IGNORED

Ibrahimovic Goal

Mr Ed

27 minutes ago, Mr Ed said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/45546065

Not many players would have tried that.

Goals like that separate very good players from truly outstanding ones. Most players can conceive of hitting a ball from 30 yards into the top corner, and will sometimes pull it off. But very few would even have the vision to attempt what Zlatan did there, and even fewer would have the talent to execute it. Exceptional.

It was an amazing goal, but one thing that stood out from the TV coverage was that there were so many fans in the stadium wearing Man Utd shirts with Ibrahimovic on the back, during a match between LA Galaxy and Toronto FC.

What made this even worse was that they changed camera to a fan celebrating the LA Galaxy goal in the home section, alongside Toronto fans, while wearing a Man Utd shirt.

?‍♂️

1 minute ago, EnderMB said:

It was an amazing goal, but one thing that stood out from the TV coverage was that there were so many fans in the stadium wearing Man Utd shirts with Ibrahimovic on the back, during a match between LA Galaxy and Toronto FC.

What made this even worse was that they changed camera to a fan celebrating the LA Galaxy goal in the home section, alongside Toronto fans, while wearing a Man Utd shirt.

?‍♂️

You facepalm it, but that's from our perspective as tribal British football supporters where no one would dream of wearing another team's colours at the game.  It's just a different culture over there, they do things differently, and there's nothing actually wrong with that.

3 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

You facepalm it, but that's from our perspective as tribal British football supporters where no one would dream of wearing another team's colours at the game.  It's just a different culture over there, they do things differently, and there's nothing actually wrong with that.

I've not got anything against casual fans attending match purely to see what is essentially a celebrity, but you have to have an overwhelming lack of self-awareness to think that it's a good idea to sit in a section for home fans and wildly celebrate when the home team concedes.

8 minutes ago, EnderMB said:

I've not got anything against casual fans attending match purely to see what is essentially a celebrity, but you have to have an overwhelming lack of self-awareness to think that it's a good idea to sit in a section for home fans and wildly celebrate when the home team concedes.

But did the home fans react?  Or were they not bothered?  If he was able to celebrate in that area without any reaction, then there's no lack of self-awareness, just an understanding of the football culture in that country and what is considered acceptable.  It's not dissimilar to rugby here, where there is no segregation and you frequently see someone celebrating a try next to someone else looking disappointed.

26 minutes ago, EnderMB said:

As ChippenhamRed said, completely different culture there

1 hour ago, EnderMB said:

Nothing bad happened did it? It would be a bad idea here while watching football, but this is a different country who have their own ways of watching the sport.

Home fans tend to outnumber away fans in any sporting event there but you usually don’t get to many travelling fans. It is usually the fans coming to see their team when they come to town. Possibly because the country is so large it makes travel for a game difficult. Rarely do you get much trouble but there have been bad incidents like stabbings and such after sporting events. Usually NFL. Also, top athletes are more of a draw there than here. Most NBA games I have been to is to see a specific player and not really for either team. 

On ‎18‎/‎09‎/‎2018 at 06:06, WarksRobin said:

But can he do it on a cold December Tuesday night in Bristol?

Mind you, he did score their consolation goal though!

Joking aside, I was so pleased when I saw he was playing that night - I thought he was going to be one of the modern greats that I was going to miss seeing play in the flesh and can tick him off the list now. After Man City and getting Aguero & Silva, it`s just Messi & Ronaldo to get now before they retire.

Archived