IGNORED

So was it a penalty?

2 minutes ago, Red Army 87 said:

Pretty sure there was a covering defender, so yellow was right.

He deserved a red for the sheer deliberate intent!

He didn’t even try to disguise it and it was as cynical a foul as you’ll ever see. Not dangerous, just utterly blatant. 

6 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

What about foul on O’Dowda? Any chance of red as last man? Or too far away from goal? Just not a clear memory of the whole pitch at that point

My initial reaction was that it should have been a red. Yes, it was a quite a long way from goal but O'Dowda was travelling at quite a speed and would have gone through on goal. The defender clearly denied a goal scoring opportunity.

I haven't seen any highlights so maybe wrong, but even though there may have been another defender I don't think he was catching O'Dowda 

12 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

He deserved a red for the sheer deliberate intent!

He didn’t even try to disguise it and it was as cynical a foul as you’ll ever see. Not dangerous, just utterly blatant. 

Agreed, there does need to be an some sort of additional punishment for this type of act, as it was so cynical.

26 minutes ago, pride of the west said:

I thought it should have been a red to be honest under dangerous tackle category rather than possible last man situation. 

O'dowda running full pelt only to be body checked could have caused some serious damage to him. 

Good call, the challenge was fairly brutal!

1 hour ago, Bar BS3 said:

Absolutely. An “orange card” should bring 20 mins off the pitch or something. 

A sin bin trial is underway at lower levels in parts of the country.

Long overdue and absolutely essential for yellow cards such as the foul on O'Dowda.

http://www.sussexfa.com/news/2018/aug/01/sin-bins-pilot-to-continue-in-2018-19-season

1 hour ago, pride of the west said:

I thought it should have been a red to be honest under dangerous tackle category rather than possible last man situation. 

O'dowda running full pelt only to be body checked could have caused some serious damage to him. 

Glad someone sees it my way. I thought it was nasty, and not just a "professional" foul.

Just because you're losing comes to mind.

2 hours ago, JoeAman08 said:

What about foul on O’Dowda? Any chance of red as last man? Or too far away from goal? Just not a clear memory of the whole pitch at that point

I thought it was way to far out to give a red, it was obviously a deliberate foul as COD was flying, closer to the box and I think it would have been red

22 minutes ago, Tinmans Love Child said:

I thought it was way to far out to give a red, it was obviously a deliberate foul as COD was flying, closer to the box and I think it would have been red

It surely has to be a red as both a dangerous tackle with no attempt to play the ball and last defender except keeper.

1 hour ago, Xiled said:

A sin bin trial is underway at lower levels in parts of the country.

Long overdue and absolutely essential for yellow cards such as the foul on O'Dowda.

http://www.sussexfa.com/news/2018/aug/01/sin-bins-pilot-to-continue-in-2018-19-season

About time. It's the team that gets transgressed against that should gain an advantage.  Not some other team that the offending team subsequently play later that should benefit from a possible ban.  

There was another defender coming across so that the Sheff Utd player wasn't the last man. However the foul was cynical, blatant and possibly dangerous, so deserved more than the yellow it produced.

As for the handball, without a replay, you couldn't tell from the Lansdown stand, even though it was right in front of us.

Archived