IGNORED

Ridiculous July Optimism!

BS4 on Tour...

Am I the only one who suffers from ridiculous July optimism? It is an annual affliction that I really cannot explain.

Basically at this time each year I believe that City are going to be promoted by Christmas with all new signings proving to be the best players in the division. I'm also convinced that at least 3 strikers will hit 20 goals plus and the defence will be watertight.

But what do I base this on? Well this is where I am confused because I grew up watching our beloved team when we were struggling in Div 4 waiting for Terry Cooper to come and rescue us.

But what great memories I have of that team. My hero was (and still is) Glyn Riley - no.6, up front, long hair, clenched fists when he scored - glorious!

I will never forget the endeavours of players such as Steve Neville, Bruce Halliday, Alan Crawford, Kenny Stroud, Rob Newman etc etc etc.

Surely their finest moment was December 10th 1983, FA Cup tie at Eastville

Gas Squatting Vultures 1 City Super-Redz 2

They were flying high and we weren't! And an ex-Bristol university student scored the late winner with a mishit shot! I have never celebrated a goal with such delirum as that one!

So, to get back to the point, given my introduction to the Reds - why am I so optimistic every July? :D

Aaah Forbes Phillipson Masters was it? Poshest footballer known to man!

I too suffer from similar woes, but this year its worse than ever. I'm really struggling not to get too excited.

He's not that posh.. he painted my front living room in the mid 80's....

Ahh memeories of city greats....

You're not the only one mate.

Last year I put money on Lee Miller being the top scorer in the division.......

This year I've put money on both Heffernan and Gillespie being top scorer......

But this year it feels different - with Wilson out the way I have a genuine sense of excitement about the forthcoming season.

Promoted by Xmas? Nah, but Easter looks good..... :D

Guest 21palmyra
Am I the only one who suffers from ridiculous July optimism? It is an annual affliction that I really cannot explain.

Basically at this time each year I believe that City are going to be promoted by Christmas with all new signings proving to be the best players in the division. I'm also convinced that at least 3 strikers will hit 20 goals plus and the defence will be watertight.

But what do I base this on? Well this is where I am confused because I grew up watching our beloved team when we were struggling in Div 4 waiting for Terry Cooper to come and rescue us.

But what great memories I have of that team. My hero was (and still is) Glyn Riley - no.6, up front, long hair, clenched fists when he scored - glorious!

I will never forget the endeavours of players such as Steve Neville, Bruce Halliday, Alan Crawford, Kenny Stroud, Rob Newman etc etc etc.

Surely their finest moment was December 10th 1983, FA Cup tie at Eastville

Gas Squatting Vultures 1 City Super-Redz 2

They were flying high and we weren't! And an ex-Bristol university student scored the late winner with a mishit shot! I have never celebrated a goal with such delirum as that one!

So, to get back to the point, given my introduction to the Reds - why am I so optimistic every July?  :D

Martin Hirst, I think, scored the winner. Remember listening to it on Radio Bristol having tea. Whole family went mental!!!!!!!!

When will you lot ever learn ? I've supported City since 1966 and they do this to you every year , it's always the same , every July we look GREAT then this is normally followed by a slow start , which we always believe they will sort out , and normally they do up untill the New Year when more often or not they then furkin up big time before making a late rally after Easter which is never quite enough.

The secret to avoiding permanent heart trouble as a City fan is to take one game at a time and NEVER look forward to what might be , it's a bit like raising kids , give everything and expect nothing back in return.

And why do we do it , because every now and then they do it , they really do (I was at Highbury when Cheesley scored the winner) and of course this year MUST be it

:D:D:D:D:D

I am trying to be more realistic this year although sometimes i think i am pessimistic!. I think we will finish 10th becasue i dont feel we will be strong enough at the back without Carey. I dont like the idea of Fortune playing a lot (though i hope i am proved wrong). I dont think Alun Armstrong is right player (again i hope i am wrong). I just think after losing a.brown as well we will be missing that cut above the rest.

If we have any chance of going up i think the team will have to be (with the players we currently have).

---------------------Phillips------

New right back-----Coles------Butler-----------Hill

Murray------Doherty---------Orr/Wilkshire---Bell

-------------Heffernan------Miller

Gillespie could be good.

I haven't been so optimistic at the start of a season for a good few years. Somerset Cricket are having a deadful time, and with a knackered Olympics Squad to "look forward" to, there has to be at least 1 bright spot on the Horizon.

Archived