate those successfully and we can really push for the automatic places, which considering the abject 1st half against Middlesbrough is amazing. 

The real test is whether we can maintain some level of consistency, and avoid the boom or bust cycles that have figured throughout LJ's managerial career thus far.

6 hours ago, Dr Balls said:

In terms of improving our defence immeasurably? Yes the Kalas effect cannot be denied. He has given strength, guile and experience of success at this level to our central defence. He is a Czech international, which is a cut above anything that we have had in that position for many many years.

And winning games has again brought confidence, that has a spiralling effect, which has brought out the best in many of our attacking and midfield players. 

We now face a real challenge with 2 away games in the next 6 days. Navigate those successfully and we can really push for the automatic places, which considering the abject 1st half against Middlesbrough is amazing. 

The real test is whether we can maintain some level of consistency, and avoid the boom or bust cycles that have figured throughout LJ's managerial career thus far.

That can't happen or some posters will have to find a new hobby!

Is the problem perhaps we haven’t had a ‘average’ period under LJ? Last three seasons we’ve had great starts so the forum remains happy. Will this season go the way of previous or might we win a few draw a few lose a few.. who knows 

7 hours ago, pnefcok said:

Weimann is quality. He appears to think ahead of the game with his runs off the ball. Whether he becomes our twenty a season man, remains to be seen.

As for the OP. It's British human nature to complain louder and quicker when unhappy than to praise when satisfied. I'm certainly like that but as a City fan for a bloody long time, I've seen much more mediocrity and abject bad games than flowing, enjoyable, winning football.

The last two years have been boom followed by bust. Added last year with the worst number of serious injuries I've ever known at City. We got through that but didn't have the squad depth to cope with the second half if the season.

I believe we've recruited well to counter balance the six who left. Our younger members of the squad are a year more experienced. Three clean sheets out of seven games is an improvement so far. And the goals are being shared around the squad so we aren't reliant on one player only.

Individually, Kelly is showing remarkable consistency in his first season. Eliasson has grown up. Watkins has grabbed two important goals. A good squad player for a million £. Brownhill in central midfield has helped Pack to do what he is good at, rather than the previous "jack of trades yet master if none". 

I could add to that but will finish by saying that it's not free flowing, exciting football yet. Actually a touch boring, but we are grinding out the wins so well done LJ and the players. For now, let's enjoy the wins and I think we might upset the Baggies on Tuesday.

8 hours ago, pnefcok said:

Interesting comment, even if it’s for big money.

The only one who cost money was Fammy for £5m. 

Says a lot about both our clubs if £5m is big money. It certainly isn’t for the top end of the championship these days.

18 minutes ago, Robert the bruce said:

Interesting to read a very well balanced match report on Blades 'chat and the writer's view that we looked 'an inferior side to the one they played last season......described our win as "smash 'n grab"..about right I'd say.

When we win "those" City fans obviously post on the opponents forums instead of OTIB - this from the Blades site.
Oh and Johnson was shite.

12 hours ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Has been a class act for lots of reasons more than his goals pnefok

Appears consummate pro , think he outworks Bobby Reid and that takes some doing

Talks to others , encouraging , guiding

Unselfish , never stops running

Shows his class at various points 

and as you say has scored a few......

Other than that he’s been rubbish !!!!

Personally - can’t praise him enough - could have come here on a semi cruise but works harder and longer than anyone else

Just what you want from a signing like him 

Agree with everything about the work rate...I can’t remember a striker for us working so hard.

as for the semi-cruise bit yeah could have but can’t help think that at 26 he still has a point to prove...his career has been on the slide for 3 or 4 years now and let’s be honest while he stayed in the championship a move to us is probably seen by most as a downturn from derby. However this is probably the last chance to resurrect a faltering career and work his way back up to a big club in a big league and he is taking it wonderfully.

astute signing which for me I didn’t get overly excited about for the reasons I mention above as thought he was on the slide and it was a bit unambitious given the money we got for bob.

2 hours ago, MC RISK77 said:

Agree with everything about the work rate...I can’t remember a striker for us working so hard.

as for the semi-cruise bit yeah could have but can’t help think that at 26 he still has a point to prove...his career has been on the slide for 3 or 4 years now and let’s be honest while he stayed in the championship a move to us is probably seen by most as a downturn from derby. However this is probably the last chance to resurrect a faltering career and work his way back up to a big club in a big league and he is taking it wonderfully.

astute signing which for me I didn’t get overly excited about for the reasons I mention above as thought he was on the slide and it was a bit unambitious given the money we got for bob.

I thought he was a sensible replacement for Bobby Reid and knew he’d give us workrate and pace but he’s still impressed me more than I hoped and his movement and some of his first touches and first time passing is class at times 

You can see why he played at top level for a spell

59 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

I thought he was a sensible replacement for Bobby Reid and knew he’d give us workrate and pace but he’s still impressed me more than I hoped and his movement and some of his first touches and first time passing is class at times 

You can see why he played at top level for a spell

Your initial post was spot on Bob.

For me this signing sounded very sensible in the summer when I thought he might play wide-forward in a 433.  Upon his signing he stated the manager wanted to play him down the middle.  For me that was good to hear, as I hoped he could recreate a similar partnership with Diedhiou as he did with Benteke.  His goal ratio as a striker was decent...in the top flight too!

I never expected him to be the main scorer with Diedhiou though, but in the big man’s absence he took ownership for that task with aplomb.

I really didn’t get the pessimism greeted on here when he signed.  You don’t play 100 games in the Prem, and I do wonder what players some fans really expect us to sign.  Many seemed much more excited by Eisa than Weimann.

Archived