IGNORED

Kevin Beattie

BanburyRed

1 minute ago, BanburyRed said:

RIP to a fine fine defender, 64, suspected heart attack. Condolences to Ipswich Town football club, fans and family.

That is far too young to go. I loved him as a player, Ipswich had some real world class talent back then. He was one of those players with tremendous skill but didn`t mind mixing it too.

Very sad news.

Great player , his career effectively ended at 28 due to injuries.

His back story is a marked contrast to today's multi millionaire Premier League players.  When he retired at 28 he was earning £250 a week (before tax!),  When he moved back to Ipswich him and his disabled wife (she had MS) lived in a council bungalow and he was a carer for her, they lived off benefits but he started doing the match summaries for Radio Suffolk and was paid £45 for a Saturday game and £75 for a midweek match. He didn't think to declare it to the benefit agency and ended up being prosecuted and was electronically tagged for 3 months as well as the fine.

RIP

Sad news, one of the best English defenders in my time (which is a long time) but had rotten luck with injuries. He could play a bit too and would have suited the modern game.

Most recently, he was effusive in his praise of Webster, comparing him to John Stones and tipping him for the PL.

Very sad. I've been trying to track down a copy of his self-published autobiography for ages (not many were printed, limited release in East Anglia and it's not the biography that is still available.) Heard him discussing it shortly after it had been published (and sold out) and it was one of the funniest and most humble interviews ever. His anecdote about how he became one of the first players to appoint an agent to manage his commercial affairs (here we're talking small fry compared to today,) only to discover at their second meeting, one with a potential big sponsor, that his agent turned up wearing a frock having neglected to tell Kevin he was an active transexual undergoing gender reassignment had me in hysterics ( and, yes, he stood by him and they became lifelong friends.)

Top player.

Archived