IGNORED

A little word for this guy

AppyDAZE

At fault for one one goal probably (but hey, show me any keeper) but I say this guy has been outstanding in his short time here so far.

Commands his box, claims stuff, punches well, gets on and has an understanding with the defence, and just has that look about him.

So pleased for the man, and for us fans that Niki Maenpaa is BCFC keeper this season. Great signing

Well played, fella well played, Niki

jmp_niki_maenpaa_signs_for_bristol_city_rs_012.jpg

9 minutes ago, AppyDAZE said:

At fault for one one goal probably (but hey, show me any keeper) but I say this guy has been outstanding in his short time here so far.

Commands his box, claims stuff, punches well, gets on and has an understanding with the defence, and just has that look about him.

So pleased for the man, and for us fans that Niki is a City player this season.

Well played, fella well played, Niki

jmp_niki_maenpaa_signs_for_bristol_city_rs_012.jpg

I want to like him but for some reason cannot.

Think the error against Blackburn has really knocked my confidence and I think he could the same at anytime.

Think overall I would rather have Frankie.

4 minutes ago, boatman said:

I want to like him but for some reason cannot.

Think the error against Blackburn has really knocked my confidence and I think he could the same at anytime.

Think overall I would rather have Frankie.

I think you're being funny or are in the minority..   all about opinions, but i think he's been very very cool

Made a decent save at the beginning of the second half, but his distribution on Saturday was the worst that we have seen from him. As for dominating the box for crosses, the answer is no. Competent at this level rather than outstanding would be my impression so far, and definitely helped by having Kalas in front of him.

Re; dominating the box.

He confidently takes every cross; wades into goalmouth melees to punch the ball away with real power; is quick of his line when there are threats that need meeting, and his extra height means he's probably reached the odd shot FF couldn't.

Minus point: a sometimes dubious decision to play out of trouble and be far too relaxed with the ball at his feet in the face of opponents.

Re: distribution. Better than Frank. No question.

Overall. I like him. My choice between the sticks this season.

I am happy we have got two experienced and reliable Championship performers in Nikki and Frankie. They have different strengths and weaknesses but they are both decent keepers. At the moment Nikki deserves the jersey because one mistake against Blackburn aside he has been very good.

14 hours ago, Red-Robbo said:

Re; dominating the box.

He confidently takes every cross; wades into goalmouth melees to punch the ball away with real power; is quick of his line when there are threats that need meeting, and his extra height means he's probably reached the odd shot FF couldn't.

Minus point: a sometimes dubious decision to play out of trouble and be far too relaxed with the ball at his feet in the face of opponents.

Absolutely spot on.

16 hours ago, Red-Robbo said:

Re; dominating the box.

This is how I see it. He generally has had little to do but has dealt with every cross close to him. Kicking seems better but does not seem to aim for the touchline as often. Perhaps the nominal gain has been deemed not worth it at the expense of the keepers confidence? Has had a few dodgy moments but surely to be expected after minimal game time for a few seasons and a new team who also has a new defense? 

19 hours ago, Spoons said:

Early days but started well. Not sure he commands the box though?

Seems a good free transfer.

He certainly commands it much more than FF, who generally always opts to stay on his line. Fielding's strength was/is good reflexes for close range shot stopping, in all other areas (long range shot stopping, dealing with crosses, distribution) Maenpa has showed himself better than FF for me.

26 minutes ago, reddoh said:

not sure if you are after a Toni or maybe looking to grow some basil

it took me 40 minutes via another post containing "the  Spanish Inquisition" which got John Cleese "Basil" and eventually Toni flowed back into Memory. Sadly had a very clear memory of her dancing it think that makes me a pervert. 

12 minutes ago, reddoh said:

it took me 40 minutes via another post containing "the  Spanish Inquisition" which got John Cleese "Basil" and eventually Toni flowed back into Memory. Sadly had a very clear memory of her dancing it think that makes me a pervert. 

This isn’t gonna help!

98E3FE1F-3E82-45FB-B26A-FE5E991C8747.jpeg

Been really impressed so far. Decent commanding performances, a good physical presence, yet seems a relatively quiet and unassuming personality. Just surprised that we seemed to umm and ahh for so long about signing him. I know we were probably looking at other options for most of the summer, but looking at things so far getting him in has been an absolute no brainer.

Well done mate, keep up the good work...!!!

Archived